What cheered you up today?

Athena

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you ladies! :smile2:  :boogie:   Madeleine, it was really, really hard, especially for the first few months. I was never a packet a day -smoker (20 cigarettes or more), and sometimes I'd been off cigarettes for some months and sometimes even a year or two, but then I would slip back. Sometimes I only smoked if I'd had a drink, sometimes I smoked on a daily basis. So I was never a heavy smoker. So even I can't imagine how hard it would be for a very heavy smoker to quit!! It was hard enough for me! :(   I thought about smoking on a daily basis for a while after quitting, but it would get easier and then I'd go a week without thinking about it. It was hardest when I would go to a bar and have a drink, because I used to smoke like a chimney if I'd had alcohol! That was really the hardest for me. What's odd is that sometimes I could get a craving when I smelled someone else smoking, but at other times I would hate the smell and go stand somewhere else. :D  

I used to get cravings on a more frequent basis, but it's definitely easier these days. I don't think about smoking every day and I don't think about it for weeks at a time. Or months. It's the best decision I've ever made :smile2:   And yeah, I do still get a craving, but very rarely. Sometimes if I'm having a really bad day, I think, I would definitely go for a smoke right now if I still smoked. But I don't. 

Oddly enough, when I was writing this, I remembered I had a dream about cigarettes last night! :D  I smoked two and then I thought, Oh dear, I was supposed to have quit this thing! I was so annoyed at myself! :D Thankfully it was just a dream. 

Congratulations Frankie! That's fantastic! :balloons:

I too am an ex-smoker and I remember it being incredibly hard to give up. I was a 20 a day smoker! It's been nearly 22 years for me! Wow - that makes me feel old!

Still it goes to show the hard work is worth it. If I hadn't have quit back then, I'd have done 22 years more damage to my health.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Well done, frankie, that's awesome!

I gave up smoking nine years ago, when I first got my birds.  Birds have delicate respiratory systems, so cigarette smoke can cause them problems.  I was never a heavy smoker, so didn't find that I missed it much at all, thankfully.  And I still have the same birds!  :wub:

Congrats Frankie, and well done to everyone who's given up. I've smoked the odd one over the years, but it never took as a habit. Usually it was 'everyone's out chatting in the smoking area' and it turned into the odd cig with a drink. And I went through the typical 1st year college student of 'I'm old enough to buy them, try them, and parents will never know,' but it still never took, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest not having them. My addiction is food (and emotional eating) instead! Still trying to make small changes that will last on that front, but who knows if I'll ever manage it.

On the cheering up front, a new mattress arrived today, yay! The one in our spare room has been awful, so it'll be good to have a new one for nights when one of us is snoring or sick. (I'm sick with a cold at the moment and the last few nights have not been fun!)

Took three of my grandsons to the zoo. It's my youngest 6th birthday and it fell on free Friday!  The zoo is free to the public every Friday in January and February. The weather is absolutely PERFECT for it!  What makes it even better is that when I went into the pizza shop I bought five slices totalling $16.75. It wasn't till I was about to pay for it that I realized I could have gotten a WHOLE pie for $1 more. I asked the cashier of I could change the order and you know what he did? He gave me the pie for FREE!! What would have easily cost $100 for the day only cost $16 for the original slices! And the boys are happy!! 

Went bowling last night and achieved personal best of 72, including two strikes one after the other.  Last time I went I only managed a score of 52, so this is a vast improvement, and I didn't come last either!  Not that I'm competitive or anything.....

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a used book from the US and got sent the wrong one ; the bookseller refunded the money and let me keep the `wrong` book :boogie: ( it`s an omnibus from around 1950; one of the books is from a series by Charlotte Murray Russell, from which I`ve read - and enjoyed - two books. Another of the books is from one of my Dad`s favourite authors. :D )

I`d also emailed a small US publisher a couple of weeks ago ; I`m a huge fan of Frances Crane`s cosy mysteries from the 1940`s onwards ( she was originally a journalist who was kicked out of Nazi Germany for being vocal about anti-semitism ; her books reflect her anti-racism views ) - I saw that the books were getting republished for Kindle in the US, and asked if they might become available in the UK. The publisher got back to me and said unfortunately, he had no plans to Kindle publish in the UK, but he - very, very kindly - sent me the 11 kindle books for free ! :o

Would I get a Naughty Point for giving the publisher a plug ? The books are available for US Kindle from $1.99 - $3.99, and are well worth the money, imo. :D