At what age did you start reading horror?

chesilbeach

I've just said in another thread that I don't read horror, and I think it's partly because I was exposed to very little scary stuff as a child, and genuinely didn't like being scared.  I suffered from nightmares any time I did come across anything spooky or spine-chilling, so have actively avoided it ever since.

It makes me curious though, what age were you when you started reading horror stories, and also, what lead you to them?

The first horror novel I read was King's Pet Sematary, which would have been around 1984, so I was 18.  I can't remember what lead me to that one, exactly, just that I was curious to see if a book could scare me as much as some films did at that time (it did! :hide: ).

I don't remember ever not liking "scary" stuff - I was brought up watching Dracula and Frankenstein (Hammer Horrors) from being 6 or 7 years old. Even books like Funny Bones, when I was just starting to read, tickled me pink by being about a family of skeletons. I quickly moved onto Point Horror (well before I hit my teens), and then started borrowing my Mam's Stephen King and Dean Koontz books by the time I was 12 or so. Richard Laymon was maybe by the time I was 15 or 16, because he tended to feature more sexual horror, but I read Dracula and Frankenstein before my teens too. Today, I don't tend to be keen on zombies or Mummies (which I think are basically gift-wrapped zombies), but on occasion I'll read and enjoy one. I love vampires, but they tend to be sexy rather than sinister these days, which is a shame. I love post-apocalyptic novels, especially as we live in a time when so many man-made horrors could spell the end of the world as we know it - nuclear war and man-made diseases are just as likely to wipe us out as a natural disaster. Psychological horror where people's minds are played with gives me more of a thrill than blood and guts. I like a really sinister story...

I was around 11 years old, when I read IT by Stephen King. I was around 8 years old when I read children's horror, such as some of the Goosebumps series by R. L. Stine. When I was a bit older I read some books of the Fear Street series.

Hmm.. I didn't read the kid's horror, such as Point Horror - I think I moved straight onto James Herbert, Stephen King, John Saul etc as a teen. There wasn't a lot of fiction aimed at teens, and I didn't really know what else to try, so i went straight to the horror section! 

I think I was 9 or 10, i read a series called goosebumps by R.L. Stine - they were later turned into a tv show. I nearly had every book and loved reading them over and over. They were aimed at children/YA.

They had some of the best covers and titles ever.

b9d6402e713d7ca93d422595ecfb481a_zps0fa2

Those are great covers! The Dutch books had great covers too. Not all of the Goosebumps were released in Dutch I believe, though I read the ones I could find in the library and a few that we bought ourselves (my sister and I). I watched the TV series too, it was a lot of fun.

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was when I was in my mid-teens, as I remember borrowing Richard Laymon and Dean Koontz books from the library when I still lived at home. Wish I could remember my first Stephen King book, but I can't. :doh:

Ok then, I'm the baby.  I started reading Clive Barker when I was about 22, he was my first :smile: I started with The Great and Secret Show and then progressed to Weaveworld and Imagica.  Still have Cabal (the book being made into the movie Nightbreed) and Sacrament on my list.

Edited by Anna Begins