Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

beverley

Hi everyone i was just wondering if anyone has read breakfast at tiffanys? i have just finished reading other voices ,other rooms by Trueman Capote and i really enjoyed it, it was hard going at times but he is such a beautiful descriptive writer.cheers bevsx :D:reading: :wave:

• 8 months later...

I read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote a few years ago, which was very interesting, if a bit... harrowing is too strong a word, but I can't think of anything better at the moment!

Controversial and compelling, "In Cold Blood" reconstructs the murder in 1959 of a Kansas farmer, his wife and both their children. Truman Capote's comprehensive study of the killings and subsequent investigation explores the circumstances surrounding this terrible crime and the effect it had on those involved. At the centre of his study are the amoral young killers Perry Smith and Dick Hickcock, who, vividly drawn by Capote, are shown to be reprehensible yet entirely and frighteningly human. The book that made Capote's name, In Cold Blood is a seminal work of modern prose, a remarkable synthesis of journalistic skill and powerfully evocative narrative.

I'd like to read Breakfast at Tiffany's. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone i was just wondering if anyone has read breakfast at tiffanys? i have just finished reading other voices ,other rooms by Trueman Capote and i really enjoyed it, it was hard going at times but he is such a beautiful descriptive writer.cheers bevsx :):) :wave:
:tv: I've seen the movie but not read the book :book:

I'd love to though:readingtwo:

• 1 month later...

i read the book many years ago

it's quite light and very easy to read. to be honest, from my hazy memory, i'm not sure it offers more than the film. it goes against the grain for me to say that too as i rarely read books i've seen the film to or vice versa as i so often end up disappointed.

the only change really is that it is much more evident what it is holly does for a living

In Cold Blood is Capote's best book, I think, and indeed is the last full length book he completed, despite living twenty years after its publication. Sadly he seemed to become more interested after that in living an interesting life than in writing interesting books. Many of his other stories are worth a look though, as is the other novella-length nonfiction piece Handcarved Coffins, which is a little like In Cold Blood. His unfinished novel Answered Prayers is entertaining but very fixed in the society circles he moved in and I suspect it suffers if (like me) you don't know which real life person each character is supposed to represent.

Hi everyone i was just wondering if anyone has read breakfast at tiffanys? i have just finished reading other voices ,other rooms by Trueman Capote and i really enjoyed it, it was hard going at times but he is such a beautiful descriptive writer.cheers bevsx :):D :wave:
I've never read the book but I've seen the movie!

bev welcome to the forum!:motz:

:dunno:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

In that case I think you would enjoy Breakfast at Tiffany's, Anika. :D I also loved In Cold Blood; it became one of my favourite books. I recently bought a few more of Capote's books, and I can't wait to read them!