Coffee or Tea?

Virginia

The best tea I've ever tasted was a tea blend I bought in Laboe, Germany. Laboe is a very charming tiny municipality close to the city of Kiel. Quite close to Denmark. They have, or at least had, a shop there that sold tea among other things. I bought a tea called "Möwenschiss" (literally translates to seagull shhhhhhh). It was just delicious. Fruity sweet with berries, like I prefer tea. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a tea drinker who has an occasional coffee. If I am out I tend to have coffee, as I can cope with a bad coffee, but not a bad cup of tea.  :blush2:

I love herbal teas too, and have a box of the Rooibos (also known as red bush here I think) in my cupboard. Love it!  :smile:

Coffee? Bleugh! Tea all the way (as you can probably tell from my avatar). I do like the smell of coffee but never could get into the taste.

Despite the UK having the reputation for being a tea lovers country we don't do tea well. It's all low grade tea bags that taste like the shavings off the shop floor. I think we lose so much in the name of convienience.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the UK having the reputation for being a tea lovers country we don't do tea well. It's all low grade tea bags that taste like the shavings off the shop floor. I think we lose so much in the name of convienience.

That's very true!

I couldn't help being reminded of the part in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, where Arther Dent attempts to explain about how to make a really nice cup of tea to the computer of The Heart of Gold!

This is by FAR my new favorite black tea!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IW5LQRQ/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1415392208&sr=1&keywords=yorkshire+tea

I actually had to order it on amazon because I couldn't find it but it was worth it. Yum!

That is one I get as well, but in leaf form. It is lovely!

Also from Amazon.

Edited by pontalba

• 4 weeks later...

I just in love with coffee  :smile: I think I have tried almost all the sorts of it  :D At weekend I am enjoying to spend my free time with my friends sitting in a cosy Cafe drinking and drinking cups of coffee  :D and this coffee smell is all around mmm  :smile:  

Kseniya Malakhova

writer / poet / book illustrator

I just in love with coffee  :smile: I think I have tried almost all the sorts of it  :D At weekend I am enjoying to spend my free time with my friends sitting in a cosy Cafe drinking and drinking cups of coffee  :D and this coffee smell is all around mmm  :smile:  

Kseniya Malakhova

writer / poet / book illustrator

If you want a signature, you can add one for yourself in the Control Panel. Click on your name at the top right of the page, then click on 'My Settings'. A new page loads, on the left you'll see an option 'Signature', it's there that you can add one. It's a few words you can put, that will be at the end of all your posts.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm intrigued by how tea is drunk in the US.  I've never been to the States, but a lot of British people I know who have, say that it's impossible to get a cup of tea that tastes the same over there, and I wondered why our tea tastes so different.  I know people who've said they've even taken their own teabags with them, and making it exactly the same way, it just doesn't taste the same.  I've also seen characters on US television shows make tea, and they always seem to just add water to a tea bag and then leave it in while they drink the tea - can I ask our American friends here - is that how you all make tea, or is that just a shortcut that's used on television?  Also, I've only ever seen speciality teas drunk - do you have blended teas (e.g. our brands are PG Tips, Typhoo), or do you have only individual types of tea (e.g. Assam, Ceylon etc.)?  Also, do you only use individual tea bags or do you use teapots?

There are many different tea bag companies that are in U.S. stores.  Lipton, Twinings, Celestial Seasons. more than I can name actually. Celestial Seasonings is more of a specialty tea...herbal and fruit flavors and decaf tea...bags as far as I know.  Some (others), not as many sell tea leaves loose, although it is becoming more prevalent  I have seen PG Tips (bags)  in the stores here recently as well.  So, there is hope. :D

I'd have to think it is the water itself that makes the tea taste differently.  Whether it is soft or hard, well water, etc.  That can make a world of difference.  I don't know how the public water is treated over there, but all of ours is at the least fluoridated.  .  I don't know if that makes much of any difference in the taste of the water or not.

As far as the television shows........gak!  I know what you mean, and am appalled at the sight of it. :)

I have to add in all honesty though that two of my best friends are British, one from Liverpool and one from Cambridge.  They both seem to only pass the teabag through the boiling water and take it out almost immediately.  I was actually shocked.  I grew up on very strong, long steeped tea, (my Mother was first generation here, parents English) and was very surprised at their actions. /yikes!/

I buy my tea through Amazon, thankfully, have done for some years now.  Taylors of Harrogate's Scottish Breakfast Blend tea leaves.  Make in in a tea pot and drink the pot down all day.   

Thanks, pontalba.  I know people over here who also barely let the water see the teabag, but they are few and far between! :lol:  It's good to know that the television programmes tea practices horrify you as well. :D

Interestingly, I did see an item on television recently, where they were talking to a supplier of tea in England, and he said that companies who produce teabags have come to realise that people are too impatient to wait for tea to brew properly nowadays, and they actually develop blends that don't need as long to steep in the cup to still get the same flavour.  In our house, my parents sound like yours and always wanted strong tea, and when we visited people, my Dad would often shout out to the kitchen to tell people to "leave that teapot alone" if they tried to pour it out too early!

I think you might be right about the water - I think some water authorities fluoridate the water, but I don't think my area does, and I live in a very hard water area, and I know when we go on holiday, the places we often visit have soft water, and the tea doesn't taste right there … in fact, I often stick to coffee or just bottled water on holiday as I can't get used to the taste of the tea. :)

I'm the least fussy person in the world about these drinks! If anything, I usually drink tea, though I occasionally crave coffee. My coffee does have to be very sugary and milky - but my tea - I don't care how strong it is, how milky, how sugary. Don't care what brand, either. Tea is tea, I'll drink it all :P