Outlander

Athena

There's a new TV series based on Diana Gabaldon's Outlander book series, called Outlander. I have several books of the series on my TBR. HBO will broadcast the first episode in the Netherlands next week so I thought I'd give it a go and watch it. I've seen I think it was Kell? posting in another thread about it. I've heard good things, so I thought I might give the series a go now that they'll be shown on TV here soon. I'm unsure though if it'll be the full season or whether there'll be a break in the middle, as I heard from someone there's a gap of a few months between the first and second half of the season, but I'm not sure if this will be true or not. I just need to remind myself to tune in to the TV at the right time or record it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I watched the first episode yesterday and liked it. It wasn't brilliant but I'm intruiged to watch more of it (and read the book series, obviously. I have the first and seventh book). I was glad for the subtitles because sometimes the characters spoke really fast or mumbled a bit.

I've read the series, but I can't say I am attracted to the TV series.....I've seen the pictures of the actors, and a trailer. So, while I guess their presentation is accurate enough I like my own vision better.

I'm interested in reading your reactions, and your comparisons when you do read the book(s).

I'm gutted we have to wait till next April for episode 9!!! They've done really well casting the show and keeping true to the spirit of the book. Yes, there are a few changes, but the changes made enhance the TV experience of the story. And I am totally in love with Sam Heughan (who plays Jamie Fraser) - he is just GORGEOUS!!!

I'm interested in reading your reactions, and your comparisons when you do read the book(s).

I'm eager to start reading the books but I only own book 1 and 7 and I'm worried that if I start reading book 1 and like it, that I'll then want to buy every book in the series :D. I'll certainly let you know though when I start reading it.

I'm gutted we have to wait till next April for episode 9!!! They've done really well casting the show and keeping true to the spirit of the book. Yes, there are a few changes, but the changes made enhance the TV experience of the story. And I am totally in love with Sam Heughan (who plays Jamie Fraser) - he is just GORGEOUS!!!

That's not nice at all, having to wait so long!!

I watched the second episode today (it's broadcast past my bedtime so we record it), and I liked it. I look forward to see where the story is going to go. Although I do admit, I have trouble with some of the accents and mumbling of the actors! So glad of the subtitles. I think this will be better in the books, easier for me to read. I might have to start reading the first one soon (after reading some other books I want to read), because I want to find out what happens. I wonder how many episodes they'll broadcast here before we have to wait, maybe they'll do 8 but it's also possible they'll do 5 and split it up that way, they did with Game of Thrones.

• 1 month later...

I just watched episode 8, now it's waiting until April or whenever it is they'll show the rest here (I couldn't find it online).

I thought there were some interesting plot twists, but some episodes were a lot better than others. Some were much slower, others had more action and plot twists.

I don't get on well with the occasional nudity but I suppose it's HBO..

Anyway, I'm curious what's going to happen next in the story, it's possible I'll have read at least book 1 in the series by the time they show more episodes here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We finally binge watched Outlander a couple of weeks ago.  Much better than I thought it would be, and they are very true to the book.  As Kell pointed out there are a few changes, but those changes actually are quite good especially one of them.....when Frank thought he heard Claire calling. 

I checked the e-book version, and they managed 42% of the first book.  Yikes, guys!, how many seasons will this run?????

From the pictures of the actors I saw way back when it was being cast, I have to say I wasn't impressed.  But.  Seeing the actors in action on the screen, I have to say they are good and appropriate.  I absolutely love the faces of the ones aside from Jamie and Claire.  They are just perfectly cast.  That's not to say I'm not liking the actors portraying Jamie and Claire, it's just that the others are so authentic to the surroundings that it amazes me.

Save me from searching. What netwoks does it play on in the U.S. and what nights?

We haven't had cable tv or any incoming tv in about 6 years.  So, I don't know any of those particulars.  We've watched in on Amazon streaming.

The UK will only be able to watch it on Amazon Prime apparently, which is pretty sucky - it should totally be on a proper TV channel.

It's been picked up for a second season of at least 13 episodes, which will be based on Dragonfly In Amber (the second book in the series). If they get commissioned to continue, it looks like they'll most likely do a book per season, and as there are 8 books so far, that's 8 seasons right there, which I, for one, would be very pleased with! (I'm currently half way through the 4th book and loving it!)

It's been picked up for a second season of at least 13 episodes, which will be based on Dragonfly In Amber (the second book in the series). If they get commissioned to continue, it looks like they'll most likely do a book per season, and as there are 8 books so far, that's 8 seasons right there, which I, for one, would be very pleased with! (I'm currently half way through the 4th book and loving it!)

That makes a lot of sense! It's a shame there are no TV channels in the UK showing the series :(.

The UK will only be able to watch it on Amazon Prime apparently, which is pretty sucky - it should totally be on a proper TV channel.

Well, they quite throroughly covered the first 42% of the first book in the first season. Plus they've stopped in mid event, so they'll have to cover at least part of the second half of the first book in the second season. I wonder if they will continue to be as throrough.

I think there are 8 books, so far, so that's 16 seasons :D. Honestly I don't see how that is logistically possible.

Well, they quite throroughly covered the first 42% of the first book in the first season. Plus they've stopped in mid event, so they'll have to cover at least part of the second half of the first book in the second season. I wonder if they will continue to be as throrough.

I think there are 8 books, so far, so that's 16 seasons :D. Honestly I don't see how that is logistically possible.

That wasn't the whole first season - the first season was cut in half by a six month long break, but the episode that will air in April will be episode 9 of season 1. Season 1 will cover the first book and the second season with cover Dragonfly in Amber. It is unclear yet if there will be another huge break in the middle though. I hate the break in the middle. Fans are calling it Droughtlander - LOL!

That wasn't the whole first season - the first season was cut in half by a six month long break, but the episode that will air in April will be episode 9 of season 1. Season 1 will cover the first book and the second season with cover Dragonfly in Amber. It is unclear yet if there will be another huge break in the middle though. I hate the break in the middle. Fans are calling it Droughtlander - LOL!

Ahhhh!  That explains a lot, thanks!

Well, if they had to break in the middle, that was a good spot as what comes next.......! Yikes!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I only realised after watching the whole lot that I actually know one of the main actors on the show! I'd spent the whole time thinking Rupert looked vaguely familiar, only to discover after the fact that he's played by Grant O'Rourke, who I know from my acting days in Fife. He was on the same drama course as I did but a couple of years after me, and he shared a flat with my best mate, so I saw him all the time. Of course, when I knew him he was a fresh-faced, slender young thing, which is why I didn't immediately scream, OMGs! That's Grant!" when I saw him on the screen - LOL! I'm so chuffed, though, because he was one of my favourites on the show, so it gives me the warm fuzzies to think someone I know is on one of my favourite TV shows!

post-3572-0-71330200-1444250223_thumb.jpg

This was Hogmanay 1998 (going into 1999). Grant is back centre with the big shades on. I'm directly in front of him, leaning forward, with short dark hair. Our regular hang-out crowd! Can't believe how different he looks as Rupert.

post-3572-0-89214200-1444250336_thumb.jpe