Dean Koontz - Good and Bad?

Michelle

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read all of Koontz's work, but I could not stand The Taking. I would not recommend it to anyone (except perhaps someone I really disliked). :lol:

I was pleasantly surprised by his Frankenstein books - has anyone else read these? I avoided them for a long time as I am not a fan of anything to do with Frankenstein, but I really enjoyed these. (I would say they are only loosely related to a Frankenstein plot.)

I don't know if the third is out yet or not... I'll pop over to Amazon later and have a look. :roll:

One quick trip to Amazon later...

Book 3 is called Dead and Alive and it's not out until 6 May 2008! :lol:

• 6 months later...

Bit of threadomancy going on here; hope that's okay.

I much prefer Dean Koontz's earlier books - the first one I recall reading was Lightning. Absolutely loved it. And Dragon Tears was the next, I think. However, stylistically, I believe DT was where it all started going 'wrong'. His novels these days read like a treatise of "Look how many big words I know". I get the feeling sometimes he's trying to make the reader think, "Wow, look at all the pretty words," to the detriment of any story.

I know his Odd Thomas series has been praised to the skies and while I found it to be oh-kay, as I said, I much prefer Lightning and other earlier books.

However, as I was born contrary, I like The Taking, despite it being one of his less popular books. I don't jump on his books as soon as they appear in hardback now; I'll get them out of the library and if I don't find them available, I'll buy them in paperback. From the supermarket, where they're cheaper. :) I have The Face, Velocity and The Good Guy on Mount TBR at the moment and I think he has a new pb due out soon.

I loved, loved, loved his books as a teenager and in my 20s and only feel regret that I've lost that Koontzlust when he publishes a new novel.

I blame the hair-weave. He's the anti-Samson. He's lost his powers now he has more hair.

Lightning remains my favourite Koontz to date. I haven't enjoyed his more recent ones nearly so much as the ones that were released further back.

Ooh I have that on my bookshelf (along with two others of his) Maybe I will read that one first.

E.T.A.

In fact I have these three:

Shadowfire

Dark Rivers of the Heart

The Face

Does anybody have any recommendation as to which I should read first?

• 4 months later...

Watchers was the first book of his I read, and still the one I remember most vividly and fondest. Off the back of reading that I ploughed through 20 odd (excuse the pun - not actually read any of the Odd Thomas ones) of his novels up to the late 1990s (Seize the Night, being the last I think), but seem to have lost touch with him since then. Have always enjoyed what he wrote and found him an incredibly easy read - but having just flicked through the past titles I've read I'm pushed to remember what actually happened in almost half of them.

I think Koontz changed his writing themes dramatically some years ago. His earlier novels tended to feature conspiracy theory type plots and evil government organisations up to all sorts (usually involving recombinant DNA). Then he seemed to stop writing these and move towards a slightly more spiritual theme, with less supernatural stuff or paranoia.

I liked his earlier books a lot, but I also like his more recent stuff and still buy everything he writes. But I think his earlier work is the stuff I prefer.

I loved The Face (it was the first book of his I had read). I also really liked Life Expectancy. The Taking was pretty good, but The Eyes of Darkness was dire. Generally I think his earlier stuff was not so good as the stuff he is doing now.

I've only read Midnight and thought it was fantastic. For some reason I've never followed up on any of his other work. Is Midnight typical of his novels?

Edited by Sedge
Poor typing!

I've only read Midnight and thought it was fantastic. For some reason I've never followed up on any of his other work. Is Midnight typical of his novels?

I read Midnight over 20 years ago and I can't even remember the storyline, however - it's stuck with me as a really good read and I then followed it up with: The Key to Midnight - which is the follow on book ( Ignore this I am talking rubbish!) - I enjoyed that one too! I would say that most of his earlier books I enjoyed, but I couldn't say if Midnight was typical as my memory isn't up to it I'm afraid! :friends0:

Edited by Loopyloo100
( Ignore this I am talking rubbish!)

I read Midnight over 20 years ago and I can't even remember the storyline, however - it's stuck with me as a really good read and I then followed it up with: The Key to Midnight - which is the follow on book - I enjoyed that one too! I would say that most of his earlier books I enjoyed, but I couldn't say if Midnight was typical as my memory isn't up to it I'm afraid! :friends0:

Thanks Loopyloo. I didn't know there was a sequel - it'll be added to my shelves soon!

• 1 month later...

I've just finished The Darkest Evening of the Year and wasn't that impressed. He seems to be suffering from Stephen-King-itis - ie his earlier stuff was great and his latest stuff is comparatively poor.

At the moment, he seems to be fixated on God and the divine loveliness of dogs, particularly golden retrievers(!). :D He needs to pull his socks up, methinks.