October Horror Month 2014 Group Read Poll and Set-Up Discussion

Athena

October Horror Month 2014 Group Read Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which book(s) would you like to read for October Horror Month?

• Stephen King - Carrie
    • Stephen King - The Shining
    • Stephen King - Pet Semetary
    • Stephen King - The Dark Half
    • Joe Hill - Horns
    • Joe Hill - Heart-Shaped Box
    • Joe Hill - NOS4R2
    • Clive Barker - Mister B Gone

Please vote which book or books you'd be interested in reading for October Horror month. If you have a preference in those you voted for (if you voted for multiple), please post it below.

I think we will read one or two books, depending on how the poll and preferences turn out.

I'd be up for most of the books listed, except for Mister B Gone as the synopsis doesn't interest me. I've recently read Carrie so I don't want to read it again so soon, but wouldn't mind discussing it with others. Between the rest, I'd prefer The Shining or Heart-Shaped Box as I own both of these in English. I don't own Horns or NOS4R2 but am interested in purchasing them. I own Pet Semetary and The Dark Half in Dutch (gifts) so would read them but would prefer to read The Shining (though it has been a previous group read so I suppose not many others are interested in it). Sorry if this all sounds a bit vague! I'll have a better think about it when I'm less tired and see if I can come up with something easier to understand :blush2:.

I'm voting for Horns, as I think everyone will like it.  It is on my 2014 TBR list as a re-read for this year.  I also voted for Mr. B Gone, as I own it, haven't read it and "something" by Clive Barker is on my short TRB for the remainder of the year.  I'm so excited!

I just hope Carrie isn't picked, simply because, like Athena, I just re-read it a few months ago (maybe we were even reading it at the same time lol).

On a side note: Pumpkin everything is out here right now- latte's, bagels, cream cheese, muffins, etc.  I can't wait for Halloween!  :cat:

Edited by Anna Begins

I just hope Carrie isn't picked, simply because, like Athena, I just re-read it a few months ago (maybe we were even reading it at the same time lol).

On a side note: Pumpkin everything is out here right now- latte's, bagels, cream cheese, muffins, etc.  I can't wait for Halloween!  :cat:

I read it near the end of May, when did you read it?

It looks like Horns is in the lead at the moment. I propose we keep the poll open for another 5-6 days, so everyone who's interested has a chance to vote.

I read it near the end of May, when did you read it?

It looks like Horns is in the lead at the moment. I propose we keep the poll open for another 5-6 days, so everyone who's interested has a chance to vote.

:exc: For Horns!  I can highly suggest the Sample to see if you are interested in it.  The movie is due for Halloween (here, not sure about UK).

I did the Immersion Audio read of Carrie for July's read a thon.  It worked out well because it was such a short book, but still took me longer than I would have taken to read it myself.  I just wanted to hear Sissy Spacek read it!

It looks like not many more votes have been added. I'll keep the poll open for another day, but it looks like Horns will win with Carrie as second. Will we be reading one or two books?

P.S. Even if the book of your choice won't win, you're absolutely welcome to do a group read with it if you find others who want to join you :).

P.S. Even if the book of your choice won't win, you're absolutely welcome to do a group read with it if you find others who want to join you :).

I'd be interested in doing a group read for Mr. B Gone, but I am going to read Horns first :smile: Perfect opportunity to scratch off another book for this year's TBR (it's the only re-read on the list) and I have "anything by Clive Barker" on the short list so it's a win/ win there for me.  :D

It looks like Horns by Joe Hill will win. We'll have that as a group read if it indeed wins, and if anyone's interested we can also do a group read of any of the books that didn't win alongside Horns (feel free to create your own thread). How does that sound? ('sound'... well I wasn't sure how else to say it)

I will be closing the poll tomorrow morning, Sunday 28th September in my morning (GMT + 1 + DST).

I've unlocked this thread, so we can try to sort out how to arrange this. Claire has been very organised with her group read, but each one can run in it's own way. For those of you meaning to read Horns, are you hoping to discuss as you read, or after? Shall we use spoilers throughout, or will this disrupt the flow? How abouts splitting the book into 4, and covering one section per week? Any other ideas?

I'm undecided. I'd like to discuss as I go along, but at the same time I don't want to risk reading/revealing spoilers. I'm not bothered by the use of spoiler tags - I don't feel that would be disruptive. :dunno:

I agree too, I don't want to spoil anything.  I like the idea of spoiler tags.  My Kindle Fire shows the actual page numbers for Horns, so readers could say which page # they are on.  I started today and I think BB started already too, right? 

Edited by Anna Begins

I'll make the thread tomorrow (on October first). I've ordered my copy of Horns but it hasn't been send yet and will probably take some days to get here as well (I could've ordered from other places, but the BookDepository was cheapest in this case, it just takes longer though). I will read it once I get it though, I should definitely have it finished before the end of October (I can read pretty fast).

Spoiler tags are good with me too :). I won't be reading them before I've read the book. You could always say, spoilers up to halfway through the book or such, then the people who are halfway but haven't yet finished the book can read them also.