What's the weather like?

Virginia

Lots of rain here too today. Apparently a storm is going to be hitting us later? Orange warnings for most of the western counties in the country, yellow warnings for the rest of them. Strong winds and rain. Very autumnal weather for us - it's been a bizzare summer though. Yesterday was roasting and beautiful again, and today it's like it was two days ago - endless rain! Really don't know from one day to the next what we'll get.

yes, the remnants of a tropical storm apparently.  Glad I went away last week and not this one!  this time last week I was in the sea..... It's really been an erratic summer hasn't it, mini heatwave one week then cold and raining the next.  I'm glad all that humidity has gone though (plays havoc with my hair as well:rolleyes:

Storm Ellen sounds a real b***h! :o.

2 hours ago, Nollaig said:

We've been upgraded to a red wind warning in my county for tonight! :o The humidity is mean to my hair too :D

Oh crap, a red warning! Hope that you keep safe.

Our weather here in South Carolina (USA) has been VERY mild this August. I mean, it's normally a "real feel" of about 100'f here, but it's been low 80's. Low 80's is generally the start of the fall season as it doesn't get "cold" until sometime in October. 

I really shouldn't be surprised. It IS 2020. 

4 hours ago, Madeleine said:

It was very windy over the weekend, had a couple of showers but nothing much, meant to be more deluges tonight and tomorrow though so batten down the hatches:hide:

It’s b****y typical that I’m going to the hairdressers (for the first time in nearly six months) tomorrow! :roll:

Then by Saturday and Sunday the overnight temperatures are forecasting for 6 or 7 °C!!

Edited by Marie H

2 hours ago, Marie H said:

It’s b****y typical that I’m going to the hairdressers (for the first time in nearly six months) tomorrow! :roll:

Then by Saturday and Sunday the overnight temperatures are forecasting for 6 or 7 °C!!

That often happens to me too, I came out of the hair salon once and walked into a blizzard!

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 3:02 PM, Virginia said:

Our weather here in South Carolina (USA) has been VERY mild this August. I mean, it's normally a "real feel" of about 100'f here, but it's been low 80's. Low 80's is generally the start of the fall season as it doesn't get "cold" until sometime in October. 

I really shouldn't be surprised. It IS 2020. 

that is quite low for there, we've had several days well in the 80s and a couple of times in the early 90s (depending where you live, the south is always hotter), been very humid too, especially at night.

The wind suddenly picked up around 1pm, in the West Midlands, though it isn’t severe yet, it’s 30mph at the mo. We’re had forecast for an amber warning for 2pm - 10pm though. :hide:

On 24/08/2020 at 2:35 PM, Virginia said:

We've got 2, count them, TWO hurricanes making touchdown within hours of each other in the same location. What the 2020?!

Two hurricanes! :o

Makes us look pathetic with our Storm Francis :blush:.

Wasn't too bad in the end, didn't get that much rain but very windy at bedtime, however apart from tomato plants blowing over and next door's washing line partially collapsing all seems OK.  Hope everyone else is OK.

The storm wasn't too bad; some hydrangea/camelias plastic containers fell over, but nothing worse. Quite lucky, as the flooding and high winds seemed much worse in some areas.

And today was really nice, sunny spells and light breeze! Though the next few weeks are less pleasant. It's so changeable these days.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Very windy, lots of rain yesterday! Mild though.

Same in Shropshire, and the temperature went ridiculously mild, the highest of the day being 15°C at 10pm!