Competition: No One Gets Out Alive by Adam Nevill [Closed]

Michelle

adam.jpg

Darkness lives within . . .

Cash-strapped, working for agencies and living in shared accommodation, Stephanie Booth feels she can fall no further. So when she takes a new room at the right price, she believes her luck has finally turned. But 82 Edgware Road is not what it appears to be.

It's not only the eerie atmosphere of the vast, neglected house, or the disturbing attitude of her new landlord, Knacker McGuire, that makes her uneasy - it's the whispers behind the fireplace, the scratching beneath floors, the footsteps in the dark, and the young women weeping in neighbouring rooms. And when Knacker's cousin Fergal arrives, the danger goes vertical.

But this is merely a beginning, a gateway to horrors beyond Stephanie's worst nightmares. And in a house where no one listens to the screams, will she ever get out alive?

I have read most of Adam's books, and having just reviewed this, it's really rather creepy, and is definitely my favourite so far! I've interviewed Adam for the forum, which I'll be sharing with you soon, but I'm also pleased to announce that Pan Macmillan are offering five copies for me to give away.

So, four of these will be available for those of you in the UK and in Europe, and will be posted by the publisher. 

The remaining copy will be sent out by me, and so is for anyone outside the UK / Europe. As far as I can see, this is not published in the US until next year (I'm not sure about other countries) so you can get a copy nice and early. (Because of this, and because I'm covering postage, this copy will be for existing members only.)

To enter.. simply reply, telling me your biggest fear!

Closing date Midnight Sat 25th October.

Good luck!

My biggest fear, and the worst thing that could happen to me, would be not seeing my children grow up.

Aside from that, waking up because a mouse runs over me in bed would also be horrible. So most nights, the family cat sleeps next to my bed. No, not IN it, he has so much hair that he wouldn't find it comfortable, but too warm. (No, no mouse has ever been even close to my bed, but still..) 

Edited by SaraPepparkaka

I so liked the sound of this, alas it is not released for another two weeks. I have added to my wishlist in the meantime. My most irrational fear is to not have a cover on when in bed (it can be just a sheet when hot but has to be something right up to my neck) or having my foot/arm dangling over the edge for fear of getting grabbed. Completely irrational I know! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is being buried alive - to the extent that I want to be cremated when I die, rather than buried - just in case! I'm actually rather claustrophobic, so the idea of being trapped in a small, coffin-like space can send me over the edge.

Mine would have to be not achieving something in my life--no matter how insignificant. Sadly, I know it sounds awfully pretentious but I'd stress that it's my fear and I would never suggest that, say, everyone should think like that.

Oh cooooll!! Thank you very much! :boogie:

Congrats to the other winners. :smile:

Mine is being buried alive - to the extent that I want to be cremated when I die, rather than buried - just in case! I'm actually rather claustrophobic, so the idea of being trapped in a small, coffin-like space can send me over the edge.

There's a movie about this, called Buried. I bought it a while back, but have never got the courage to watch it. :ontome:

Can I ask why you didn't enter then? :)

Yes you may, because I really would have if I had known!  The thing is, when I noticed this thread, I just assumed it was for UK members only. So it's really just my own fault! You know what they say about people who assume... They make an ass out of u and me!  :doh:  :D 

Yep, this particular publisher kindly said they could include Europe when posting out - it's a shame you missed it, it's a good book! :(

What a nice publisher! :smile2: But don't worry about me, I've checked the situation and they have actually ordered a copy of the book, and more amazingly, they've ordered it for the Sello library in particular which is the one I use on a weekly if not daily basis :D What a coincidence! There are a few other Adam Nevill books there, too, I've been eyeing them for a while because some of them are on my wishlist, thanks to Weave :) Thanks for the thought, though!  :friends3:

• 2 weeks later...