• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Virginia

What's the weather like?

Yesterday was lovely after a rainy start.  I did a walk with my walking group in the River Chelmer area, near Chelmsford in Essex, and it brightened up and was lovely for most of it, with a nice breeze, except towards the end when it got very warm and  when I went to bed the thunder was rumbling around, and at 1.00 I got woken up by a thunderclap and torrential rain.

Today was very warm and thunder was rumbling around earlier, bit it seems to have cleared up for now.

It's been a pretty wet week. Woke up to torrential rains and a flash flood warning for the surrounding area. No flooding thank goodness. The rain is much needed. Our lake has been needing the water level to rise enough so that the dam can be opened. The ducks and geese are more than happy! We've got a few more days of it and then the sun will shine. 

No storm last night and today was also very hot, weather broke a bit around 1830 when it started raining and we had a storm, bit cooler now and quiet, hope it doesn't storm again tonight!

Now torrential rain and thunderstorms since about mid-day, and it's windy too.  I went out at lunchtime and got soaked (had to take something back to M & S):hide: still thundering now.

Lots of rain storms over the last few days, but it's been a bit cooler too, so around the 17/18ºC mark most of the day.  I love it when it rains and it's warm enough not to have to wear a coat and just carry an umbrella. :smile2: 

Very muggy yesterday, thought it was going to storm again but it didn't in the end.  Not sure what today will be like!

I've just driven through a torrential downpour with lots of standing water even on the motorway.  It doesn't seem to have reached home yet, but it sounds like it might just be arriving now.  Batten down the hatches!

We missed the storms thankfully and it didn't rain, was very muggy though and looked quite foggy at around 2200.  Dull and muggy again this morning.

It's been unseasonably hot over here in Finland over the past three or so weeks, it's been record-breaking! I wish it rained, because pollen is a b*tch. It's not rained in I don't know how long! And it was reported that hedgehogs and little birdies are suffering because it's too hot :(

After a muggy start it turned out quite warm, more of the same tomorrow,  I agree about the pollen though!

Pollen is so very annoying! It's crazy this year: people who have had no symptoms before, have had them this year. And as an allergic person, I've taken my meds as a good girl and the previous years they've worked like a charm, but this year being as bad as it is, even I have been suffering! 

We've had some bad pollen here too. My hayfever is usually not that bad, but I felt horrible for a few days!

And June is usually the worst month, good luck everyone!:(:o

Thanks Frankie and Madeleine :)!

Yesterday my sister came by for dinner, so we had a family dinner with my parents, my sister, Michael and I. It was nice to spend some time with my family :).

Dull and muggy today, the sort of weather which makes the flying ants swarm:hide:

It appears to be full on summer time. I'm wanting to get out and do some planting but its so HOT! I've got to get it done though because we have a family get together next weekend. After two weeks of rain we are no in the dry spell. Oh well, it tis what it is!

It's been hot and humid, and we've been having heavy rainshowers.

Just muggy here again, bit brighter today, and also a chilly wind.

Just back from lunch, and it's quite sunny although still a bit windy and chilly in the shade.

We had a mixed bag over the weekend, Saturday was cloudy and alternated between warm and sunny and then cloudy, had a bit of rain in the evening.  Yesterday was much nicer, quite hot and sunny and turned into a nice evening.  This morning it was chilly first thing, quite warm now but the breeze is keeping the heat off.  Definitely not as hot as they forecast.

Much colder today, so much for the heatwave!