Favourite Stephen King?

Michelle

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've read a few of King's novels and compilations, but by no means all of them.

My favourites would have to be IT and The Stand. I also enjoyed Needful Things, Pet Cemetery, The Long Walk and The Dome (it has a surprising and Interesting reference to Lee Child's Jack Reacher character).

I just couldn't like Salem's Lot - I wanted to, it was a good premise, but in the end I didn't enjoy it. One of many books I expected to like by the glowing reviews, but did not - for one reason or another. (For example, in sci-fi, I didn't like Farenheit 451 or Slaughterhouse Five - which would put me in the minority, I would assume, of science fiction fans.)

Some people have suggested that King struggles with the novel format and should stick to short stories. I wouldn't go that far but, after reading a few of his collections of short stories, I'd say they might have a slight point. Some of his best writing is found there, or at least some of his best unadulterated prose, undiluted by less refined fare - like filler content, gratuitous descriptive asides, parochial genealogies or back-stories and other such unnecessary expository passages (or should that be pages!)

I think I've read the complete and uncut edition of The Stand, Stephen King wrote a foreword in my edition explaining the situation, and how it was first published not complete, but he revised and updated it. It's ~1327 pages (link to my edition, ISBN 9781444720730 by Hodder and Stoughton). I enjoyed the book, it was epic. The post-apocalyptic aspect wasn't the reason I read the book, I don't mind some post-apocalyptic-ness but it's not my favourite setting if I had to choose (I don't read a lot of post-apocalyptic books).

Glad you're enjoying Salem's Lot, Noll :).