Book Mooch!

Polka Dot Rock

I've just joined BookMooch.com after seeing Louise mention it in her reading blog - does anybody else use it? Do you prefer to other swapping sites?

Also, does anyone think it would be also worth signing up with Read It, Swap It?

I do both, and like both, you do have to be careful that you remove books that are taken off either inventory (if that makes sense) risi is better for easier to get books whereas bookmooch has a wider range.

For me risi means that I get another book which at the moment I don't need?!? Mooch means you build up points and somehow appears better value, I have received more than I have given (although two of those were to the US) and still have three points!

Ha Ha! And it looks as if it's worldwide..........

yes although some people will only send in their country. There appears to be a bit of a battle developing whereby those people who send abroad will not send books to those people who won't (does that make sense) ie lots of Americans (where postage has gone up recently) say no to worldwide but other people won't send to them then. I say ask.

Ah great stuff! :D I'm glad I've taken the plunge!

Someone's already 'Mooched' from me (sounds wrong doesn't it?! :D) which is great, but have a problem with my first RISI swap - they've lost the book! :motz:Hopefully, it'll all be sorted out soon...

Btw, if anyone wants to add me as a friend on Book Mooch (or RISI, I'm not sure if that has a 'friend' thing on it) - I'm Polka Dot Rock, predictably!

Well, I've joined Book mooch and have listed about 60 books on there. Does anyone else have a problem with that site being particularly slow? I'm on a 4-meg broadband line and it takes FOREVER for each screen to come up!

Incidentally, can anyone tell me how to add friends on Book Mooch? I can't find a button anywhere to take me to where I can do that. If anyone wants to add me, I'm registered as Kell1976.

My experience with BookMooch is going great so far :lol:

I've already sent two, and have another two to despatch tomorrow. One of those is going to Denver, USA :) And in the spirit of global Mooching someone from New Zealand has accepted my request to send a book to the UK, which is lovely! I also have a copy of The True History of the Kelly Gang winging its way across the country.

• 3 months later...

Ah! I just read about Bookmooch.com in a magazine two days ago. I don't think I should join it, though, until I get these library books done, though. And even after that, I saw fifteen or sixteen books at my grandma's I'd like to borrow... Ha! When I do join, I'll look for you BookClubForum people I've come to admire. I don't know what my screenname will be yet. We sure have found some good uses for the World Wide Web!

Speaking of which, from a TV special I couldn't tear my eyes away from, here is a very good way to use your access to the world. In the TV special I saw, the government of Thailand gave a ton of rice to a region with starving families, but the charity needed money for trucks to distribute all of it.

• 5 months later...
I signed up for this and i have gotten ALOT of requests for my books, just to make sure i pay the shipping is that right? Thanks.

Yes - you pay for postage on the books you send and pay nothing on the books you receive.

• 1 month later...
Guest radjack

I just joined in (radjack2) and i have a question.

I really don't understand the points system can anyone explain it to me?

The points system works along these lines:

- For each book you list for swapping from your own collection you get a partial point (I think it's 1/10th of a point per book listed).

- Each book you request costs a certain amount of points dependent on whether it's located in your own country or is coming from abroad (between 1 and 3 points per book). You "spend" these points when your request is accepted and the person posts it to you (they pay the postage - you get the book for free).

- When someone "mooches" a book from you, you get points based on whether you are based in the same country or elsewhere in the world (1 to 3 points per book). These points are then yours to "spend" in the future. you pay the postage on the book you send out.

- When you receive a book you have requested, you leave a comment to let the person know the book arrived safely and whether or not the service was good. You get partial points for doing this (I think it's 1/10th point per book) which get added to your points total.

- If you remove books from your own list (because you've decided not to part with them after all), you get the partial point for that book removed from your total (the same amount as you received for listing it in the first place).

It's a nice, simple system that means you are not obligated to do a straight book-for-book swap (like on Read it Swap it) and so you don't have to choose a book from the requester's list of books that you may not be so interested in reading. You can save up your points and spend them as you please or donate them to the varfious charitable groups that are listed on Book Mooch (which is also very nice).

i hope that's of some help to you. If you have any other questions, give me a shout - I've been on Book Mooch for a little while now and it's great fun. :gl:

It depends on the size and weight of the book, really. You can set your profile to say you'l; only send to people in your own country (which reduces expenses - lots of people do that - myself included).

Guest radjack

thanks kell, you really helped me:blush:

I have had two mooches! Both are from the US. The first one I have said yes to because it was my first but am unsure about the second because I am worried about the cost, does it work out expensive?

I just got one mooch from a person in canada:irked:

Is it expensive to send a book to there?

I live in Portugal.

Anyway they give me 3 points if i send it, so i can get 3 books of 1 point right?

Yes, you could use those three points to mooch 3 x 1-point books from your own country. It's up to the individual to weigh up the pros and cons of the cost of postage abroad versus how many books thay can then mooch with the points they gain.

Edited by Kell

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the moment.. I had a small pile of books, all in really good condition, that weren't selling on GreenMet, so I decided to try BookMooch. Five of them have been snapped up, and yet when I went to search for the books *I* wanted, there are no copies! I know I should have probably checked before, but I have a feeling I'm about to pay postage on 5 books, and be left with points that I can't use. :tong:

• 4 weeks later...

I started using the site last night, and put up an inventory of around about 50-60 books on there.

When I woke up this morning, over a dozen had been mooched!

Cost me over £30 in postage and packaging, so I changed my status to only shipping to the UK for now. Good news is that I suddenly had 35 points to spend.

This evening I went on a mooching binge. Takes a little time to find something you want, but I enjoy the browsing. The result is I have 15-20 books on their way to me, and a wish list of about 70-odd.

three more of my books have been moochied. Looks like another trip to the post office for me tomorrow, but all UK this time so it's not so bad.

I still have 10 points, I think I'm saving them in case any of my wish list titles become available.