Kindle Voyage

Athena

Amazon has a new Kindle that will be released in October (US) / November (UK), the Kindle Voyage: Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk. I'm not sure when it'll be out exactly. I didn't see it posted anywhere so thought I'd make a post about it. It sounds like an improved Kindle Paperwhite. It's got the light but now it can automatically adjust based on environmental light. It's also got PagePress, sensors that detect your fingers so it flips the page for you without you having to press the button. It also seems to have more storage than earlier Kindles. Well, I don't know much about it, I just read the Amazon page. It looks good though.

I will reserve judgment until I see it. I replaced my old Keyboard recently with a standard Kindle and am not in a hurry to replace it again. I would have liked a Paperwhite, but funds have been a bit tight lately what with a wedding and a trip to Iceland to pay for !    

There is also a new Kindle Fire out for $99 or 79 Pounds and comes in a variety of border colors.  It is slightly smaller, at 6 inches and has a 8 or 16GB memory.  It has both a rear and front facing camera, plus you can do all the normal Fire things, like Immersion Reading or access to download in their huge movie and music library.  You can still change the font and the background (I'm loving sepia).  I believe there is a 30 day return policy.

US- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC6I06S/ref=br_imp_ara-1?_encoding=UTF8&nav_sdd=aps&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=1KJ1GWC4SM6TT5MEDX50&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1924735102&pf_rd_i=507846

UK- http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KC6KMWI/ref=br_imp_ara-1?_encoding=UTF8&nav_sdd=aps%2Fref%3Dgw_183205787_1&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=139E07P61ECTHBNJYYZ5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=530220407&pf_rd_i=468294

Edited by Anna Begins

I have a Kindle Keyboard and was tempted by the Paperwhite when it was on offer a few months ago. I decided to wait to see what the new models would be like but £169 for the wifi Voyager seems expensive for what it is. Will probably still upgrade to the Paperwhite.

• 1 month later...

(I said years ago that I thought the Kindle should have a light built in)

Like paperbacks have a light built in? :giggle2:

I'm still on my Kindle Keyboard, so the Voyage is appealing to me.  I'm going to wait until people have put up reviews on Amazon after they've been using it for a while, though.

I'm still on my Kindle Keyboard, so the Voyage is appealing to me.  I'm going to wait until people have put up reviews on Amazon after they've been using it for a while, though.

I think that's always a wise decision, to wait for some reviews :). I find the Voyage very appealing. I have a first generation Kindle Paperwhite, but I'm not using my Kindle that much compared to paperbooks, so I don't think I could justify the total price at the moment (I have to order mine from the US which means higher shipping costs and import tax).

I was in Waterstone's yesterday and they had Kindle Voyages in stock :o   What happened next was completely beyond my control, of course :giggle2:

So I got it home, took it out of the box and had a little play with it, then my mum was saying she didn't know what to get me for Christmas.  So I put it back in the box, and now I won't see it again until Christmas Day :cry:   :Tantrum:  :giggle2:

^ Ha! That's mum's for you ;)

I'm hoping to get to a Waterstone's tomorrow, so I'll have a look and see if they've got one to try out.  My Kindle keyboard does have the odd moment of black blocks across part of the page, or doesn't charge up even if plugged in overnight, but until it breaks, I can't justify spending that much money on a new one, but I am finding more and more I wish I had the Paperwhite or Voyage version with the adjustable lighting.

My Kindle keyboard does have the odd moment of black blocks across part of the page

That's been happening on my Kindle Keyboard, too.  More worryingly, though, the page turn button on the right-hand side has stopped working properly, and that's the button I use most of all.

^ Ha! That's mum's for you ;)

I'm hoping to get to a Waterstone's tomorrow, so I'll have a look and see if they've got one to try out.  My Kindle keyboard does have the odd moment of black blocks across part of the page, or doesn't charge up even if plugged in overnight, but until it breaks, I can't justify spending that much money on a new one, but I am finding more and more I wish I had the Paperwhite or Voyage version with the adjustable lighting.

You may want to consider giving Amazon a tel. call (or text) and explaining the problems with your current kindle. I had a problem with my kindle fire after a year or so and they sent me a new one in exchange for the old kindle fire.

Edited by muggle not

I only upgraded to a Paperwhite recently.  I am very pleased to have the Kindle with the light (I said years ago that I thought the Kindle should have a light built in) so I won't be rushing to buy this!

