What's the weather like?

Virginia

The weatherpeople predict it will be 32 °C today (outside maximum temperature), that's a bit too hot for me! Inside it's 26 °C, still doable but it will be less doable once the temperature rises later today as inside it will warm up then too (it's only morning here now).

Raven, I hope you enjoy your week off :)!

It's way too hot. Temperatures ranging from 18 (early morning) to 26 (middle of the day) and down to 14-16 (night time).

I'm not sleeping properly at night, so I'm already exhausted when I go sit in my sun trap of an air-con-less office and slowly stew for eight hours. I'm getting dehyrated and headachey no matter how much water I drink, I have no energy or motivation to do anything or go anywhere and the air is so heavy and humid I feel like I have a permanent coat of just-dried sweat all over my body.

I cannot. Wait. For winter. None of the above, just crisp, fresh air and temperatures that'll get you moving.

I've had trouble sleeping at night as well. I live on the top floor of a building with no air con and windows that don't fully open. 

It's actually cooler for me to go outside and sit in the shade than swelter up in my room. I like hot weather when it's the holidays, I'm lying around drinking a pint and enjoying myself. Not when there's no a/c. :( 

Edited by Angury

14 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

29C today - I think the heat`s affecting the internet connection, cos it keeps going off. Aaarggh.

Sorry to hear that :( that's not nice.

It was 31 °C yesterday evening in my living room, and it was even hotter outside. It was hot in the bedroom last night, falling asleep was difficult as it was just too hot to be comfortable. I spent most of yesterday wearing my bikini, it was just too hot for more clothes (and gladly no one can see me from the street, in the bakery). They predict it will be hot for a few more days, then it will cool down and we'll have rain and possibly thunderstorms. Nature really needs some rain, the poor plants and wild animals really need it. Of course, predictions for in a few days time, are always somewhat inaccurate, so we'll have to see what happens.

17 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Luckily our office air con is working at the moment....I agree with you though, it's too much especially when you have to go to work as well.

Our building doesn't have air con, full stop. Most of the university doesn't, because they're really old buildings that were never modernized. Ireland as a general rule doesn't have air con, though.

16 hours ago, Angury said:

I've had trouble sleeping at night as well. I live on the top floor of a building with no air con and windows that don't fully open. 

It's actually cooler for me to go outside and sit in the shade than swelter up in my room. I like hot weather when it's the holidays, I'm lying around drinking a pint and enjoying myself. Not when there's no a/c. :( 

That's the thing - everyone wants hot weather, except that they don't *really* want it - they want it on their days off and holidays, nobody wants to be traipsing around in the heat or stuck cooking in an office. That's what irks me when people are in a nice warm office in winter complaining about the rain which, unlike heat, remains firmly outside! :giggle:

Temperatures are meant to drop back down to high teens here from Thursday on, so looking forward to that.

Also, I genuinely feel for everyone in countries and cities where the temp is even more unbearable than here. My bestie lives in London and she's suffering awfully from 33-34 degree heat. I couldn't cope. I actually couldn't.

Yeah from someone in London who has to cope with that heat - it stinks!  Especially when your useless train company has an endless list of excuses as to why they can't provide trains home, and you have to sit on a hot bus crawling to another station, and then cram into a crowded grossly overheated tube train which has no air con (and is sweltering even in winter) - welcome to my world!  It does seem a bit breezier today thankfully -and yes you're right in saying that the heat is OK if you don't have to work in it, although it's pretty bad at home as well, and very sticky at night, as generally we don't have air con at home like they do in hotter countries (if they can afford it of course), I think it's easier to get warm when it's cold then to keep cool when it's hot.  I would hate to live in a hot country.

1 hour ago, Madeleine said:

Yeah from someone in London who has to cope with that heat - it stinks!  Especially when your useless train company has an endless list of excuses as to why they can't provide trains home, and you have to sit on a hot bus crawling to another station, and then cram into a crowded grossly overheated tube train which has no air con (and is sweltering even in winter) - welcome to my world!  It does seem a bit breezier today thankfully -and yes you're right in saying that the heat is OK if you don't have to work in it, although it's pretty bad at home as well, and very sticky at night, as generally we don't have air con at home like they do in hotter countries (if they can afford it of course), I think it's easier to get warm when it's cold then to keep cool when it's hot.  I would hate to live in a hot country.

Oh god, that sounds awful. I can't imagine getting the tube in this sort of weather with all those countless people. A few of my friends went to visit Buckingham Palace yesterday and I was just thinking of awful it must be for the Queens Guards in those massive bearskins.

I guess with hot countries, they are used to hot weather and plan for it accordingly (such as aircon). Here in Britain it's just not for us. :P 

I have to walk forty minutes to get to an appointment later this afternoon and am tempted just to get a taxi. If I walk I'll probably arrive there as a piece of gloop.

