What's your current news about?

Anna Begins

It's the start of the awards season with the BAFTA nominations being announced today ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35260399

I think the only films I've seen on the list are the animated ones!  At least it's one category I can choose a favourite for ... mine would be Shaun The Sheep :D

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Georgia executed a 72-year-old man Tuesday night. Brandon Astor Jones, the oldest inmate on Georgia’s death row, took several minutes to die. Execution staff had to insert an IV into his groin, likely because they could not find a vein in his arms. According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Jones’ eyes closed at first but then opened again six minutes later, looking at the clock on the wall and then the district attorney who prosecuted him for armed robbery in 1979.

Jones was convicted of murdering Roger Tackett, a convenience store manager while trying to rob the store. The death sentence handed down in 1979 was unusually disproportionate for the crime committed, Jones’ lawyers say, and would be unthinkable today.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm generally not fan of entitlement programs, including the Social Security program we have here in the US.  I would rather see people given more opportunities to earn money and then decide for themselves how to spend it rather than just handing the money out, but that's just me :).

I read a story today about a 90 year old gentleman in my state who is trying to plan a dream vacation to see the Canadian Rockies.  He needs a passport though and cannot get one because he has no proof of his birth.  He was born at home on a farm in Iowa and never got a birth certificate.  It's funny, because he served in the Navy and also worked for the government yet up until now he has never needed a passport.

• 2 months later...

A heatwave in India has claimed at least 300 lives so far, with the temperatures above 40ºC. Rivers, lakes and dams have dried up in some areas, several crops and livestock were decimated and at least 330 million indians don't have access to enough water for their daily needs. It's predicted the worst is yet to come, as according to a meteorological officer May is usually the hottest month and there's still a whole summer to endure.  http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/30/daytime-cooking-ban-in-india-as-heatwave-claims-300-lives

Mother Nature can be cruel at times with her activities and weather, but I would say that so many deaths could be prevented by mankind getting together and creating proper access to water supplies. 

I found this article on the governments of Belgium and The Netherlands, who are planning on extending the provision of iodine tablets to people living near nuclear power stations. There appear to be a number of concerns, with both the age (and therefore the reliability) of the reactors being a worry, and the concern that terrorists may target them. 

• 1 month later...

You know your "justice" system is twisted, corrupted and warped when THIS is allowed to happen.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stanford-university-sexual-assault-former-swimmer-brock-turner-witnesses/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab5i&linkId=25296139

I could.not.believe. that father's statement.

That book by Jon Krakaeur is one that has been on my wishlist for a while, I must get around to actually reading it, because that entire case is beyond my comprehension. Oh no, poor baby can't eat steak or smile anymore. Ugh. Revolting. 

That book by Jon Krakaeur is one that has been on my wishlist for a while, I must get around to actually reading it, because that entire case is beyond my comprehension. Oh no, poor baby can't eat steak or smile anymore. Ugh. Revolting.

His Under the Banner of Heaven is awesome! He also wrote Into the Wild, which is good too.

His Under the Banner of Heaven is awesome! He also wrote Into the Wild, which is good too.

I've heard of Into The Wild, not sure it'd be my kinda thing. I didn't know it was by him - I want to read the one about rape and justice systems in Missoula.

I've heard of Into The Wild, not sure it'd be my kinda thing. I didn't know it was by him - I want to read the one about rape and justice systems in Missoula.

Under the Banner of Heaven is about Mormonism. Into the Wild is a better movie, imo. Directed by Sean Penn. Eddie Vedder did the soundtrack.

And the shooting was in a gay club. In a situation where, if I'm reading everything correctly, gay men are severely limited in their ability to donate blood. You know, to the gay people who were just victims of a mass shooting.

I hate this world, sometimes.

I'm also going to miss Obama.

Add to that, the ignorant orangutan, Donald Trump, using this as an excuse to add more fuel to the fire and THANKING his "supporters" for congratulating him on "being right." i swear, that man has managed to unearth every ignorant, illiterate, brain damaged, bigoted, homophobic, xenophobic, racist, uneducated and inbreed species the world has ever seen. He has made them feel safe and secure. God help our country.

As a former law enforcement officer and wife of a retired Marine, we are gun owners. Hubby hunts and the gun we've had, he's had for almost 30 years. Its a .9 (glock) It will get the job done IF the job needs to be done. What I don't understand is WHY we feel the need to let every nut off his meds, access to automatic weapons?!

I honestly love living in a country where it's not at all common or easy for people to have guns. Apart from gangland/drug related shootings, its very rare for guns to be the cause of death for anyone, particularly innocent bystanders. We have a ton of other problems (drink driving, high suicide rates etc) but at least (as a non-driver!) it's not anything likely to get me killed if I go to a club or walk down the street at night etc. *hugs Ireland*

Something definitely needs to be done about the level of accessibility to guns in the States. I've no problem with responsible people owning them, but the uproar whenever regulation is mentioned is crazy. How could anyone, who is a legit responsible gun-owner, NOT feel protected by the idea of things like background checks, licences etc, as Obama says, like with driving. I just don't understand the paranoia that makes people think everything is about attacking their rights over there.

I honestly love living in a country where it's not at all common or easy for people to have guns...I just don't understand the paranoia that makes people think everything is about attacking their rights over there.

I've lived where guns are completely illegal, and it really is a nice feeling.

The question of rights in the United States -- on many fronts, definitely not just gun control -- is a complicated one that many feel very passionate about.

My thought as to why is that many critical points in our nation's history are centered around the struggle for rights -- the right to be free from British rule and the right to defend ourselves to accomplish that, the right to practice whatever religion we choose free from government intervention, the right to freedom for slaves, the right for those freed people to vote, and later the right for women to vote, the right to be educated, the right for African Americans to use the same public spaces as Caucasians -- struggles like these continue to this day in the United States, and the need many feel to struggle for rights and/or against any perceived oppression of rights is very real. These are just my thoughts on how things seem to be. Others might analyze it differently.