What's your current news about?

Anna Begins

I've seen the above stories, incredible tragedies. :( :(.

Hard to imagine in a way, but there it is, "in black and white", so to speak.

I see that suddenly Pakistan is able to find the terrorists they were unable to locate before. What a tragedy they didn't do away with them before the loss of those children. :(. I believe they claimed they couldn't before.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There doesn't seem to be much nice news I can post about at the moment. I thought I could post something uplifting from my area to counter all this terrible news but I can't seem to find anything, sorry.

This reminds me! There's one piece of excellent news I can post about Finland. The news is a few weeks old but as I couldn't come online as often as I liked, I haven't posted about it:

They're finally passing the law of gay couples being able to get officially married here in Finland! :exc::smile2: I can't believe it's taken us Finns so darn long.

Edited by frankie

They're finally passing the law of gay couples being able to get officially married here in Finland! :exc::smile2: I can't believe it's taken us Finns so darn long.

This is excellent news!! I'm happy on behalf of all the gay couples in Finland who can now get married or those who might in the future :).

This is excellent news!! I'm happy on behalf of all the gay couples in Finland who can now get married or those who might in the future :).

Me, too! There were three or four stages of voting, and the first ones' results were against it, but the final vote did it. It's actually the first law that's been passed in Finland, that was started as a petition by a 'common citizen' and required at least 50,000 votes in order to be decided upon by the country officials. It's a very historical moment in many ways for Finland! :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

A 7 year old girl walks away from a plane crash that killed four family members. She walks a mile through the wilderness in cold weather with no shoes , one sock, no coat before reaching a house. A sad ordeal - my heart cries for her

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-girl-survived-ky-plane-crash-27973521

Edited by muggle not

A 7 year old girl walks away from a plane crash that killed four family members. She walks a mile through the wilderness in cold weather with no shoes , one sock, no coat before reaching a house. A sad ordeal - my heart cries for her

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-girl-survived-ky-plane-crash-27973521

Yes, so sad, poor little dot. She was amazingly brave, and it's so fortunate the weather wasn't worse or she may have died too.

A woman set herself on fire in the local police station today, she has been admitted to hospital and the latest news is that she's critical, how awful. :(

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2015/01/07/520642-woman-found-on-fire-in-clydebank-police-station/

Edited by Weave

A woman set herself on fire in the local police station today, she has been admitted to hospital and the latest news is that she's critical, how awful. :(

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2015/01/07/520642-woman-found-on-fire-in-clydebank-police-station/

I hope she will be okay :(

A sky-diving plane crashed into one of our lakes. Everyone bailed out and survived. The company has offered free sky-diving for all the passengers and some were going to take up the offer the next day :icon_eek: 

I'm glad everyone was okay, that must've been very scary!

On another note: May the editors of the newspaper in Paris rest in peace :(.

A man in Florida was being chased by police. The police spotted him on a bridge as he tossed his four year old daughter over the bridge. She died and I feel sick to my stomach even as I write this.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/08/child-dies-thrown-off-bridge/21430711/

Edited by Virginia

Here is some nice news from my area:

Sylvia from Helmond supports KiKa (an organisation that helps children with cancer) with cake lamps. She makes them and the proceeds go to charity.

Link (link in Dutch but with photos)

I know it's not world news, but there didn't seem to be a whole lot of positive news to be found around here.

And somewhat less in my area but still in the Netherlands:

The biggest ship in the world has arrived in Rotterdam.

Link

This one is making all the rounds on TV today:

The worst fears of Stephanie Lasca came together in her office bathroom when a 6 foot long Colombian rainbow boa flicked its tongue and poked its head out from within the toilet. 

She screamed and ran from the bathroom, slamming the door and calling the San Diego County Department of Animal Services.

A department employee found the reptile curled up behind the toilet. It was removed and is being tended to at an animal care center.

Officials said the snake probably had not just entered the plumbing because it was underweight and shedding, but they don’t know how it would have survived for an extended period of time. There are no pet stores nearby, so the thinking goes that the animal must belong to someone.

:blink:

A man in Florida was being chased by police. The police spotted him on a bridge as he tossed his four year old daughter over the bridge. She died and I feel sick to my stomach even as I write this.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/08/child-dies-thrown-off-bridge/21430711/

That's terrible Virginia, what a cruel thing to do :(

I know it's not world news, but there didn't seem to be a whole lot of positive news to be found around here.

And somewhat less in my area but still in the Netherlands:

The biggest ship in the world has arrived in Rotterdam.

Link

I LOVE the local stuff!

Something about a grown man killing his mother in her apartment. Another lunatic shooting through an apartment window of someone he's in conflict with. 

But mostly, it's about the terrorist attack in Paris. 

The current news is we had a man attack other people with an axe at a bar in Oulu, on Wednesday evening. He killed two men and then ran and hid. The latest is that he was finally caught, but he didn't go down without a fight. He actually hit a police officer with the axe, but luckily the man wore a helmet and was thus saved :o 

http://yle.fi/uutiset/new_helmet_saved_axe-attack_police_officers_life_investigators_claim/7740425

This has been really shocking for us. That's not to say people don't kill other people in Finland, but this was a big shock. 

Oh my goodness. What an awful way to die! There are so many whacked (crazy) people in the world. It's scary to think that one might pass them on the street and never know what they're capable of. I'm glad the police officer was protected by his helmet.

So many crazies out there, yes! And I'm so happy the police man had a good helmet. Phew!! 

You know, more than a decade ago there was this one incident in the subway in Helsinki, where someone had got up out of nowhere and whacked someone with an axe in the subway and the man was killed. The killer had just chosen a random victim. :no: I still think of that sometimes when I take the subway. :no: Terrifying thought!!