What's the weather like?

Virginia

I didn't sleep very well last night, after quite a good night's sleep on Monday (I was out last night and didn't get the chance to cool the flat down properly before I went to bed).

30.2°C in the office today, but it looks like the air temperature outside is starting to drop (now only 27.5°C, in the shade!)

On 19/07/2021 at 9:39 AM, Madeleine said:

Hopefully it will bring the tomatoes along, I have 5 green ones at the moment, normally they'd be covered in tomatoes at various stages of development.

That would be a nice positive from it! Mine are just green at the moment too, but I was just assuming they weren't meant to be red yet!

6 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Exactly correct

:lol:

6 hours ago, timebug said:

Strangely cooler than the past few days here, but incredibly humid. You could grab the air and wring it out!

I think the humidity is actually worse. I was lulled into a false sense of security by how cool it was this morning!

1 hour ago, Raven said:

didn't get the chance to cool the flat down properly

You don't happen to have an excellent trick for this to share do you? My bedroom is boiling!

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

My bedroom is boiling!

Fnar!

I just leave all the windows in the flat open once the sun moves off them, usually does the trick but after several days of very hot weather the thick brick walls of the flat tend to hold on to a lot of heat...

My tomato plants have been growing almost visibly since the weather warmed up, but only started setting in the last week or so, due to the late cold spell that meant I didn't plant them out until the last w/e of May.

Even then they were much less developed than they had been when planted out, two or three weeks earlier, in years 2020 & 19.

Just hoping for an extended summer (but a few degrees cooler than this) to keep them fruiting. I would ask for a bit of rain to swell the fruit and save me carting a watering can about, but I have a feeling that we might get a bit more wet than I require over this coming weekend.

My tomatoes are still stubbornly green, still very warm here, no breeze yesterday though we did have a couple of heavy showers on Tuesday evening and overnight.  yes I think it will get very wet this weekend! I find watering a bit of a pain as well, but also quite therapeutic!

Stilll scorching hot here with no break in sight. Managed to get the central heating serviced yesterday - "did I have any trouble with it lately?" I kid you not - and the gas fire was also sealed at the back and serviced today. 

Managed a laundry yesterday - we only have a tumble dryer so not recomended in this heat (and not very environmentally friendly)  but unavoidable unfortunately - and one today.  Might get one done tomorrow as well, life has to go on.

It thundered here last night and spotted rain across the ground; only random drops though, not enough to wet anything. We all hoped the heat would break and give us relief; instead it increased as the potential 'storm' moved away!

2 hours ago, Raven said:

Much cooler here today, down to a much more tolerable 23°C at present!  Slept a bit better last night.

Same here, it's such a relief to finally not be sweating like a beast for a change.

Cooler today, only 23C after 30C yesterday! Thunderstorms are possibly in the south this evening. Unlikely to be reaching around Shropshire, though we need some more rain 🌧 

Enjoyable warm and sunny spells today.

Those the south east is being pummelled with thunder & rain - I noticed in the BBC news app that London is having flash flooding and The Environment Agency issued two warnings on Sunday, for areas near Beverley Brook in Worcester Park and West Barnes.

Yo Bev, what are you doing this time? 😁 (for fans of Rivers of London) Though everyone else will blame Peter Grant for the flash floods! 😉

Yes it was an interesting afternoon….. started raining around 2.30, few rumbles on thunder, quite heavy rain but not unusual.  Then of course as we decided to go shopping at around 3.00, it threw it down – I had to run into the garden to put my seedlings in the shed as they were getting battered and would have been drowned with what came later, I got soaked just doing that despite putting on my packamac, anyway off we went , drove through some minor flood water then turned into another road which was practically bone dry!  However different story on the way home ,this road was flooded, we drove through, the next one was also flooded although that always floods when it rains heavily, then we were OK for a bit til we hit a major jam, because the roundabout at the end of our high street was like a lake, eventually got through it and came home to find our back lawn replaced by a pond – it was nearly ankle deep. Luckily the  grass bit is slightly lower  than the rest of the garden otherwise the whole lot would have been under water.  And then this morning it was all gone, apart from a bit of a puddle in one of the flower beds.  A lot of manhole covers had water pouring out from underneath them, and I could hear it running underneath the drain cover in our garden, luckily it didn’t come up higher though.

All gone this morning, though it was looking threatening again earlier, and the flying ants were coming out.

Yikes Madeleine, that was a storm! :o We haven’t any of the thunderstorms & heavy rain yet, though there is a forecast of thunderstorm Tuesday morning to afternoon. 

• 1 month later...

So the mini heatwave - all 4 days of it - is over.  It was nice while it lasted!  Managed to do a lovely canal walk on Sunday, and visited a local beauty spot which I'd heard of but never been to.  Also saw a cormorant and a pair of coots with a pair of cute babies.  Even had an ice cream on the way back!  Rained quite heavily last night so back to normal now.

DobbsWeirPool.bmp

At last, beautiful rain ☔. The humid heat and lack of breeze was unpleasant for me, but we hadn't had any rain for 3 weeks, so the steady rain now is welcome. And no thunderstorms yet.