Vampire, Ghost, Zombie, Werewolf, Human - What does it for you?

Michelle

Hmm, I'm not sure if I have a preference either. I really liked the vampires in Interview with A Vampire by Anne Rice, but think this recent trend of romanticising them (ie. Twilight series, A Discovery of Witches) is just silly. I haven't read much on werewolves or ghosts, and zombies have always been associated with post-apocalyptic settings.

For the scariest, I'd say 'ghosts' ('ghost' movies for me are terrifying) or 'horrific human beings', but for entertainment value I would go with zombies.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not into zombies at all, even though I don't mind them if they come up sometimes. Werewolves I'm not that interested in, either. I don't mind reading about vampires, though, but they are not my favorite... Ghosts are okay, too... I guess I'm trying to say that I'm all about humans being horrific and horrifying :D But I'm up for a mix every now and then. 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I enjoy reading about all types of supernatural creatures, but I wouldn't read, say, everything about a particular supernatural being if I enjoyed one book on the subject. For me, they must be well written (in my opinion, anyway). I love books like Dracula, Frankenstein and The Woman in Black, but I'm not interested in reading Twilight.

I don't read much in the way of crime, but I wouldn't necessarily say I don't like reading about evil humans—it's just that there are many other books I want to read first.

I avoid horror movies with evil humans but love TV shows and movies with supernatural elements (especially vampires) and I've recently become very taken with zombie movies.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can enjoy most "creatures" if it's well written. Skip the romance for one. I like a X-Files type of approach - fairly realistic, pushing it just that bit further to something we maybe just haven't discovered yet.

Haven't found any books that measure up yet ...

• 3 weeks later...

Used to be vampires before they got all Twilight/Anita Blake-y.. I loved the Vampire Chronicle vampires but not the urban fantasy ones. Zombies, nah not so much in books, on telly yes. Werewolves I have never been a fan of. Ghosts or scary humans it's for me these days, or aliens ;)

• 8 months later...

Just finishing the shortie novel about Bree, and I've read all the Twilight series. Quite a miracle for me as I've spent a life avoiding "scary" stuff, but was drawn in by the films, which as usual mentions about half of what goes on in the books.

I did have some problems at first getting comfortable with Edward's "icy touch, arctic kiss (!!!) marble cheek" etc. As a warmbloodded

creature that sounded very uncomfortable and unnatural, but I came to accept it as part of him, eventually.

I seem to be able to accept vampires better than other scary creatures - simply because I (and we, I'm sure) have already experienced other people who can "suck the life" out of any relationship or situation for their advantage, or drain the energy (or the will) from another person. So bloodsuckin' vampires are just an extension of my life experience, already - and let's face it veggie-vampires are less of a threat, too!

I'll proceed cautiously down Scareville Road ... if any of you have suggestions for a novice, I'd be interested to have them - ?

Enjoy your "reads" everyone!

I don't do zombies at all, my favourite supernaturals are probably vampires - I've read all the Twilights although I think they definitely went off after the first 2 books.  I also enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse series (apart from the fae), and have Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series to read, and I'm working my way through the Mortal Instruments series.  I used to love the Vampire Chronicles but I think "Prince Lestat" may have finished them for me.  I read an occasional ghost story but don't really like them too scary!  I enjoyed Sarah Waters' "The Little Stranger".

I try not to read too much of this genre as I think it can be very derivative, also I often find that ghost stories tend to have disappointing endings, which is another reason I don't read that many of them.

I enjoy Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series very much, Madeleine.  I think I have the first 12 books and have read up to 9, No Humans Involved.  I like that each book features some sort of different supernatural being and sometimes they interact and sometimes they're individual stories.

• 3 months later...

No vampires or werewolves for me.. I actually dont know if I would like to read about zombies, I do like movies and series with zombies, so if someone can recommand me a good zombie book, I can give it a try  :smile:  Also love a good ghost story.

And demons who don't exactly look like humans but in some way, they do. Does that make sense?  :mellow: Like orcs..but scarrier and less humanlike. 

• 2 weeks later...

I Guess I just do not get this whole genera. These things are basically evil, I mean they take a religion to be presupposed for their existence - well maybe not zombies (but they are a voodoo thing, so did, before they became some science gone mad thing) I like religions, but then say Vampires, they seem to be from the far evil spectrum of good and evil. Demonic and all. I find it very gross to make any evil attractive and sympathetic. Like if there was a fiction type around Nazi Death Camp guards, Spanish Inquisition torturers, and vivisectionists. You know, evil as the protagonists, but atheist friendly evil.

• 4 months later...

I prefer ghost novels over all the other creature fictions. But I recently started to read this superb web series called Adrian's Undead Diary. It is about a man's survival in zombie apocalypse and it is really awesome!  

I don't mind any supernatural creatures, but I have to say a horrific Human will beat them every time for me - simply because there would presumably be some choice over how they act - the rest, mostly have no choice in how they are.

Except maybe for freaky, homicidal Clowns! [shudders]

When vampires are done in the same vein (get it?) as Twilight or The Vampire Diaries I tend to get tired of them really quickly. There was a period in my life where all I read were those types of books so I don't think I will be able to look at another one like that for years. The same goes for werewolves. If an author were to take a different approach on the mythos, or impress me with their writing or story I would for sure try reading them again. I am reading a vampire book right now but it's not captivating me at all.

Zombies can be a tricky genre for me because most of those books tend to be the same thing. They are running away from the monsters while the world around them is falling to pieces. These books always end the same, because there is no other way for it to conclude. I read a series a while back called Hater by David Moody that was very interesting and encouraged me to give the genre another try.

Zombies can be a tricky genre for me because most of those books tend to be the same thing. They are running away from the monsters while the world around them is falling to pieces. These books always end the same, because there is no other way for it to conclude. I read a series a while back called Hater by David Moody that was very interesting and encouraged me to give the genre another try.

Have you read The Girl With All The Gifts, M.R. Carey?

• 5 weeks later...