Favourite Horror Authors

Michelle

My favorite is Stephen King, but not only for the horror stories, just for his overall books.

Horror isn't really a genre I've actively pursued, so I don't know of that many authors. I've tried Richard Laymon, but found his books to be repetitive and quite dull. Dean Koontz is another one that I have tried and not really enjoyed. I've also tried one Clive Barker, but couldn't get into it. Actually, I'm not sounding like much of a horror fan, am I? :doh::giggle2: But I wouldn't mind trying any  I mean I'm enjoying Horns by Joe Hill so far, but haven't read enough of it to classify it as horror yet.

Anne Rice is another one I like. Can't actually think of many others, and this list on Wikipedia proves that I don't know much about the genre as most names are unfamiliar (but I'm surprised to see Road Dahl and VC Andrews on the list).

and this list on Wikipedia proves that I don't know much about the genre as most names are unfamiliar.

I hope to read some Ira Levin, he wrote Rosemary's Baby (which sounds nothing like the movie), A Kiss Before Dying and The Stepford Wives.

I like splatterpunk, like Poppy Z Brite, some of Joe Hill's stuff has it's elements.  I think Clive Barker is often thrown into this category, although I see him more as fitting the psychological horror sub genre as I do King, I like that too.

If pressed, I am going to say Clive Barker is my favorite "horror" writer.  But geez, Joe Hill comes up close.

Edited by Anna Begins

Apart from the obvious ones (King, Koontz) I really like some of Robert McCammon's books, especially Stinger, They Thirst and The Wolf's Hour, and Dan Simmons (Carrion Comfort, The Terror).

I hope to read some Ira Levin, he wrote Rosemary's Baby (which sounds nothing like the movie), A Kiss Before Dying and The Stepford Wives.

I've read A Kiss Before Dying and The Stepford Wives, but I don't know if I would classify them as horror. Rosemary's Baby is horror (or so I'm assuming, because I haven't actually read the book or seen the movie, though I know the basic plot), and I'm pretty sure I have it on my TBR pile.

Apart from the obvious ones (King, Koontz) I really like some of Robert McCammon's books, especially Stinger, They Thirst and The Wolf's Hour, and Dan Simmons (Carrion Comfort, The Terror).

I've read Swan Song, and enjoyed it but I kept comparing it to The Stand (and it is so similar in terms of plot). I have Carrion Comfort on my TBR pile, and I've heard of The Terror. I may give the former a read this month.

Ira Levin is awesome - his books have a real chill factor. :)

Yeah, they do. They are quite short books as well, with not much empty filler.

I've read A Kiss Before Dying and The Stepford Wives, but I don't know if I would classify them as horror.

I know, right?  Some authors are just labeled as "horror", it's a problem I have with a lot of "horror" writers.  I don't really even think of Clive Barker as a "horror" writer.  I mean, sometimes he is, sometimes he isn't.  Same with Stephen King.  My dad couldn't believe he wrote The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption after he read Mr. Mercedes (his first King).

I think Clive Barker is known for horror and fantasy?

I also liked Swan Song, but kept comparing it to The Stand, it's hard not to.

Adam Nevill is definitely a horror writer, but maybe not to everyone's taste.. although I do think the one I've just reviewed, No One Gets Out Alive has something for everyone.

I've read Swan Song, and enjoyed it but I kept comparing it to The Stand (and it is so similar in terms of plot).

Yeah, definitely.  I think that's why so many people are drawn to Swan Song rather than to his other, better books :shrug: