What's the weather like?

Virginia

thankfully I was in Devon last week where after a few unsettled days (and rain nearly the whole way down and when we got there) it was really nice, mid 20s with a breeze so very pleasant, apart from getting woken up by thunder early on Thursday morning, and Thursday night which was very hot,  then home on Friday to rain most of the night and nearly all of Saturday.  Much more manageable today but some underground train lines have never heard of air conditioning and are always hot, even on a cold wintry day:angry:  So glad I missed the mini heatwave, last year was unbearable!

3 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Funny ol' day today. There are dark clouds out there, but the sun is currently shining bright.  The atmosphere feels heavy though, a little airless too. 

Been like that here for days, very windy too and feels like it should storm, but nothing happens, although it did drizzle quite heavily for a while yesterday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

It poured yesterday morning, then was windy and sunny for most of the afternoon, then we had another downpour around 8.00.  Meant to get a bit warmer but there was a definite chill when I left this morning.

It's a Bank Holiday weekend, and meant to be hot, which is lovely after a generally rubbish summer - a few hot days does not  a summer make!  Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend if you have one.:yahoo:

On 8/19/2019 at 1:54 AM, Madeleine said:

It poured yesterday morning, then was windy and sunny for most of the afternoon, then we had another downpour around 8.00.  Meant to get a bit warmer but there was a definite chill when I left this morning.

I miss rain so much! I love the perennially perfect weather here, but every once in a while, I want a good, drenching downpour. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree with the fireworks comment. We’ve had fireworks going off pretty much every night for the last 2 weeks. I have no problem with fireworks on Diwali or Bonfire night, or even a day or so either side but it’s getting very tiresome now.

13 hours ago, Madeleine said:

It's pouring with rain - been raining nearly all day - Bonfire Night was 4 days ago - and there are still fireworks going off!  What is it with people?

I don't want to jinx it, but the sun is actually out again here. It's really cold, but I quite like cold and sunny. I hear some parts of the UK got snow yesterday, did anyone here see snow?

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

I agree with the fireworks comment. We’ve had fireworks going off pretty much every night for the last 2 weeks. I have no problem with fireworks on Diwali or Bonfire night, or even a day or so either side but it’s getting very tiresome now.

My dog is terrified of fireworks so it's a nightmare having them go off every night. This might be an interesting topic for the debate section actually… 

Our dog was petrified too, when she got older she got quite deaf so it wasn't so much of an issue, but she'd be sitting there shaking and trying to get away from the racket.

I also have no problem with the specific night for various festivals, but as Brian says they seem to be pretty constant for several days (weeks even) either side of the actual dates.

Heavy rain here.  It's been like this for the past couple of weeks.  And I have a leaky roof.  Frantically trying to find an available roofer (they're all snowed under with work).  In the meantime, a bucket has been strategically placed in the loft, catching the drips.  Bugger this weather!  :( 

It was dry for most of yesterday but rained most of the night, has been dry for most of the day so not sure what will happen tonight, it is meant to rain again though. 

Hope you get your roof sorted out.

We've been having fireworks set off almost every day for the past month or so. It will get increasingly bad towards New Year's Eve. It really scares my dog (and me!), particularly when she's in the garden. On my dog walk with her, we regularly find the remains of the fireworks. There have been fireworks in the afternoon, often the evening, one time even at 9:00 in the morning. I think a large portion of them are set off by teenagers who go to the nearby school here. I've seen them do it, usually pretty nearby my house. In the Netherlands, setting off fireworks is only legal on New Year's Eve, from 18:00 to 2:00. The rest of the year, it is forbidden. Sales of fireworks are only allowed on the 29th, 30th and 31rst of December. If one of those days is a Sunday, firework sales start on the 28th of December. It really makes me so upset, that there are so many fireworks going off, scaring my dog (as well as other pets around here). I'm sure it scares my chicken too, though they don't show it as much.

@Onion Budgie Good luck with the roof!!

It has been rainy and overcast here. The bakery (where I live) leaks when there is heavy rain. There hasn't been much sunshine and it's got quite cold.