Your Book Activity - October 2014

Athena

Muggle Not - I have read The Giver by Lois Lowry and loved it. I'm pretty sure I gave it 5/5 at the time. I've also read two of the sequels (I didn't realise there was a 4th until recently) which are almost as good. It is a young adult title so a fairly easy read but thought provoking. I hear The Giver has been made into a movie now - have not seen it. It was such a good book I'm not sure I want to watch the movie IYGWIM

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read The Giver by Lois Lowry. I have it on hold at the Library and am highly anticipating the book. Amazon gave it high marks.

I've heard of this book, I'm sure several people on here have read it or mentioned it.

I'm just over half-way through The Shining which I'm enjoying but I also find I can't read it too long at once. It needs time to be processed in my head. This doesn't mean it's a bad book or anything, I am quite enjoying it when I do read it. It's just quite an intense story I guess and while it does slow down my reading I do enjoy it so all good. But after this I think I'll pick something that's easier on my brain, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Muggle Not - I have read The Giver by Lois Lowry and loved it. I'm pretty sure I gave it 5/5 at the time. I've also read two of the sequels (I didn't realise there was a 4th until recently) which are almost as good. It is a young adult title so a fairly easy read but thought provoking. I hear The Giver has been made into a movie now - have not seen it. It was such a good book I'm not sure I want to watch the movie IYGWIM

Thanks ladymacbeth. I appreciate the feedback. Now, I am even more anxious to read the book. :) The movie of The Giver has just recently been released.

I am number 24 out of 193 on the waiting list for the kindle version. The library has 23 copies so I should get the book shortly.

Just started The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt and it's brilliant and totally gripping :) Things might change of course but I'm seventy pages in and loving it.

Just downloaded Stephen Fry's new book .. More Fool Me .. from Audible. It hasn't had very good reviews but I've read/listened to the other two and so can't bail/bale (  :shrug: out now. 

I have Dark Places on my TBR pile. After the success of Gone Girl, Amazon put all of her books on sale for £0.20 (Kindle). Needless to say, I snapped them up. :D Alas, like so many others, they still remain on my TBR pile. :doh:

That is the case with so many books! I've started so many older ones, and kicked myself for not starting them sooner because they are so good! :doh::giggle2:

Yep, it's always the case of too many books, too little time :blush: Innit! :giggle2: 

If it's any encouragement... I've just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and I really, really enjoyed it. I thought it was even better than Gone Girl! :smile2: 

If it's any encouragement... I've just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and I really, really enjoyed it. I thought it was even better than Gone Girl! :smile2:

Oh brilliant! I loved Gone Girl, so I'm glad to hear it's as good as, or better. I shall add it to my next reading plan, once I've finished the current one. :smile:

Oh brilliant! I loved Gone Girl, so I'm glad to hear it's as good as, or better. I shall add it to my next reading plan, once I've finished the current one. :smile:

Cool! :) I hope you shall enjoy the book :smile2: (I just reserved a copy of Flynn's Sharp Objects from the library :exc:)

I found a copy of Sophie Kinsella's Wedding Night at the library yesterday and started reading it after I finished Dark Places

I'm in a "classic" mood lately: I'm reading the Bronte sisters and Edgar Allan Poe.. Halloween s coming.

I hope you enjoy your books :). I really liked Jane Eyre when I first read it but I haven't read anything else by the Brontës (I have several on my TBR though). I haven't read anything by Poe yet either.

I'm currently reading R. J. Palacio - Wonder and am quite enjoying it. It's about a ten-year-old boy with a terrible-looking, misformed face (genetic defect I think), he's going to school for the first time. I'm about one quarter into it (~25%) and it's quite good, I like the writing style and it reads easily.

I've managed to catch up with my Nicholas Nickleby chapters!  :doowapstart: 

Due to work this week, haven't had much reading time this week, and it's mostly been in small chunks of between 5 and 20 minutes, but I'm starting later in the mornings for this week only, so I've been trying to fit my lunch break reading in before I start work, but it's been a bit hit and miss.  Still, I have managed more reading than I thought I'd get in, and I've now started The Horologican by Mark Forsyth, which is non-fiction and all about long lost English words, but has chapters that fit nicely into a smaller chunks of reading time, with places to stop in the middle of chapters too, if necessary.  Plus, it's really good! :D  Happy Claire :smile2:

I'm struggling a bit with The Crow Road. It seems to jump about a bit, but it's not helped by me only reading for a few minutes here or there. I've been so tired after work this week, I just haven't had time to 'concentrate' on reading. :doh:

I have finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and sadly remained underwhelmed. I thought it was well written but the storylines didn't blow me away. I then read a bit of The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man but it's not really my cup of tea. I'm thinking I might read a few pages here and there to try and finish it. Have started The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

I am not giving up on MaddAddam.  But I am going to put it down for a few days and read Never Go Back by Lee Child.  It s # 18 in the Jack Reacher series.  I only have one more to read and then a re read and then I am caught up :wacko:  :wink:

I finished Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella last night in bed, it was thoroughly enjoyable :)

What to read next!? :exc:

Um... the next one you find in the library??  :P  Just close your eyes and spin around!

Edited by Anna Begins

Finished The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt .. excellent. I even read the first chapter of his next book which was printed in the back .. something I rarely if ever do and now I'm intrigued to know how it goes on .. but it's not published until next year (what a tease! :D) .. I'll have forgotten it by then :D

Started The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler which is one of the books loaned to me by lovely Claire  :hug:  Only on chapter two but really into it already :) 

My next book is Goldfinger by Ian Fleming. I am only a few chapters into it after a busy week at work but it already feels reassuringly familiar.

I  read every James Bond book by Ian Fleming and really enjoyed almost every one. I gave the set of Bond books to the library when we moved to North Carolina.

I just finished reading "Gunsights" by Elmore Leonard. It was a pretty good Western novel.

I am now reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

Edited by muggle not

I hope you enjoy it, we are big Stephen Hawking fans around here!  Fascinating man.  Fun Fact: We share the same birthday!

I  read every James Bond book by Ian Fleming and really enjoyed almost every one. I gave the set of Bond books to the library when we moved to North Carolina.

I just finished reading "Gunsights" by Elmore Leonard. It was a pretty good Western novel.

I passed on a chance of a second hand set and have been kicking myself ever since. I've opted for the ebook versions for the rest of the Ian Fleming books but I have already noticed a few editing errors which is annoying.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with A Brief History of Time, I've got a copy somewhere but never read it.

Um... the next one you find in the library??  :P  Just close your eyes and spin around!

Problem is, I already have about 20 books borrowed from the library :blush: And what's more, about 10 of them are non-fiction and I really feel like reading a novel, and at the moment none of the loans are calling my name.... :blush: 

I'm about 25% of the way through The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I'm really enjoying it although I don't feel especially emotionally engaged with the main character.

I really enjoyed The Goldfinch. The book had many ups and downs and twists and turns. Every time time you think you know the direction of the book it changes and not until the end are you sure. :)

Edited by muggle not