What's the weather like?

Virginia

just one brief shower, but was actually quite nice - did a nice forest walk with my walking group which was vey nice although muddy, and stopped off at the deer sanctuary and saw loads of stags, who looked at us for a while then carried on grazing.

That is a bit extreme that far south! They reckon we are in a for another freeze here next week as well, although it won't be nearly as bad as what you have. The forecast for the southeast where I live is about 3 degrees or so, which isn't actually that cold. Reykjavik last week (this time last week I was sitting on the bus going back to the airport) was minus 4. Now that was cold - especially with the wind chill. I know its a lot worse in some places though - Calgary in Canada reached minus 30 last week!  

5 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Oh wow......!:o  I did see something on the news about a deep freeze in one of the Dakotas and remember thinking that sounded a bit unusual.

South Dakota and North Dakota are notoriously frigid during the winter. The South, on the other hand, such as in South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, etc. don't see this kind of cold. The mere fact that it snowed in Tallahassee Florida is disturbing. Where I'm from, we don't see snow except every blue moon and then its only flurries for a few hours and it disappears. We now have ice and up to 5 inches of snow. The last time it snowed like this, my dh was about 10. He's 57 now! People were building snowmen and making angles, lol! Then there's the snow on the beach. THAT is freaking amazing!!! I don't know if you've heard of Hilton Head Beach, but if you had, you'd know its just not "done." They got snow yesterday and several beaches are covered. 

9° F and we have....

Very cold wind chills expected. The cold wind chills will
cause frostbite in as little as 30 minutes to exposed skin.
Expect wind chills to range from 15 to 20 below zero at times.

My poor dog isn't happy about going out.