Same with me - I've had the Paperwhite for a few months now and am happy with it. It would be a bit wasteful for me to upgrade now.

That's been happening on my Kindle Keyboard, too.  More worryingly, though, the page turn button on the right-hand side has stopped working properly, and that's the button I use most of all.

That's what happened with my Keyboard. As I'm right-handed, it was the right-side button for me that didn't work everytime. Got worn out I suppose.

Edited by bobblybear

I was in Waterstone's yesterday and they had Kindle Voyages in stock :o   What happened next was completely beyond my control, of course :giggle2:

So I got it home, took it out of the box and had a little play with it, then my mum was saying she didn't know what to get me for Christmas.  So I put it back in the box, and now I won't see it again until Christmas Day :cry:   :Tantrum:  :giggle2:

Awww :P, I hope you enjoy it though once you get it for Christmas :)!

Ha!  I do have a Kindle Voyage after all - she gave it back to me as an early Christmas present  :D   I agonised for 24 hours or so about whether I should start using it before Christmas or not, but I couldn't resist in the end  :blush2:  :D

Ha!  I do have a Kindle Voyage after all - she gave it back to me as an early Christmas present  :D   I agonised for 24 hours or so about whether I should start using it before Christmas or not, but I couldn't resist in the end  :blush2:  :D

Woohoo :exc:! Do let us know what you think of it :).

:exc: for new toys- especially reading ones!!

:lol:  Yeah, I'm finding it very exciting, for several reasons.  Bear in mind that I am going from a Kindle Keyboard to the Voyage.  I've never had a gadget with a touch screen display before, so I'm finding it something of a revelation, not just because tapping the screen turns the page (the page turns are so fast compared to the Kindle Keyboard), but for things like using the dictionary and highlighting passages, using the menus etc.  Nothing new for Paperwhite users, there, but very new to me and I love it  :smile:

The screen resolution is so far above the Kindle Keyboard, that's been a revelation, too.  It's to the point where it really does feel to me like reading ink on paper.  I always noticed that I read faster on my original Kindle than I did a paperback, but I seem to be reading faster still on the Voyage (once I got over poking about in the menus and setting up cloud collections for my books :giggle2:).  Maybe I'll get over it when the initial excitement fades  :D

I'm still not convinced that an e-reader needs a light but I can say that the one here lights the screen very evenly and I like that it has a sensor that lets it adapt to the lighting conditions that you're using it in.  Also, if you don't like the setting it chooses you can adjust it and it remembers your chosen setting next time you're in the same conditions, which is great as I am tending to turn it down a lot.  It's got a 'night light' feature which gradually reduces the light when you read in the dark and your eyes adapt, but I'm unlikely to use this.

The pressure-sensitive areas for turning the page work fine, and you can adjust the sensitivity and feedback (they vibrate for a fraction of a second when you press them), but I'm barely using them as I'm too fascinated by the touch-screen  :blush2:  :giggle2:   Seems like a decent feature for those who preferred the old page-turn buttons, though :shrug:

I splashed out and got one of the leather origami covers to put it in.  I've seen a lot of negative comments on Amazon about them not doing a book-style cover for it but, again, I've never had anything like that for my Kindle Keyboard so it's not bothering me.  I actually love this cover, and that it folds to make a stand for the Kindle.  The past couple of mornings I've sat at my desk with the Kindle on the stand and eaten my breakfast whilst reading, just needing to tap the screen once in a while to turn the page :wub::giggle2:

I'm glad you're liking it so far, that's great to hear (read) :)! I can imagine the touchscreen is quite different from a Kindle Keyboard, I'm glad it works well. It's also nice you can make it remember your lighting settings. It sounds like it has a lot of new features, compared to your old Kindle Keyboard, so I'm glad you're enjoying it :).

I'm glad you're liking the cover too, it sounds quite nice that you can put it on a stand. What colour is yours?

Thanks for telling us about the Voyage, Steve.  I think I'm going to have to get a new Kindle at some point, and it sounds like this will be the one to go for.  Muggle not - mine's well out of warranty now, and it was a replacement under warranty for my original one anyway, so Amazon won't replace it again, so if it does ever fail, I'll have to buy a new one.  I couldn't be without one now, so maybe I'll have to start saving some pennies now in case my does eventually go kaput! :D