Edited by Angury

Generally we don't need air con here (thank goodness) and not that many places have it, even some smaller shops don't have it.  I don't generally find fans much help, especially in an office where they just blow the papers everywhere!  And unless you sit right next to them you don't get much benefit.

Michelle - as in forum owner Michelle - posted something on Facebook yesterday that very rightly pointed out the reason the UK and Ireland (and similarly climated countries) do so poorly in the heat is because our buildings and systems are simply not designed for it - our climate tends to be mild to cold for most of the year, so our buildings are designed to keep heat INSIDE, unlike buildings in hot countries which are designed to cool buildings down.

It's very true.

4 hours ago, Nollaig said:

That's the thing - everyone wants hot weather, except that they don't *really* want it - they want it on their days off and holidays, nobody wants to be traipsing around in the heat or stuck cooking in an office. That's what irks me when people are in a nice warm office in winter complaining about the rain which, unlike heat, remains firmly outside! 

My favourite weather is 15 - 25 °C, with a bit of sunshine and a bit of clouds. I don't want warm weather, and you won't see me sitting outside lazying in the 30 °C sun all day (for various reasons). My parents love the warm weather but they don't complain about it much or anything, they like it and in the weekends like to spent some time lying in the sun if it's possible (it usually isn't). My grandma is one of those people who want warm weather and then she complains it's too hot. Admittedly 35 °C where she is right now, is hot. 

4 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Also, I genuinely feel for everyone in countries and cities where the temp is even more unbearable than here. My bestie lives in London and she's suffering awfully from 33-34 degree heat. I couldn't cope. I actually couldn't.

I feel for those people too :(.

3 hours ago, Madeleine said:

That sounds awful! The trains here were delayed yesterday, my mum got home a lot later than normally. Apparently our tracks and signs and things cannot deal with the heat. They cannot deal with snow either, and when there are leaves on the tracks that causes problems too.

1 hour ago, Nollaig said:

Michelle - as in forum owner Michelle - posted something on Facebook yesterday that very rightly pointed out the reason the UK and Ireland (and similarly climated countries) do so poorly in the heat is because our buildings and systems are simply not designed for it - our climate tends to be mild to cold for most of the year, so our buildings are designed to keep heat INSIDE, unlike buildings in hot countries which are designed to cool buildings down.

It's very true.

That is so true!

On ‎18‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:57 PM, chesilbeach said:

In typically British fashion, it's gone from being too cold/wet/windy to too hot within a few days.  

No wonder we all gets colds in this country there does not seem to be any middle ground.  Over 30 deg here today.  Sat with two fans on blasting at me and making not the slightest bit of difference. 

Was so lovely over the weekend was at the seaside which makes a big difference there is always a nice breeze.

1 hour ago, shirley said:

No wonder we all gets colds in this country there does not seem to be any middle ground.  Over 30 deg here today.  Sat with two fans on blasting at me and making not the slightest bit of difference. 

Was so lovely over the weekend was at the seaside which makes a big difference there is always a nice breeze.

I saw a tweet yesterday (that I can't find now :roll: ) that was something along the lines of:

People in the UK 364 days per year: I want to move somewhere warm

1 day per year:  I'm melting!

It's been another sweltering day here, over 30 degrees again.  Saw a news article that said if it's over 30 degrees again, that makes 5 days in a row making it the hottest June for a long time, and if it's over 33 degrees, that's the hottest June day since 1976 when Britain had the infamous long hot summer heatwave.

9 hours ago, Athena said:

Sorry to hear that :( that's not nice.

It was 31 °C yesterday evening in my living room, and it was even hotter outside. It was hot in the bedroom last night, falling asleep was difficult as it was just too hot to be comfortable. I spent most of yesterday wearing my bikini, it was just too hot for more clothes (and gladly no one can see me from the street, in the bakery). They predict it will be hot for a few more days, then it will cool down and we'll have rain and possibly thunderstorms. Nature really needs some rain, the poor plants and wild animals really need it. Of course, predictions for in a few days time, are always somewhat inaccurate, so we'll have to see what happens.

It seems okay today, so hopefully the broadband glitches are fixed now. :) 

I`m wearing my jim-jam bottoms in the house ; they actually look like summer trousers, thin cotton with a nice design and pockets - it`s too hot ! :)

25c now, 29 tomorrow, and hopefully thunderstorms on Wednesday night ( though we`ve been promised big storms before and got a bit of drizzle instead). 

Commiserations to the Londoners. :(

It's been perfect here so far this week, sunny and in the 70's.  My favorite!  My boss lives out west though and right now they are at 100+ (45c).  No thank you!

I'll be in the UK/Ireland the first 2 weeks of September, you guys.  What kind of weather should I pack for?  I figured light layers, but normally I'm warm so I think I need to bring plenty of light stuff.