The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen

frankie

Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen is a Finnish author I'd never even heard of a few months ago :blush: When poppyshake asked me if I'd read The Rabbit Back Literature Society, I had to wonder why she asked me. Then I googled the book and realized it was the name of an English title by a Finnish author!  :doh:

I googled the blurb and it sounded promising: 

Only very special people are chosen by children's author Laura White to join 'The Society', an elite group of writers in the small town of Rabbit Back. Now a tenth member has been selected: Ella, literature teacher and possessor of beautifully curving lips. But soon Ella discovers that the Society is not what it seems. What is its mysterious ritual, 'The Game'? What explains the strange disappearance that occurs at Laura's winter party, in a whirlwind of snow? Why are the words inside books starting to rearrange them- selves? Was there once another tenth member, before her? Slowly, disturbing secrets that had been buried come to light... In this chilling, darkly funny novel, the uncanny brushes up against the everyday in the most beguiling and unexpected of ways.

I immediately placed a reservation for a copy and got the book in a few days and then read it. And fell in love! :smile2: 

I don't read a lot of Finnish literature, to be honest. The books I do read, are usually good. But this was more than just good. And I particularly liked it how there were fantastical elements in the book. I don't think I've read any fantasy/sci-fi/speculative fiction novels by Finnish authors before... 

The reason I think poppyshake became aware of the book is the fact that the book has made its way to a Waterstone's list. This is from Jääskeläinen's own website:  

Join our Autumn Book Club

Introducing our selection of the best books to chat about with your book clubs – or just devour on your own – this autumn.

Our twelve new Waterstones Book Club titles are sure to cheer you up as the nights set in.

As ever, each week we’ll be sharing extracts and articles from our Book Club authors about their work – so be sure to check back. For now, here’s why we love these books – and think you will too…

Young Ella returns to her home town of Rabbit Back as a literature teacher and finds herself invited to become the tenth member of the Rabbit Back Literature Society. The Society was set-up by the renowned children’s author Laura White to nurture young writers. Following an incident at Laura White’s home Ella begins to unravel the Society’s secrets and tries to get to the heart of the Rabbit Back Literature Society.

The eclectic and eccentric characters make this more than a mystery story. There is a real sense of foreboding as well as moments of dark humour. This book draws you in and keeps you entwined with it’s beautiful and magical prose. – Sharon, Waterstones Maidstone Fremlin Walk

I personally highly recommend this book to anyone who's interested in a bit of fantasy/speculative fiction, and who's interested in reading something by a Finnish author :smile2: 

• 4 weeks later...

Wohoo for Jääskeläinen popping up everywhere! Awareness! :exc:

So far Jääskeläinen has written the following books: 

Missä junat kääntyvät (short story collection) in 2000

The Rabbit Back Literature Society (Lumikko ja yhdeksän muuta), 2006

Taivaalta pudonnut eläintarha (short story collection) in 2008

Harjukaupungin salakäytävät, 2010

Sielut kulkevat sateessa, 2013 

Edit: Kylie, I have a dream. I want the FTBC people to read TRBLS :wub::blush: I don't think they've read any Finnish books so far. I wonder how one goes about campaigning a book to them peoples...? :D 

Edited by frankie