What's the weather like?

Virginia

21 hours ago, poppy said:

Thanks everyone for your best wishes and concern :hug:We're fine, although the river that runs through our property has lost a huge hunk of bank and fencing. Trees and huge rocks have completely disappeared. This area got hit very hard.  No deaths as far as I'm aware, so that's a huge blessing.

One place not far from here will be impassable for ages and it's the only road in or out.

This is drone footage from there ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11998830

That looks so bad ! :o Any idea how long the clean-up and rebuild will take ? :)

On 20/02/2018 at 10:35 PM, poppy said:

Thanks everyone for your best wishes and concern :hug:We're fine, although the river that runs through our property has lost a huge hunk of bank and fencing. Trees and huge rocks have completely disappeared. This area got hit very hard.  No deaths as far as I'm aware, so that's a huge blessing.

One place not far from here will be impassable for ages and it's the only road in or out.

This is drone footage from there ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11998830

The power of the weather to  cause  immense problems for people and animals. 😢 

Edited by itsmeagain

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, Little Pixie said:

That looks so bad ! :o Any idea how long the clean-up and rebuild will take ? :)

They're saying it's too early to predict when this road will be cleared. There are 6000 residents and tourists over there and the only way out is by boat or small plane.  They're working flat out all over this area clearing blocked roads.

Our water supply is cut, but fortunately we have a large tank so going very easy on water at the moment.

20 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

Beautiful place you live in Poppy. 

It's really sad to see all the damage to farmland and orchards. Some places are covered in a thick layer of mud and rubbish. But people are amazingly resilient and have started on the big clean-up.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:21 AM, frankie said:

I'm glad you weren't hit big with it! :friends3:

Even the word alone, 'cyclone', scares the bejeesus out of me. There are no natural disasters like that or any others in Finland so we kind of live in 'God's purse', as we Finns would put it. Safe and sound. 

However, Siberia is telling us what's what, and we've got the lowest temperatures of the year here in Helsinki! I'm glad I'm sick and I don't have to go out! :D

And you live in one of the top 10 happiest places in the world! We'll all move in, Frankie :lol: Stay warm and get better soon :hug:

8 hours ago, poppy said:

They're saying it's too early to predict when this road will be cleared. There are 6000 residents and tourists over there and the only way out is by boat or small plane.  They're working flat out all over this area clearing blocked roads.

Our water supply is cut, but fortunately we have a large tank so going very easy on water at the moment.

It's really sad to see all the damage to farmland and orchards. Some places are covered in a thick layer of mud and rubbish. But people are amazingly resilient and have started on the big clean-up.

Good luck, that sounds like a huge job :(. I hope you'll be allright for water, food, electricity and all those things :hug:.

That stuff from Siberia is headed our way too, they're not sure if it will snow, and if it does snow, when where and how much of it there will be, but it's meant to get much colder.  Cold enough already, had quite a frost this morning, and the cold wind is the worst.  Thank you Siberia!

11 hours ago, poppy said:

It's going to be a lot of work! :(  I'm glad you have a tank and so you have your water supplies. I hope you get your main water back soon!! :hug:

There's nothing else to it but to do it! :unsure:   If anything, it brings people closer? 

And you live in one of the top 10 happiest places in the world! We'll all move in, Frankie :lol: Stay warm and get better soon :hug:

You are all welcome, we have room :D If you can stand the cold :D:unsure:   Maybe we could live here in the summer and come live in NZ in the (Finnish) winter? That might be optimal, temperature-wise!!

1 hour ago, Madeleine said:

That stuff from Siberia is headed our way too, they're not sure if it will snow, and if it does snow, when where and how much of it there will be, but it's meant to get much colder.  Cold enough already, had quite a frost this morning, and the cold wind is the worst.  Thank you Siberia!

