Lost in a Good Book

Athena

So yesterday evening I read quite a bit in the book I'm currently reading (Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 3: The High Lord), and I didn't want to stop reading. Unfortunately at some point it was time for bed and I was pretty sleepy. I was also at a good point in the story to stop. So I went to bed but kept thinking about the book and what's going to happen next.

I think most of us have been there, when you're reading a good book and you want to keep on reading it until it's finished to find out what happens (or what has happened in some cases).

This doesn't happen to me with every book, some are more gripping than others, and even when it doesn't happen as much it doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the book (for example, I find that usually with information books I don't feel as big a pull to read on as I do with a good fiction book).

Personally, this happens to me with some books, but because I get quite sleepy in the evening it doesn't happen often that I go to bed very late because of a book. But I have put off other things / tasks before (such as cooking for example) because I wanted to finish my book.

If a book is epic or gripping or just really good, it tends to linger in my mind for a while and I think about it (process it).

Well, I just wanted to share the experience and ask how it works for you.

I don't tend to experience this as often these days, but when I was a teenager I would wait eagerly for each new Harry Potter book to be released. When I first bought the Order of the Phoenix I stayed up until 5am just so I could finish reading it!

I read before I go to bed, so it doesn't happen often, as I get sleepy after a while no matter how good the book is. 

It's the same with tv-series. While I don't watch them before I go to bed, I can't watch more than 2 or maybe 3 hours tops of the same series. I can't binge-watch, no matter how much I like a series. 

On holiday last week we holidayed ourselves out each day, so when we read in the evening before bed we were both super tired. I had started reading Neil Gaiman's The Ocean At The End Of The Lane, but found myself getting quite upset at what a character was having to deal with and had to take the decision to not read anymore of the story until we were home, as on the first night into the story I had not slept for fretting! :blush2:

Lots of books stay with me, and I often read later than I should, especially when I haven't reached a natural break point in the story. If I anticipate a book keeping me up, I try to avoid a bed time read of it, getting in a few chapters earlier on in the evening.

I tend to read before bed, so usually end up getting sleepy and having to put the book down. But I've noticed that I get sleepy with some books, even if I'm reading them in the middle of the day (on the weekend, etc). It's usually non-fiction that it happens with - perhaps because it's not as easy to read, or sometimes not as exciting (as fiction).   :blush2: 

I've been known to sit up in bed and read till 4 in the morning.  Sometimes we just have to know what happens next! :P  :readingtwo:

Fortunately the light doesn't bother husband.  Not that anything does when he is sleeping....... :giggle2:

Do y'all become unconscious whilst reading?  /giggle/  My Aunt used to become very outdone calling me.....

I usually can still hear what's going on around me. I can't fade out other sounds so well. I wish I could. I can't read when it's too noisy around me.

And :giggle2:, that must have been a bit annoying for her :P.

Sometimes more than a bit........ :giggle2:   But she was a good egg about it. :)

Before MS I used to stay up all hours to read. One book trilogy though had me up till 6am reading it - The Robin Hobb - Assassins Apprentices books.

Now days reading makes me sleepy, so I have to make sure I head to bed early so I can get some done. I do read during the day now and then.

Edited by Devi

Before MS I used to stay up all hours to read. One book trilogy though had me up till 6am reading it - The Robin Hobb - Assassins Apprentices books.

Now days reading makes me sleepy, so I have to make sure I head to bed early so I can get some done. I do read during the day now and then.

When did your MS start, how old were you? It's not nice at all reading makes you sleepy nowadays :(.

When did your MS start, how old were you? It's not nice at all reading makes you sleepy nowadays :(.

I started showing MS signs at 22, but the neurologist seems to think I had it since my teens due to the amount of lesions and how advanced they were.