Love in the Time of Cholera

Anna Begins

I don't know if this is in the UK's case or not, but FINALLY some Gabriel Garcia Marquez is being released in Kindle format!  October 15th (2014), Love in the Time of Cholera will be out!!  (Others will be out on the 15th, but no mention of One Hundred Years of Solitude, unfortunately). 

Has anyone read this book?  I've been dying to read something of his.  I also just leaned he won the Noble Prize in Literature.  Fans?

Edited by Anna Begins

I have read and enjoyed both Love In The Time Of Cholera and One Hundred Years Of Solitude. Of the two I would say that Love In The Time Of Cholera was my favourite. They are spellbinding with GGM's magic realism writing making you feel the heat, inhale the air and taste the food as you read.

On the Amazon UK site, most of his books have been put on kindle, including a couple of short story collections.

What about this one of One Hundred Years of Solitude?

I haven't read any of his work, though I've heard good things.

I would love it if that were the case, unfortunately, it says not available for sale.  But maybe now that some of his are being released, it will be too.

I have read and enjoyed both Love In The Time Of Cholera and One Hundred Years Of Solitude. Of the two I would say that Love In The Time Of Cholera was my favourite. They are spellbinding with GGM's magic realism writing making you feel the heat, inhale the air and taste the food as you read.

On the Amazon UK site, most of his books have been put on kindle, including a couple of short story collections.

Thanks!  I guess this will be the first I've read of his.  Is it heavy on the magic realism?

I'd say that One Hundred Years Of Solitude encompassed more heavy duty magic realism than Love In The Time Of Cholera, but both reek of it! :giggle2:

They are both the type of book where you will probably get the most enjoyment from relaxing, reading and letting it wash over you, with the making sense of it bit taking place as you go along.

They are both the type of book where you will probably get the most enjoyment from relaxing, reading and letting it wash over you, with the making sense of it bit taking place as you go along.

I can hang with that :smile: I like books and movies I have to just go along with to understand.  12 Monkey's and Fight Club come to mind.

I haven't read anything by him, but I do have One Hundred Years of Solitude on my (physical) bookshelf. However, I've been put off reading it having heard it described as 'magical realism', which I tried and disliked with Midnight's Children. I know I can't lump it all in the same category, but it has pushed it further down my TBR pile.

I haven't read anything by him, but I do have One Hundred Years of Solitude on my (physical) bookshelf. However, I've been put off reading it having heard it described as 'magical realism', which I tried and disliked with Midnight's Children. I know I can't lump it all in the same category, but it has pushed it further down my TBR pile.

Ya, that's sort of my problem with it too.  If it's just a little bit or a metaphor, I can handle it.  I guess that's what Kindle Samples are good for :smile:  How are you getting along with Horns?

Edited by Anna Begins

I would say that the Gabriel Garcia Marquez  books read differently to Midnight's Children Bobbly. They are magic realism, but it more washes over you as you read rather than the treacle-thick wade through that MC could be at times. :smile:

Edited by Chrissy

I would love it if that were the case, unfortunately, it says not available for sale.  But maybe now that some of his are being released, it will be too.

Thanks!  I guess this will be the first I've read of his.  Is it heavy on the magic realism?

Oh I'm sorry to hear that! It's a first that it's on sale for me in the Netherlands on Amazon and not for you. For me it says I can buy it for $10.38. Sorry for getting your hopes up :(.