I'm looking for a good book recommendation that takes place in England

I know that's a brief description but it really is that plain, any good book that takes place in England.. I'll be honest, it was the show & book "Outlander" that got me so interested in English history & traditions (even though the book takes place in Scotland more than it did England). I'm English-American and it was the first time I felt such a connection to my English Roots. Lol hard to explain. But anyways, the recommendation doesn't have to be all that similar. It doesn't even have to be historical fiction. But if it is, all the better. I would just like that it takes place in England. Thank you so much.

The one that comes to mind for me is Michel Faber - The Crimson Petal and the White, it takes place in Victorian London. Charlotte Brontë - Jane Eyre also takes place in England I think, but I can't remember where exactly. There are other classics that take place in England also but I haven't read them yet (ie. I think some Jane Austen books perhaps). I've read quite a few books that take place in London or other places in the UK, but most of them only describe the places briefly (I'd be happy to look them up though I think some are for example chick-lit which I think is not what you're looking for). The Crimson Petal and the White impressed me a lot, with its descriptions of the people there and the environment. It's been quite a few years since I read Jane Eyre but I loved it when I read it.

I also recommend you take a look at the English Counties Challenge, which contains ideas and discussions for books for each county.

Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd is the one I'd recommend. :smile:  To give you an idea of what it's about, this quote from Wikipedia gives a pretty good description;

Sarum (latterly titled Sarum: The Novel of England) is a work of historical fiction  by Edward Rutherfurd, first published in 1987. It tells the story of England through the tales of several families in and around the English city of Salisbury,  the writer's own hometown - stretching from prehistoric times to 1985.

Oh oh- Pillars of the Earth!  By Ken Follett.  It is fiction, but isn't Victorian.

Amazon:

A departure for the bestselling thriller writer, this historical epic—a twelfth-century tale of the building of a mighty Gothic cathedral—stunned readers and critics alike with its ambitious scope and gripping humanity.  [Pillars of the Earth] chronicles the vicissitudes of a prior, his master builder, and their community as they struggle to build a cathedral and protect themselves during the tumultuous 12th century, when the empress Maud and Stephen are fighting for the crown of England after the death of Henry I.