What's the weather like?

Virginia

Last week I walked into work wearing shorts and a t-shirt, today it was back to jeans and my winter coat.

On the way home this evening I found myself walking towards a wall of grey cloud, with wisps of white being blown across it.  I don't think I've ever seen snow falling ahead of me quite like that before, I've usually been in the middle of it, which is - of course - what happened in this case, about five minutes later. 

The thought of walking in the snow usually conjures a kind of Christmas card nostalgia, but the reality is far less pleasant - especially when you are walking into a strong northerly wind that makes the use of an umbrella impossible.  At least I was wearing my winter coat...

I'm not the only one finding the weather confusing though; when I got in there was a pigeon was sitting on the the fence in my back garden, looking very bewildered by the sudden change in conditions*.

Okay, so pigeons always look very bewildered, but that's not the point...

I was saying the same thing yesterday at work, this time last week I was in a T-shirt, now winter clothes although yesterday was a little bit warmer and I didn't need my anorak, just a fleece, admittedly with 2 layers of winter jumpers.  We had snow flurries on Monday but not since, but that wind is bitter!

• 3 weeks later...

It was lovely and sunny at  the weekend, but still that cold wind.  Predictably, rain is forecast for later in the week, as the Bank Holiday draws near.

Did manage to go out for tea yesterday though, sat outside at the café in one of the local parks.

Edited by Madeleine

Same here, most of the Bank Hol weekend actually wasn't bad, tried to rain on Sat and Sunday but then gave up, and was sunny later in the day. Yesterday was the same but it started to get very windy around 5/6 in the evening and by the time I went to bed it was very windy and raining heavily.  Dry now but still very blowy!

Very mixed weather types today. Breezy, some heavy showers, and one loud rumble of thunder (strangely as it was still dry & bright). It doesn’t feel as May spring weather at all!

No it's more like April showers isn't it?  Yesterday started out sunny but with a cold wind, then it rained most of the afternoon, with a few sunny bits in between, and got really cold in the evening.  Sunny and cold again so far today.

• 2 weeks later...

Weekend was pretty much a washout as it rained most of the time, especially yesterday.  Did manage to do a bit of gardening in the dry bits though, planted some cornflower seeds and some sunflower seeds, and potted up a couple of things.

yesterday was abysmal, rained nearly all day, had 3 major downpours and one storm, hasn't rained overnight but meant to be pretty much the same for most of the week. It's sunny now but not expected to last.

After raining most of the night yesterday was quite dry, a couple of short showers but not too bad.  Who knows what today will be like, it's quite cold and dull at the moment.

Same here, the weekend wasn't quite as bad as forecast, though we did have a few downpours, and it rained heavily last night, so far it keeps coming over very threatening and then blowing over.

Blue sky and sunshine first thing, then at about 9, and out of that clear blue sky, there came a hailstorm. Heavy, but thankfully short.

Luckily I hadn't taken the trays of young plants out of the grow-house. There's been no more hail. but several short sharp showers, so I think I will leave the plants under cover.

Currently looking out of my living room window I can see a swathe of blue sky, but also a lot of grey cloud... Lots of heavy showers around, but I don't care as I have the week off and today has been ear marked for not going outside!

We had a few showers yesterday but nothing like last Monday which was downpours and storms, like Meg I've been leaving my small plants in the shed for a few days to protect them, however  I've tentatively taken them out today, as no rain is forecast, although it's very dull and chilly at the moment.  We had some sunny bits yesterday too so hopefully will brighten up later.

• 2 weeks later...

Glorious sunny day, but the afternoon could be cloudy. Forecast for a week of sunny intervals, and less rain. My favourite weather for summer, in the low to mid 20°C degrees.

Well yesterday it started raining not long after I typed the above post, and basically didn't stop all day.  Thankfully today was much nicer, especially as it's my birthday and I met a friend for tea in the park cafe, and will be meeting another friend (who couldn't come  today) tomorrow at the same place!  There was a brief mention of some showers so fingers crossed it holds.

So summer has finally hit!  And of course my internet decides to finally give up altogether, so I find myself coming into the office in Central London on the hottest days of the year so far..... new router on the way hopefully.