What's your current news about?

Anna Begins

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was reported here that it was during a party - exits were blocked and there were flimsy wooden staircases.  Terrible tragedy.

It was an artist space and makeshift living space for poor artists. So, not an apartment building, but a warehouse that people were living in.

I was really shocked to hear this news, such a tragic thing :(

Yep :( 

Here, in Oakland, California, 36 artists were killed when a massive fire broke out in the warehouse they lived in. Expensive housing and overcrowding in the city have caused lower income residents to find cheaper housing.

I heard about this, very tragic! :(  One Finnish woman died in the fire :( 

• 4 weeks later...

In today's news we have a shooting at a Florida airport, so far 9 people are injured and the shooter is in custody.

The Orange Clown In Charge (OCIC-Donald Trump) has fooled his supporters. He has now reneged on his plans to 1) prosecute Hillary Clinton and 2) he has decided to try and make the taxpayers pay for his bigely wall and then Mexico will pay us back. Yeah, you read that right. Mind you, these are just the bigley lies he broke. And he's in a Twitter war with Arnold Schwarzenegger about his low ratings on The Apprentice.

I can't make this stuff up.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shots-fired-fort-lauderdale-airport/?linkId=33100289

http://www.vulture.com/2017/01/trump-arnold-apprentice-ratings.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-us-paid-back-mexico-wall/story?id=44595291

UPDATE: 

Five confirmed dead.

Edited by Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

In another city in this area, slightly further up north, the capital of this province I live in, a high school teacher committed suicide in front of his students. He jumped off the balcony. I feel quite shocked. I didn't know the teacher nor any of the teenagers, but he must have been pretty depressed to commit suicide in front of all the kids :(.

In another city in this area, slightly further up north, the capital of this province I live in, a high school teacher committed suicide in front of his students. He jumped off the balcony. I feel quite shocked. I didn't know the teacher nor any of the teenagers, but he must have been pretty depressed to commit suicide in front of all the kids :(.

:o

That's so shocking, and how terrible for those students. Such a sad situation for all involved. 

How dreadful, on our local train line we get a fair amount of suicides where people jump in front of trains, as much as I feel for the person, it must be so harrowing for the drivers. :(

We get that a lot too here. I think it's devastating for drivers :(. How do you go on with your life after something like that happens..

• 1 month later...

There was a bus strike scheduled to happen here today (all services country-wide except school buses), as our main bus company Bus Eireann is basically running at a loss and going to collapse soon, even with massive employment and hour cuts which were the cause of the strike. I don't *have* to get a bus to work, it's a 25 minute walk each way, but I really hate having to walk to work (I'll happily walk when I *want* to, but hate being forced to, specially with the wind and rain we've been having lately), so I wasn't looking forward to it. Fortunately, the strike was cancelled, so still gots my buses. :D

That said, I'm going to start walking to work once in a while when I feel up for it, as it'd definitely be a lot better for me. :giggle:

• 1 month later...

Woke up to the Tangerine Troll having bombed a Syrian airfield. We dropped 50 missiles killing seven individuals. When President Obama approached Congress about striking the Syrian regime, he was told no. Trump bypasses Congress and goes in and drops 50 missiles. No discussion, no debate, no real anything. I hate what happened to those people. What bothers me is that we wont allow those same children to enter the US but NOW he's concerned about God's children. He still will deny them asylum. I don't think its about him carrying because he can't change over night. Its all about making HIS statement. Nothing good will about his actions. This bombing was ill thought and ill planned, I'm thinking.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/07/world/syria-military-strikes-donald-trump-russia/index.html?sr=fbCNN040717syria-military-strikes-donald-trump-russia1230PMVODtopLink&linkId=36287023

^  I'm so sorry about the TT as you call him, and what's been done to Syria.  :(  He should be stopped somehow! :censored:

On the other side of the pond, there's been some sort of attack in Stockholm: "Stockholm terror attack: Five dead as hijacked truck ploughs into pedestrians outside department store"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/07/truck-crashes-crowd-people-stockholm/

We are shocked and sad about this here in Finland :(  A friend of mine moved to Stockholm in February, thankfully he's alright! 

Edited by frankie

This is the fourth attack of this sort in Europe within a year, isn't it? Or at least almost a year. I never ever wanted anything like this to happen in any part of Europe (or the world, for that matter), and I'm sad for all the people and all nations that have suffered an attack. But this one hits closer to home as Sweden is so like Finland... I never could have fathomed something like this happening in Sweden. 

I obviously want my friend back in Finland, ASAP, but it could happen over here, too. This is the world we live in now. It's just so ... unbelievable. 

And I know this is rather stupid and hypocritical when there are places in the world where things have not been safe for ages. It's kind of like, why should Europe be safe when there are other places that aren't safe. 

I was sorry to hear of Trump's attack as I'm not convinced it was the right thing to do :(.

I'm so sorry to hear of this terrorist attack :(. It's so sad :(.

I was at Westminister in London a couple of hours before the attackt hat happened there. Having arrived at my destination in Portsmouth, I was quite scared to hear of the attack that had happened. And I dreaded having to go back there on my journey back. Gladly everything went fine. I could see lots of police officers, Westminister was closed off but we drove by it pretty close.

Why can't these people just stop :(..

I feel sorry for all those who lost their lives and for those who lost a loved one :(.

Oh, Gaia!  Scary for you, to say the least. :(     The security is always ramped way up after an attack like that.  Afterwards is probably the absolute safest time to be there. 

As far as Trumps attack, I can understand why he did it, hate it, and yet if a stand isn't taken Assad will just do it more, and worse.  He violated the treaty for at least the second time, and having gotten away with it before, he felt he was free to do as he chooses.  I can hardly believe the war has gone on so long as it is.  Imagine bombing your own people!  He is definitely a war criminal, and needs to be dealt with.

I'm sorry to hear that, Gaia! It's just awful to think you were there only a few hours before it all happened :empathy:  That's quite harrowing :(   And I can definitely understand you were really nervous about having to go back :(    :empathy:   Like you, I just wish it would all stop. 

• 5 weeks later...

The 9th president of Finland, Mauno Koivisto, died last night. He became president only a few months after I was born, and he served for 12 years, and so he was the first president I grew up knowing. I think he was a great president and it feels so weird that he's gone. He's such an iconic figure from my childhood. 

He suffered from Alzheimer's and had been unwell recently, and he was 93 years old, so this wasn't a massive shock, but it's still really sad. :(   May he rest in peace.