Favorite words?

Anna Begins

I searched and couldn't find anything so... Anyone have some favorite words?  Any language would be interesting...  I am particular to the word Erudite (wise) and I love the sound of Sphere (round like a Globe).

I've never thought about having any favourite words to be honest. There are lots of nice words in Dutch and English. Though I guess I like 'gezellig', because English doesn't have a good translation for it :P. But I don't have any favourite words really. It's great to read and learn about all your favourite words though. I didn't know the words candor or erudite before I read Divergent.

But I don't have any favourite words really. It's great to read and learn about all your favourite words though. I didn't know the words candor or erudite before I read Divergent.

Me neither, but I am surprised how often Erudite comes up in the books I read.  I'm wondering how many times I've read it and just understood it in context.

Click

:P  :giggle2:

Oh you :giggle2:

• 3 weeks later...

Riggwelter.

It's a Yorkshire Dales word for a sheep that's stuck on its back.

Sadly I've only ever had chance to use it once in conversation.

Maybe you should visit New Zealand. There's more sheep here than people and I'm sure you'd find an opportunity to use it once you got out of the cities.  Nobody would know what you're talking about, (we call it cast) but that's beside the point :giggle2: 

There are so many that I can't remember them all. Sometimes they are favorites because of their meaning, sometimes I just like them because of their pronunciation. 

The first that came to mind is 'coagulate'. I just love the sound of the word, the pronunciation. Whenever I'm listening to X-mas in Hell by Sixx:A.M., I listen carefully to hear Nikki Sixx say 'coagulate' :blush: Edit: Or actually, I don't know if it's James Michael who's reading the text. Anyhow.

Edited by frankie

Serene

1495-1505; < from the Latin word serēnus (of the sky, weather) clear, unclouded

1. peaceful or tranquil; calm
2. clear or bright: a serene sky
3. (often capital) honoured: used as part of certain royal titles: His Serene Highness

Ingénue

[ˌæn ʒeɪˈnjuː]

originally from the Latin word ingenuus

1. An innocent, unsophisticated, naïve, wholesome girl or young woman.

2. A dramatic role of such a woman; an actress playing such a role.

Längtan

ä = æ [læng'ta:n]

Swedish word (noun) for longing, desire, urge, yearning

Ingenting

Swedish word (pronoun) for nothing

• 2 weeks later...