Dean Koontz - Good and Bad?

Michelle

Some Dean Koontz I really liked....others...eh...not so good....Intensity, Life Expectancy, Sole Survivor, The Taking were all pretty good.....The Servants of Twilight was crappy....and Velocity was so-so...there are more I read, but I can't remember right at the moment!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the two previous Odd books - I have to admit, I bought the first one solely because of the title, Odd Thomas. It seemed perfect, as my surname is Thomas and our family is a bit odd!

Really pleased to hear there is going to be a third

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

Koontz's stuff is variable to say the least. At its best, it's wonderful (Intensity), but some would never have got published if they didn't have his name on the cover (The Taking).

I currently have four of his books on my TBR pile: Velocity, Forever Odd, and two Frankenstein books. The guy writes them faster than I can read them! :shock:

• 5 months later...

I can't remember one of Mr. Koontz's that I didn't enjoy. I tend to read his books faster than any other author's.

Feeling a bit frustrated, though, by being left hanging on the Christopher Snow series. Wish he'd hurry and and get around to writing the third book.:)

I read 'Hideaway' which was really good and another one about a town that was empty, it was made into a film with Ben Affleck, I will check x

'Phantoms', that's it, that was good too. :)

• 1 month later...

The only Koontz book that I have enjoyed was Watchers.I couldn't even finish most of his others. :) But the thing is, I always end up picking some up and giving them a go, even though past history says I most likely won't enjoy it. :D I really want to like his books - don't ask me why though. :weeping:

• 4 weeks later...

I havent read anytjing by dean koontz in a long time- after reading several of his books they all seem to be very formulaic and i just lost interest in his work

It really depends which of Koontz's books you read - if you try something like Lightning, that's completely unlike anything else I've ever read by him and remains my favourite of his, as well as ranking pretty high on my list orf favourite books - very clever and very well thought out.

• 2 months later...
Now, I always get Dean Koontz and John Saul confused, but I seem to remember - is DK the one who makes a point of NOT expressing a happy ending (as it, the monster still lives, or the main character dies)?

Not always - I can think of quite a few where the main character is quite happy at the end of a DK book, although quite often one of the main characters dies horribly, and they certainly go through many trials and tribulations...

He is one of my favourite authors and I have enjoyed all books that I've read especially Sole Survivor. He has a way of making me think the impossible just could be possible!! Sounds like The Taking will be next on my list. Bought Brother Odd recently but haven't got round to it yet....think it might be "one too many" though!

Sounds like The Taking will be next on my list.

I recently read this one (you can read my review here) and I really recommend it to any Dean Koontz fan. I haven't read many of his newer books, but I'm a big fan of a couple of his older ones, especially Hideaway, Cold Fire, and The Bad Place. I also remember Watchers and Lightning both being very good, but I read them years ago.

As for comparing him to John Saul, another author I've read extensively, I actually find them to be very different. One thing I've noticed about a lot of John Saul books (or even most of them) is they are all very similar: they all usually involve a single parent, and center around a young person, usually someone between the ages of 11 and 16. Dean Koontz, on the other hand, usually has all adults as his main characters, and has more adult scenes, such as sexual scenes. But honestly, they're both great for a quick, thrilling read.

Not always - I can think of quite a few where the main character is quite happy at the end of a DK book, although quite often one of the main characters dies horribly, and they certainly go through many trials and tribulations...

Aha! I just navigated through the John Saul website (amid much squinting - it's not very reader friendly!), and I *did* have the 2 confused!