What's the weather like?

Virginia

We've had just about everything today - nice and sunny at first, so I dead-headed my hydrangeas, then it got very windy and clouded over. Went out to do some shopping in the afternoon and got back to the car just as a hailstorm hit, it was like driving through a blizzard, and it alternated between hail and sleet. Think it's just drizzling now but still pretty cold.

We've just been hit by ex-cyclone Gita and there is a state of emergency in our region at present. Lots of flooding, washed out roads, slips, flooded houses, evacuations and rescues. We're fine where we are although we can't get out of our valley. There could be more to come tonight. Power's still on although I have two full thermoses at the ready, in case, so we'll be all good :D

59 minutes ago, poppy said:

We've just been hit by ex-cyclone Gita and there is a state of emergency in our region at present. Lots of flooding, washed out roads, slips, flooded houses, evacuations and rescues. We're fine where we are although we can't get out of our valley. There could be more to come tonight. Power's still on although I have two full thermoses at the ready, in case, so we'll be all good :D

That sounds scary, I hope you and yours will be okay, Poppy. Good luck!

12 hours ago, Athena said:

That sounds scary, I hope you and yours will be okay, Poppy. Good luck!

6 hours ago, frankie said:

Holy crap, poppy!! Stay safe :hug:  I hope there's no more of that tonight and that things can get back to normal in your lovely country! 

4 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Yikes ! Hope you`ll be okay Poppy. :empathy:

27 minutes ago, itsmeagain said:

Hold on tight Poppy. 

Best wishes darl. ♥ ☺ 

Thanks everyone for your best wishes and concern :hug:We're fine, although the river that runs through our property has lost a huge hunk of bank and fencing. Trees and huge rocks have completely disappeared. This area got hit very hard.  No deaths as far as I'm aware, so that's a huge blessing.

One place not far from here will be impassable for ages and it's the only road in or out.

This is drone footage from there ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11998830

14 hours ago, poppy said:

Where are you Poppy?  We got a lot rain and very strong winds, some power out in places, but not too bad.  I've seen it's really bad further south.  Nearly washed away State Highway 1 north of Wellington.

46 minutes ago, bookmonkey said:

Where are you Poppy?  We got a lot rain and very strong winds, some power out in places, but not too bad.  I've seen it's really bad further south.  Nearly washed away State Highway 1 north of Wellington.

I'm in the Tasman region, bookmonkey. It seemed to hit a really big area, I think the cyclone split in two.

Glad you're all OK :)

Edited by poppy

12 hours ago, bookmonkey said:

I'm glad you weren't hit big with it! :friends3:

11 hours ago, poppy said:

I'm in the Tasman region, bookmonkey. It seemed to hit a really big area, I think the cyclone split in two.

Even the word alone, 'cyclone', scares the bejeesus out of me. There are no natural disasters like that or any others in Finland so we kind of live in 'God's purse', as we Finns would put it. Safe and sound. 

However, Siberia is telling us what's what, and we've got the lowest temperatures of the year here in Helsinki! I'm glad I'm sick and I don't have to go out! :D