Siberia is all about tough love :D  I hope it doesn't get too cold over there! :friends3:

15 hours ago, poppy said:

:o Hugs to you and your family. :hug: At least when we get flooded, we can still manage to get to a supermarket/doctors` surgrey/hospital , if we really needed to, by taking lots of alternate roads. Plus, the electrics stay on, so we can use the flood pumps. Yours sounds so much worse. :( 

Edited by Little Pixie

On 2/23/2018 at 1:56 AM, poppy said:

Hope the clean-up is going well, and you'll be able to get your water supply back soon, poppy.  Glad to hear you're safe.

Over here, it's a clear but cold day, but we're gearing up for a cold week ahead.

Thanks again everyone for your good wishes. We were very fortunate that the power didn't go off. Was really expecting it as we had very high winds and all it takes is for a tree to fall on the lines and it's all over. We have four roads out of the valley. One is a shortcut that goes over a ford and is never passable after heavy rain. Another is a forestry road over a very windy, loose metal road which I'd never attempt in bad weather (it was closed for several days) and the other two have to cross several bridges which suffered flood damage.

The clean up for those affected is going to take a long time, it's the second big storm and flood we've had this month.

But we got off very lightly here, so I'm feeling very grateful. The road in the video I shared, opened today for single lane traffic in a big convoy. Trucks went through first to take in supplies.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:50 AM, frankie said:

You are all welcome, we have room :D If you can stand the cold :D:unsure:   Maybe we could live here in the summer and come live in NZ in the (Finnish) winter? That might be optimal, temperature-wise!!

Sounds like a plan! :lol:

10 hours ago, poppy said:

Thanks again everyone for your good wishes. We were very fortunate that the power didn't go off. Was really expecting it as we had very high winds and all it takes is for a tree to fall on the lines and it's all over. We have four roads out of the valley. One is a shortcut that goes over a ford and is never passable after heavy rain. Another is a forestry road over a very windy, loose metal road which I'd never attempt in bad weather (it was closed for several days) and the other two have to cross several bridges which suffered flood damage.

The clean up for those affected is going to take a long time, it's the second big storm and flood we've had this month.

But we got off very lightly here, so I'm feeling very grateful. The road in the video I shared, opened today for single lane traffic in a big convoy. Trucks went through first to take in supplies.

That`s great news. :D I hope the weather improves for you, and you don`t get hit again. :)

Thank you poppy :hug:!

It's quite cold here but we haven't had any snow where I live yet (code yellow today). I'm wearing two vests. The temperature today will be maximum -2 °C (or 28.4 °F) (and minimum -10 °C or 14 °F). Because it doesn't get above freezing, we have to replace the water of our chicken every few hours, so that they can drink. The 'feeling temperature' is said to be around -15 °C or 5 °F. We've got the central heating on as well as the heater in the bakery, otherwise it is just too cold. It's doable in our living room right now, upstairs it is probably around 7 °C (or 44.6 °F), that's the lowest the thermometer can show. So we're just staying downstairs for most of the time. The bedroom (which is on the ground floor) is a bit cold too, but gladly staying under the covers it is okay during the night (except when I've just gone to bed, then it's cold).

I hope the others from Europe and in the UK are all right :hug:.

We had a power cut on Monday evening on and off for about four hours - fortunately we both had fully charged paper white kindle and a tablet, so we sat and read while the power was out!  

Weatherwise, we had about an inch of snow in a strong storm that lasted for about 15 minutes yesterday afternoon, and a couple of flurries today.  Changed my plans for this evening to come straight home, and glad I did as it's just started snowing again quite heavily.

5 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

We had a power cut on Monday evening on and off for about four hours - fortunately we both had fully charged paper white kindle and a tablet, so we sat and read while the power was out!  

^ Priorities.

No snow here yet, but it is forecast for tomorrow and Friday.  Panic buying in Waitrose this evening; all the Covent Garden soup was sold out.

Snowing on and off since Tuesday, I've been working from home for the last two days, a couple of heavy blizzards and lots of fine snow, about 3 inches on the ground but main roads open.  The worst thing is the wind!