What's the weather like?

Virginia

^ Poppy, can I come and visit, please? :D  (Actually I had a dream last night that I was missing Kylie a lot and I asked Dad if I could go and visit her and he said yes, and I was planning on flying over to Australia! I could swing by your place if it's not too much trouble? :smile2:)

The sun is shining which is rather rare over here at the moment, and it's chilling! -21 degrees. Brrrr. :cold:

The sun is shining which is rather rare over here at the moment, and it's chilling! -21 degrees. Brrrr. :cold:

The sun is clear here today :smile: , but 8 degrees Celsius ....That -21 degrees is well chilly!!  :coolsnow:   

Good lord, Frankie, Finnish weather is even worse than here in England!

Snow and ice here in Sheffield.

I don't know... I much prefer the snow to the rains ... :blush::giggle2:  Edit: I mean yours might probably turn into .. slosh? Ours is more likely to stay as snow. 

Edited by frankie

Sludge is the word Frankie...that said, when my Finnish gets to the level of your English...I will be very happy.

I wonder where I got the word 'slosh' :D I would never have come up with the word 'sludge'. Although funnily enough, 'sludge' was one of the words on my pronunciation test years and years ago, and when I got my test back, the professor had written on my paper that I had pronounced it exceptionally well. So I guess I can pronounce it but not use it in a sentence :lol: 

(It was in reference to food, the word 'sludge'. In the pronunciation test.)

A mix of rain and snow falling is called sleet, but when the snow on the ground starts to melt, down in the West Country we call it slush, which is very close to slosh, so perhaps that's where it came from?

Edit: Actually, slosh is a word I associate with water - when you carry a bucket of water, it sloshes around in the bucket.  Also, sludge for me is more of a watery mud, the sort of thing you get one the shoreline of a beach.  Just goes to show, we can't even decide on the same words within the UK, let alone in the English language as a whole, so the quality of your English is brilliant, frankie! :D

A mix of rain and snow falling is called sleet, but when the snow on the ground starts to melt, down in the West Country we call it slush, which is very close to slosh, so perhaps that's where it came from?

Hm. I wouldn't know. All I know is that the word 'slosh' came to my mind and my initial reaction was to spell it with an 'o'. I know the word sleet but for some reason it wasn't the word I was after. :shrug: I don't know :D I trust you English natives! 

Edit: On re-reading your post, chesil, I did mean the snow on the ground turning into the more 'melted' type of snow. The one that makes your shoes very damnably wet, so I guess you're right, and somehow I speak West Country English well, even if I spell it incorrectly :cool::D 

Edited by frankie

Edit: Actually, slosh is a word I associate with water - when you carry a bucket of water, it sloshes around in the bucket.  Also, sludge for me is more of a watery mud, the sort of thing you get one the shoreline of a beach.  Just goes to show, we can't even decide on the same words within the UK, let alone in the English language as a whole, so the quality of your English is brilliant, frankie! :D

We call it slush here in the States as well.

It always amazes me, Frankie, that you and Gaia are not native speakers of English; your English skills are really that good!

^^^^^^^^^^^^Absolutely!!^^^^^^^^^^^^  I am in complete awe, to tell the truth. :cool:  :yes:

Ahh, the weather.  Changeable as always at this time of year.  Up here it'll come close to freezing tonight, although not quite.  As opposed to the very moderate rainy weather we've been having lately.  Of course in a few days the rain will begin again.  Husband (who is from New York) keeps looking at the sky and saying....."those sure look like snow couds!".  :D :D  But, no dice! :giggle2:

Edited by pontalba