What's your current news about?

Anna Begins

I am in no mood to get into a theological discussion Sousa. I stated what I believe to be true based off MY experiences. You chose to disagree. Fine. We will disagree. Everything is not a debate nor does it need to be debated.

Thank you frankie, our posts crossed and I typed while you were posting yours.

Edited by Virginia

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The United States Supreme Court has legalized gay marriage nationwide.

Just saw this as I was leaving work - absolutely delighted! Between my own country legalizing it last month and now this - it's a happy year for equality :lol:

I was so happy, but not surprised, at the Supreme Court ruling today! I find some of the reactions from conservatives amusing, especially from Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who now wants to eliminate the Supreme Court altogether...an entire branch of the federal government....and he's running for president! :doh:

I was so happy, but not surprised, at the Supreme Court ruling today! I find some of the reactions from conservatives amusing, especially from Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who now wants to eliminate the Supreme Court altogether...an entire branch of the federal government....and he's running for president! :doh:

I also like how some people have said they'll move to Canada. Which legalized gay marriage 10 years ago or so...? :lol: 

legalized.png

Well that's just unnecessarily pedantic on the part of a comic I normally like. Nobody is saying it's different, people are just using a shorthand for 'marriage between gay people', which is an awfully long thing to repeatedly say when a topic is being extensively discussed.

I too am lolling at all the people wanting to move to Canada :lol:

Hmm, I see what you mean, Noll, but I don't necessarily agree that it's pedantic. I think it's just sweet—we're finally reaching a time when we can all just say 'marriage' and not have to make distinctions because it will no longer be an issue. (It's also possibly the least offensive C&H cartoon I've ever seen. :D)

I'm not one to talk though, given my own government's stand on the issue. :(

Haven't one or two of our forum members visited the Eden Project? Because they've recalled some very dangerous bead bracelets that they were unknowingly selling. Article here.

Also, the sooner we implant the mindset all marriages are equal, the less danger will exist for homossexual couples. Gay marriage is slowly gaining traction, but make no mistake plenty of people even in favour may think they are different types of marriage. Half of Europe is still against or reticent about gay marriage, even where legalised it's still a dividing issue that may backtrack depending on the population/government's mood.

Hmm, I see what you mean, Noll, but I don't necessarily agree that it's pedantic. I think it's just sweet—we're finally reaching a time when we can all just say 'marriage' and not have to make distinctions because it will no longer be an issue. (It's also possibly the least offensive C&H cartoon I've ever seen. :D)

I'm not one to talk though, given my own government's stand on the issue. :(

Of course, I too am delighted that marriage is reaching a stage of not being subdivided anymore into 'gay marriage' or 'mixed marriage' or whatever the distinction may be, and maybe they didn't mean to be pedantic, but gay marriage (as shorthand for 'marriage between gay people'), not just 'marriage', IS specifically what was legalised. I think the distinction is still important in the context of the ongoing struggle to obtain legal status for gay marriage around the world. That's just my opinion, obviously, and I don't mean to be debate-y or anything, I'm very much just throwing a view out there :)

When we were campaigning for it here in Ireland last month, one of the primary points we were making is that marriage should be irrespective of things like gender and race. The campaign centers around equality (it was called YesEquality) but as long as the distinction was made in a legal context, we had to refer to the distinction to campaign for it. That's what I'm getting at.

Something a bit different...the largest private piece of land on Earth is for sale...in Australia! 11 million hectares (apparently three-quarters the size of England) for $325 million. Bargain, right? I hope the land stays in Australian hands. Link.

Wow, that's a huge amount of land!

On the motorway very near our house, there was an accident this morning :(. I'd been wondering what all the sirenes were about. Apparently a car driver didn't estimate distances properly and drove into the back of a truck which was standing by the red traffic light. Witnesses say the car driver is dead :(. The police have yet to comment.

On a beach here at least one person is presumed dead after drowing when she was hit by a freak wave.... while walking along the beach. Couldn't believe it when I heard it. Mental note, never go to that beach!

Around my neck of the woods, the main stories are the multiple wildfires burning away all over the state. They're not calling for rain any time soon, but hopefully, the firefighters can still get them under control. :o

Wow :(.

A woman was carjacked in a road that's almost the next road over, not even a few minutes away from here. Apparently the guy(s) drove into her car with his / their car, causing light damage, then he (or they?) threatened her with a sort of electrical weapon (I'm not sure how to translate it) and he drove off in her car. Very scary :(.

Sharks are the topic at the beaches in North Carolina. There have been 8 shark attacks on people recently. A few people have lost arms and others have also been seriously bitten. Some of the attacks are occurring in water knee deep. These attacks are occurring at beaches that have large crowds for the most part.