Deserted Island books

Anna Begins

I think I would choose:

Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson - The Wheel of Time series, for my fantasy pick. I love this series, it's so epic and amazing.

Peter F. Hamilton - The Night's Dawn trilogy for my science-fiction pick. This is my favourite science-fiction book / series, it's very epic and I love it.

Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic series, for my chick-lit pick. I love this series, it's very funny and entertaining.

Jodi Picoult - My Sister's Keeper for my contemporary pick.

If it's allowed, lastly I would pick my Kindle (if there is power on the island). But if that isn't allowed..

Stephen King - It, my favourite horror book (and it's also a bit historical).

Hmm. I was going to try to be funny and suggest books about building rafts etc so I could escape, but then I realised that you are offering me the chance to read, undisturbed , 5 books, so actually I wouldn't want to escape!

So.....

Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien

The Many-colored Land  - Julian May

Different Seasons - Stephen King

The wind in the willows - Kenneth Graham

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

I was going to say I'd just take my Kindle, but it'd be a bit of a problem recharging it :doh:  Maybe when they get a solar-powered one? :D

I'm thinking I might be on this island for a looooong time, so I'd want some looooong books.  So I'm going to cheat a teensy-weensy bit :hide:

I'd take:

Zones of Thought Omnibus Edition (includes A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky) by Vernor Vinge

The Hyperion Omnibus Edition (includes Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion) by Dan Simmons

Replay by Ken Grimwood

Classic Collection (The Time Machine, The Island of Doctor Moreau, The War of the Worlds, The First Men in the Moon and The Invisible Man in one volume)  by H.G. Wells

The Lord of the Rings (one volume edition) by J R R Tolkien

Should keep me going for a while :D

I was going to say I'd just take my Kindle, but it'd be a bit of a problem recharging it :doh:  Maybe when they get a solar-powered one? :D

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-BP-SC4000-Powered-Capacity-4000mAh/dp/B005ZSSBYY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410975676&sr=1-1&keywords=solar+charger+for+kindle  :D I might be going to go camping- no way does my Kindle not come with!

Cop-out!! That's 14 books. :D

:giggle2: I wanted to take the whole Jack Reacher series with me too, it's like, 19!

I'd take:

1) Gone With the Wind- Margaret Mitchell (my favorite book)

2) Thorn Birds- Colleen McCullough (Could read this and have, over and over)

3) Valley of the Dolls- Jacqueline Susann (Love this book, read it almost every year)

4) Persuader (Jack Reacher #7) by Lee Child (Entertaining)

5) Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher #11) by Lee Child (my favorite Jack Reacher)

Great question!

I think they'd have to be big books that I've yet to read, which I'm likely to want to return to (so a bit of second guessing needed there). I'm hoping that under normal Desert Island rules, I've already got The Bible and the works of Shakespeare already available (please!):

The Penguin History of the World - JM Roberts

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon

Middlemarch - George Eliot

London The Biography - Peter Ackroyd or Life and Fate - Vassily Grossman

but I could well have chosen another five!

Edited by willoyd

I think I would choose:Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson - The Wheel of Time series, for my fantasy pick. I love this series, it's so epic and amazing.

Maybe if you taped them altogether to make a giant omnibus it might count... :P:giggle2:

Edited by Devi

If I was deserted, the last book genre I would want with me is horror. They'd give me all kinds of ideas and fears. 

So my safe choices would be;

Riotous Assembly - Tom Sharpe

Seacrow Island - Astrid Lindgren

Gone with the wind - Margaret Mitchell

Crime & Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Odyssey - Homer

If I was deserted, the last book genre I would want with me is horror. They'd give me all kinds of ideas and fears. 

So my safe choices would be;

Riotous Assembly - Tom Sharpe

Seacrow Island - Astrid Lindgren

Gone with the wind - Margaret Mitchell

Crime & Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Odyssey - Homer

Ha!  We share Gone with the wind- cool.  Crime and Punishment would be a safe one :giggle2: No apocalyptic thrillers? :P