What's the weather like?

Virginia

I guess air conditioning doesn't even enter the minds of northern Europeans at least as it gets hot so rarely. In the south it's probably more of an issue,  but they get the same humidity as you do in the states, so maybe that's why. I remember the last really hot summer we had - 2003 I think when the temperatures hit over 100 degrees - I was very glad for the air conditioning in my car that year!

We actually had a smattering of snow here overnight which I wasn't expecting. Our village which is one of the highest points in the country has its own microclimate though and often gets it where the areas lower down don't. 

On 1/16/2018 at 8:57 PM, poppy said:

Can't remember, are you Nth or Sth Is? If it gets too hot I just wilt, hate it. The last couple of days have got into the higher 20's, but not too bad. Had quite a bit of rain lately though,  makes things steamy.

North, Poppy.  Palmerston North.  It's not just that it's hotter than usual, it's been this way for over three months now.  

On 1/17/2018 at 11:44 AM, Virginia said:

I could never understand the lack of air conditioning in European nations. I can't deal with the heat and I live in the south. During the summer months I literally go into hibernation. If I can't get it done early in the morning then it won't get done. Its funny because I have air conditioning but can't tolerate "canned air" much either so I wait til it gets just hot enough before turning it on for the summer. I don't like riding in my truck with it on. I'd rather drive with the windows down. Drives dh crazy. But I have arthritis in my bones and it just makes life uncomfortable to be too cold.

Speaking of cold, today was a fairly decent day but tomorrow promises to be messy and cold. We've already brought in wood in case I decide to light the fire place. The menfolk have already put in the cold weather comfort meal for tomorrow and I've gotten it out to thaw. Got the warm fuzzy plaid jammies and slippers on the ready. I may go check on my client tomorrow depending on how the weather is. If its not too bad I'll go by. Once I get home that will be it. I drive well in all weather but I have a phobia of other folks driving. Having been in law enforcement I have seen things and what I know about where I live is that when the weather turns ugly, people lose their dang minds and forget what wipers and breaks are for. So I stay put!

(Don't know how to multi quote sorry).

We don't usually need air conditioning Virginia.  This sort of heat is not normal for us.  It's never, in my memory, been this hot for more than a few days before.  Or this early in the summer.  Our usual is maybe 3-4 days over 25, not three months in high 20s, and this week, all week above 30.  I can't handle the heat either, I get heatstroke easily.  It's raining today, but still over 30C so very muggy too.  

Temp will rise over 50 degrees today. I dug out my sunglasses and will be cruising down the Parkway blasting the tunes and trying to avoid a speeding ticket. Why? Hell, I'm old but I'm not dead.

We had quite heavy snow for a couple of hours in the late morning, it did settle a bit but was very wet so soon washed away once it changed back to rain.  Now it's bright and sunny but still quite damp after raining nearly all weekend, our garden is like a muddy bog!

A lot warmer today - hovering around 10 degrees or so and dull and grey. Yesterdays snow disappeared as fast as it came - thank goodness. For those of us who have to start work early and drive on ungritted country roads it is less than ideal.