Shirley Conran's "Savages"

Oblomov

A book that I bought almost 20 years ago, read, liked but lost soon afterwards was an unlikely thriller called Savages by Shirley Conran. I was certain that I had lost it while on a trip to the Lake District in 1988 but I found the same copy yesterday while clearing out some boxes in the attic. It is quite an unusual story and I wondered if any of you had read it?

I have it and have re-read it several times - it's on my "permanently keep" book case as I love it so much. I think it's exceptionally well-written with very believable characters who evolve throughout the plot, and very tense (yet, still believable) situations. I've always thought it would make a wonderful movie, but I've no idea who I would cast in any of the roles.

Actually, I've not read it in some time - perhaps it's time for a re-read soon!

I love that it's about pampered women who are forced to fend for themselves in a volatile situation, testing their strength, resolve and resourcefulness. It's one of the books I'd want with me if I were stuck on an island somewhere, that's for sure, as it's full of useful hints and tips (like turning your bra into a utility belt and using the cups of it for fishing, and using your socks for straining bits out of water, and how to go about testing unfamiliar food, and how not to eat only coconut or get pawpaw juice in your eyes, and a million other things!).

I love that it's about pampered women who are forced to fend for themselves in a volatile situation, testing their strength, resolve and resourcefulness. It's one of the books I'd want with me if I were stuck on an island somewhere, that's for sure, as it's full of useful hints and tips (like turning your bra into a utility belt and using the cups of it for fishing, and using your socks for straining bits out of water, and how to go about testing unfamiliar food, and how not to eat only coconut or get pawpaw juice in your eyes, and a million other things!).

I asked a few of my lady friends who also had read the book at the time which particular character of the 5 marooned women they identified with most. Almost exclusively, the answer was the relatively calm, level-headed (but also the most unadventurous of the lot) Carey. That was 20 years ago; I bet people will think differently now.

Carey's character in the book is interesting. She gets the most lines of the five women and comes closest to being the 'leader' although they never agree on any one person's decision. Still Carey actually contributes relatively few ideas to their survival & escape plan; her main role seems to be to keep the more volatile other four calm and together.

I thought no one else had even heard of it! Odd that it was never made into a film - it certainly had material for it. Aromaannie, did you think that the plot was implausible or OTT?

I loved the plot and remember being excited all the way through wondering what would happen next. I can't remember why I bought it in the first place but was so glad I did:D

Funnily enough, my morning commute reading is King's Lisey's Story, and he's just mentioned this story, and how the women use their bras as slingshots!

Funnily enough, my morning commute reading is King's Lisey's Story, and he's just mentioned this story, and how the women use their bras as slingshots!

The story is full of such innovations that the trapped women use to overcome their situation. Considering that they all start out as spoilt, ultra-rich wives who never did a day's work in their lives, the title is very appropriate.:)

I seem to remember having picked it up many years ago and only reading a few pages. I forget now what put me off, but I have never finished, well, I hardly started actually.

I seem to remember having picked it up many years ago and only reading a few pages. I forget now what put me off, but I have never finished, well, I hardly started actually.
I recall that I was put off my it several times because of the apparently similar theme to William Golding's Lord of the Flies, a story which I recognise as a classic but personally detest. That story delves too deeply into the bestial side of human nature, the kind of depravity which I prefer to avoid even if the storyline is good.

But in Savages, the characters remain on the recognised human side of the barrier despite their progressively enforced reliance on more basic instincts. On the face of it, some plot twists and writing style are undoubtedly commercially motivated but despite that, Savages remains a story of extreme innovation and survival against the odds. There is a bit more to the book than meets the eye and I for one quite like it.

I recall that I was put off my it several times because of the apparently similar theme to William Golding's Lord of the Flies, a story which I recognise as a classic but personally detest. That story delves too deeply into the bestial side of human nature, the kind of depravity which I prefer to avoid even if the storyline is good.

But in Savages, the characters remain on the recognised human side of the barrier despite their progressively enforced reliance on more basic instincts. On the face of it, some plot twists and writing style are undoubtedly commercially motivated but despite that, Savages remains a story of extreme innovation and survival against the odds. There is a bit more to the book than meets the eye and I for one quite like it.

That sounds like the vibe I got at the time. Agree fully on Lord of the Flies. /shiver/ Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I just finished Lisey's Story too, and noticed the reference to Savages. What's more, I had just read Alan Bennett's The Uncommon Reader in which the Queen was also reading the book. Having read this thread Savages made its way to my TBR. Thanks! :lol:

It's a little dated at the beginning as the fashions described are decidedly 80s, but the story itself is pretty timeless and very well-written.