Guardian children's fiction award shortlist 2014

Michelle

Judge Katherine Rundell (author of the multi-prize winning Rooftoppers) said “It’s a shortlist to revel in; four very different books that share intelligence and heart as their common denominator.”

Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo. Judge Frank Cottrell Boyce said: “Squirrel acquires superpowers after collision with lawn mower - you KNOW you want to know more.”

The Dark Wild by Piers Torday. Judge Katherine Rundell was wowed by: “an adventure boldly imagined and brilliantly executed: full of suspense without ever sacrificing warmth and wit.”

We Were Liars by E Lockhart. Judge Gillian Cross found it: “a wise, subtle book about grief and guilt. It needs to be read at least twice.” 

Phoenix by SF Said. Judge Frank Cottrell Boyce called SF Said’s space epic “Big, bold, beautiful. Great to read aloud. A wonder to hold in your hand.”

Flora and Ulysses looks so cute, with some good reviews. I'm tempted to pick it up for Amy (and maybe take a look myself!) We Were Liars I've already read, and really liked (although Claire wasn't so keen). I follow Piers Torday and SF Said on twitter.. I'm surprised they've gone for The Dark Wild, as it's the 2nd book, with The Last Wild being the 1st.. I keep meaning to get hold of it, again for both me and Amy. Phoenix I've already bought, but haven't yet read. Amy's read Varsak Paw by him, and she loved it. 

Has anyone else read any of them, or may now be interested?

I do love the covers of children's books (especially those first two listed). I didn't know We Were Liars was a children's book. I recognised the cover straight away as I have seen it on Amazon (maybe on one of their deals pages). Sounds interesting, so I've added it to my wishlist.

As you've already mentioned Michelle, I've read We Were Liars - I did enjoy it, but I wasn't blown away by it like lots of other people seem to have been. :)

I haven't read The Dark Wild, but I did read The Last Wild which was the first book, and thought it was very good (and I also read Rundell's Rooftoppers which was brilliant, so if she recommends it, that's a good start for me :D).  It's aimed more at the 9-12 age range, which seems to now be called Middle Grade (shorted to MG) so for younger children than YA.

I don't know anything about the other two, but from Frank Cottrell Boyce's comment about Flora & Ulysses, he's right, I DO want to read more! :lol: