Are you the main reader in your life?

Anna Begins

None of my friends read much.  I have one friend who doesn't read at all.  My dad reads like crazy, but he reads mostly detective books, which I can't share with him too much.  He doesn't really understand that I read so many genres.

My mom doesn't read much, but she is always interested in what book I am reading.  I even got an "oh my gosh" when I told her the title of Oryx and Crake :giggle2:  Do you read the most out of the people in your life or do you have others that read as much as you do?  Do you have someone who is interested in the books you read?

In my real as opposed to cyber life, I can honestly say that there is no one who reads anywhere near as much as I do. Coran has been reading a lot more in the past few years but a lot less than I do - last year I got through 90 books but her total was probably less than a third of that. As for friends, while most of them do read, the amount of books that they read in an average year would again be less than half what I manage.

My mum used to read a lot, but since she had macular holes in her eyes, surgery twice in both didn't really make it much better than it was. She finds reading on an iPad using the kindle app is a lot better because she can change the font size. She still finds it heavy over time though, so I intend to get her a kindle for Christmas. Like me she prefers paperback books but a kindle is easier to handle for us both.

My sister reads too but with her university studies she finds it hard to find time to read. My boyfriend also reads, but not as often as I think he should. He has been reading the same book for almost six months now. :giggle2:. My older brother doesn't read so I would say I am the biggest reader out of our family.

Both my parents and my grandmother read, but nowhere near as much as me.  I'm definitely the most into books in my family.  None of my sisters read much, if at all.  My daughter reads a little, but not much.  My son doesn't read at all and will do anything he can to avoid doing so.  When he was younger he used to read a lot, but lost the bug somewhere along the way.

I'm the big reader in my family. My family does like to read but they don't read as often as I do nor as varied as I do (if I may say that). My parents only read in the holidays or sometimes in the weekends. They mainly like contemporary fiction, thrillers, historical fiction, Dutch literature, biographies, information books or in the case of my mum also a chick-lit book from time to time. My sister reads quite a bit (she'd be the number two reader in the family), though not as much as I do. She mainly reads fantasy books. Sometimes we talk about books, that's always nice. My brother is usually too busy with other things he finds interesting so he doesn't read that much really. He likes some fantasy, thrillers and science-fiction (mainly YA for that last one). He's usually busy with university or friends or his girlfriend. His girlfriend reads more than he does, she reads mainly thrillers and certain YA books (ie. science-fiction and paranormal ones). So on occasion I talk with her about books. My sister's boyfriend doesn't read books at all I think (I don't talk with him that much to be honest). My boyfriend doesn't read a lot of books, though he does have quite a few. He usually prefers to watch something or to play a game instead. But he doesn't mind me borrowing the books and he's always happy to listen to me talk about the books I've read.

I've always been the bookwurm in my family. I can read faster than the rest and love reading more than they do (it's important to them but it's hugely important to me).

It's interesting to see most of us are the big readers in our families (though not all of us!). Great idea for a thread :)!

I'm the biggest reader in my family. My husband doesn't read at all (I've tried encouraging him, but it just doesn't interest him). My brother reads a bit, when he has the time, but my parents rarely read, though my mum may occasionally pick up a science book. I have a few friends that read, but we tend to have somewhat different tastes.

My mum's always been a reader, although for various reasons she finds it difficult these days. She listens to audiobooks a lot now. Sadly my husband has no interest in reading at all. :(

As for my girls, they both go through phases. Beth does find it hard to find time to read, what with school work, TV and ipod. Amy is reading every night for school, which is good. I'm trying very hard to keep them both encouraged, without pushing too hard! :)

My husband is a big reader, and many times we read the same book in conjunction, or one after the other.  My mother loved to read as well.  My father was mostly into technical books, but I was so young when he died, I don't know what else.  I know my grandparents on both sides were readers as well, and great grandparents....I have some of their books. :) 

So, I guess you could say I come from a long line of readers, and married into a family of readers. 

