The nearest book to you

Anna Begins

This comes from the wonderful bookadayuk.

What is the closest book to you?  If you are near a book shelf, what's the first book you see?  If you have a Kindle, do the same.

First one I see is Memoirs of a Geisha.

My kindle is half an arm away, but sitting by my left shoulder is a favourite reference book of mine, 'Brewer's Dictionary Of Phrase & Fable ~ Millennium Edition'. It's a great book to just peruse for a while, and super when you need to look up where a certain phrase in English may have come from.

Random fact from book; Did you know that the Magnolia tree is named after Pierre Magnol (1638-1715), a professor of botany at Montpelier? :D

From my kindle the closest book is 'Chaos' by Sarah Fine, the final book in a trilogy that I have really enjoyed two from. Can't wait to start this last one! :smile:

Edited by Chrissy

First time. :)   I've read 49% so far.   The problem is Book Club is tomorrow night...  :o   I am going to have to do some serious reading tomorrow!  I have to wait in for a delivery from Next between 7.30am and 12.00pm - I'm hoping it arrives nearer the end of that estimate so I can justify reading whilst I wait in!  :giggle:

I'm *loving* it!  :)

I'm *loving* it!  :)

So pleased to hear that!  If you review it, I'll be looking forward to that!  And to hear what your book club has to say about it.  GL finishing it! :smile:  :readingtwo:  It should go pretty fast.

Edited by Anna Begins

READ IT!!!!!! :D

The closest one to me is The Red Pony - John Steinbeck

I will, I will! :blush: Some day, I promise!

At the moment the nearest book to me is Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. I got it from a friend, he had a copy for some reason and didn't need or want it and he gave it to me! :wub: This is a brand new copy, and originally cost 40,10e at a bookstore, and the discount price was 29,90e. 

Beats my old dictionary in many ways: more words, newer words, and the copy's more flexible and easier to handle :wub: 

I will, I will! :blush: Some day, I promise!

I know .. I'm not nagging  :D I should be the last person to nag about un-read books  :blush2: 

At the moment the nearest book to me is Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. I got it from a friend, he had a copy for some reason and didn't need or want it and he gave it to me! :wub: This is a brand new copy, and originally cost 40,10e at a bookstore, and the discount price was 29,90e. 

Beats my old dictionary in many ways: more words, newer words, and the copy's more flexible and easier to handle :wub:

Ooh .. that's brilliant :) Look up a word. Has it got innit .. in it? :D 

I know .. I'm not nagging. I should be the last person to nag about un-read books  

A little encouragement is always welcome :yes: I'm just awfully busy with my library books at the moment, I'm too excited about the new selection of the southern libraries :wub:

Ooh .. that's brilliant :) Look up a word. Has it got innit .. in it? :D 

:lol: Let's see!

Yes, 'innit' is in it :lol: Oh hell! You know what the example sentence is? I'm not happy with this.... "Did you see the way Schumacher went past him?" "Innit."

They should've said Häkkinen!!

:lol:

And just to see if the new dictionary is better: do they have an entry for 'innit' in my old dictionary? No, they don't :o Innit! Well spotted, poppyshake :D

A little encouragement is always welcome :yes: I'm just awfully busy with my library books at the moment, I'm too excited about the new selection of the southern libraries :wub:

How lovely. Books on the shelves can wait .. much more fun to lick all the books in the new libraries :D

Let's see!

Yes, 'innit' is in it :lol: Oh hell! You know what the example sentence is? I'm not happy with this.... "Did you see the way Schumacher went past him?" "Innit."

They should've said Häkkinen!!

And just to see if the new dictionary is better: do they have an entry for 'innit' in my old dictionary? No, they don't :o Innit! Well spotted, poppyshake :D

:D Well done me .. I am down with the kids :D 

Definitely should have said Häkkinen! :)