Dean Koontz - Good and Bad?

Michelle

Most people that I ask about this guy will say that they loved some of his books, and didn't like others. I'm the same, and I'm never sure whether to buy a new book of his, just in case it's one I don't like.

Although I know tastes vary, I thought it might be helpful to list some of the titles we've either liked or not liked, perhaps with a quick reason and/or review.

I'll have to go and peek through Amazon to remember, and get back to you....

:D

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...

Mine will probably be a list of the ones I enjoyed, as I tend to forget the ones I didn't!

Frankenstein, Book One - this is the latest of his that I've read, and it is enjoyable.. it takes the Frankenstein story a step further. In fact, I'm looking forward to Book two.

The Taking - Fascinating book, with an end that I wasn't quite expecting! As with alot of books like this, you have such a build up, that the ending is always a slight 'let-down' Still a good book.

False Memory - this was a good thriller.

Demon Seed - a quick, easy read. Highly enjoyable though.

The rest I remember reading, and enjoying, but couldn't tell you much about them. To me, that's typical of Koontz.. most books are enjoyable enough at the time, but nothing too outstanding.

The Eyes of Darkness

From the Cornor of His Eye - This one was unusual, but good.

The Servants of Twilight

Tick Tock

The Sole Survivor

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lightning is my favourite - a wonderfully dark exploration into the posibility of time travel. But don't let that put you off, it's not at all sci-fi-ish - it's thriller through & through! A must-read for anyone who fancies giving him a try. It's quite possibly the most well-thought out & cleverist of all his offerings to date.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have read all of his books to date and found that the only one I didn't like was 'Mr Murder' just couldn't get into that, though I did read it all I was not impressed.

I love the way he varies his writing, the book of his that has most surprised me was 'The Taking' ~ WOW did that ever give me the shivers LOL.

My most favourite characters were in 'Life Expectancy', think I spent alot of that book crying with laughter, and such a brilliant story.

But my all time top 10 of his books are:

Watchers

Strangers

Lightening

Life Expectancy

Midnight

Intensity

Velocity

The Sole Survivor

Whispers

The Eyes Of Darkness

Guest Anonymous

I enjoyed The Taking, I got it in a charity shop for about 50p ( I get most books from charity shops ).

I thought it was well written, and I liked the creepiness of it too!

Guest Anonymous

I agree Inanna!

I like Deans' work and the way he draws you in then changes things right at the last minute ! *read The Taking* hehe !

:D

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've read nearly all of Koontz's work, and I agree that it is quite variable in quality. A lot of my favourites tend to be his older books.

My favourites include:

Intensity

Watchers

Strangers

The Door to December

Sole Survivor

Lightning

Sorry to those who liked it, but I absolutely loathed The Taking. It's the worst book I've ever finished. It really did bore me, with its multi-page descriptions of rain, and it never seemed to actually get anywhere, before its complete cop-out of an ending. Perhaps I just missed the point! :?

I also couldn't get into Icebound (gave up halfway), Demon Seed and the ones about Christopher Snow. I currently have three of his books on my TBR pile - Velocity and the two Frankenstein books.

I enjoyed The Taking, but nowhere near as much as some of his others. My favourite remains Lightning - I love that one. The whole concept was so cleverly thought-out, even including the ever-tricky topic of paradox (which is often left dangling loose in time-travel stories). There is just something about this one that sticks in my mind & every now & then I find myself remembering little bits of it & thinking to myself "oh yes, that bit was really good!"