I didn't have children, but I'd bet they'd be readers as well!  heh :readingtwo:

My husband is a big reader, and many times we read the same book in conjunction, or one after the other.  My mother loved to read as well.  My father was mostly into technical books, but I was so young when he died, I don't know what else.  I know my grandparents on both sides were readers as well, and great grandparents....I have some of their books. :)

So, I guess you could say I come from a long line of readers, and married into a family of readers. 

I didn't have children, but I'd bet they'd be readers as well!  heh :readingtwo:

Wow Pontalba, you really come from a family of readers! That's so nice :).

No-one in my family is or was a big reader, but everyone always encouraged me.  My friends (outside of BCF, obvs :D) don't read much, and though my OH used to read loads when we first met, his reading has tailed of over the years, but is starting to pick up again now, thankfully.

As much as I love coming here, I do wish I had someone to talk face to face with about books more often!

As much as I love coming here, I do wish I had someone to talk face to face with about books more often!

I know- I am constantly trying to get the people around me to read :roll:  I even gave my friend my old Paperwhite touch. 

I have some people around me who read- my parents, though not as much as I do. The older one of my boys reads a lot, and he will probably read as much as I do in a few years. My former boss might read even more than I do. Many friends and acquaintances read, but none of them read as much as I do, but they seem to like talking about reading with me..

My daughter and I both read a lot, perhaps equally as much. Because of homework, she does read less at times. I read less too sometimes when I'm too busy watching figure skating competitions or I have lots of work to do for example. Since the past two years, I've been mostly rereading a lot of my books. I also did that years ago, after rereading for a long time, I began reading new books again. I see similar patterns in the reading behaviour of my daughter. 

I am the biggest reader, but there are still a fair few keen readers in the family, especially my wife. We do tend to read different genres - I read more fiction (especially classic), history, biography (historical) and science, whilst she's more into travel and sport (cycling!).

Offspring reads a fair bit, mostly thrillers or fantasy.

Brother reads a fair bit, favourite writer being Terry Pratchett.

I get my reading from my father, who was heavily into history.

Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the biggest reader in my family now. My brother reads a fair bit, but he has phases where he doesn't read (unlike me). My mum used to read all the time but not so much anymore. My boyfriend's read one book in the 5 years I've known him.

At work though, we all seem to be readers.

I'm the biggest reader in our house.  Peter does read but not often as he just doesn't find the time.  He's currently reading a book that Kay's husband leant him but it's taking him an age, although he is really enjoying it.  (No, it's not Carter Beats the Devil :giggle2: ).  It'll take him forever to finish though - it's a good job his memory is better than mine is!  :giggle:

My daughter has recently started reading more since I gave her my old Kindle, but she now has a boyfriend so that's slowed down again!  My son isn't a reader at all.  He was diagnosed with Dyslexia when he was 16 so that probably has something to do with it.

My Mum reads as much as I do, if not more.  My Dad was also a big reader when he was alive. 

My Mam ans Sister are both pretty big readers, and Xan and Josh both love books too, but Dale has read exactly 1 1/2 books in the almost 15 years we've been together.

I like to think I read a lot but I tend to go through phases of reading one book straight after the other and then needing a long break, having said that, between my partner and I, I am most definitely the main reader.

My sister and mum however are always reading something.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying very hard to keep them both encouraged, without pushing too hard! :)

I imagine that's a very fine line to walk!

I'm definitely the biggest reader in my life (outside of BCF). My brother and I grew up reading, and he still reads a bit, but mostly just Stephen King and other horror books. I don't think he has much time for reading these days. Even though my parents always gave us lots of books and encouraged us to read, they never read themselves until recently. Dad had just started reading a little in the past year or two before he passed, and Mum started reading several years ago (mostly crime novels). She took it up with gusto then, especially when I introduced her to the book fair, although she hasn't been reading too much lately.

My partner loves reading and has a good-sized collection, but still nowhere near as many as me. :) And my oldest friend (as in, the friend I've had the longest) is quite a big reader, but mainly of fantasy novels.