Anna Begins

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

A pipeline in Alabama has a large leak. So large in fact that at least 4 states are affected right now. In my state gas prices have risen over night and there is a "state of emergency" in effect. This supposedly allows certain truck drivers to transport fuel. My old hometown is experiencing shortages already. Many gas stations have run out. This should be interesting. I'm expecting price gauging. Last night it was $1.89 a gallon. This morning it was $2.00. It cost me $35 to fill up my tank when usually it only costs about $25. I'm good about not doing too much traveling. I have classes everyday but Mondays are a bit tricky. I have an early morning lab and normally I would just hang out on campus til my next class but its not financially savvy to do that now. I have to pay a dollar an hour to park. there are 5 hours between classes. Its just easier to leave and go to the downtown library for about 2 hours and then go home or just go home and come back at 3pm. Either way, Mondays are a logistical headache. I have to pack my bag for all contingencies. 

This fuel problem will require some serious thought on my Monday travels.

Sorry to hear about the fuel problem :(. I hope it will be fixed soon. From $25 to $35, that's a huge increase! I hope you will still be able to go where you need to go and all that :(. I hope the leak will be fixed soon.

Here, it costs my parents around €50 - 70 to fill up the petrol car (depending on which of the two petrol cars, and the prices). My dad drives his Tesla a lot nowadays though, and the electricity for that is a lot cheaper gladly (and free at the Super Chargers). Petrol is quite expensive here, €1.60 euros for a litre, at the moment (I looked it up), and it's been €1.90 before I believe, at one of its peaks. But, I don't know tons about it as I don't own a car personally.

Last night it was $1.89 a gallon. This morning it was $2.00. It cost me $35 to fill up my tank when usually it only costs about $25. 

I'm sympathetic to your situation, but also astounded by how cheap your fuel is there! (It's very cheap here, too, but most places I have been too are far, far more expensive).

Edited by Kolinahr

I'm amazed as well. I calculated that with 1L costing €1.60 here (1L = 0.26 gallon), it would cost €6.15 here for one gallon, or with the current exchange rate $6.86.

I still feel bad for you that prices have risen so much compared with what you're used to, though :(.

I'm amazed as well. I calculated that with 1L costing €1.60 here (1L = 0.26 gallon), it would cost €6.15 here for one gallon, or with the current exchange rate $6.86.

I still feel bad for you that prices have risen so much compared with what you're used to, though :(.

It's 1.64 UAE Dirhams here per litre, which is actually 0.45 American dollars, and shockingly cheap, but this is an oil country. Still a bit shocked, though, as I've never done the math before.

It's 1.64 UAE Dirhams here per litre, which is actually 0.45 American dollars, and shockingly cheap, but this is an oil country. Still a bit shocked, though, as I've never done the math before.

Wow, that's a pretty big difference. It does make some sense though, since you're living in an oil country and I'm living quite some distance away.

Gas is about $2.15 average here, but that's much less than it was last year.  Gas prices have been going down and have stayed low for awhile.  It's good on one hand for our wallets but not so good for those workers in the oil/gas industry.  My company has a division that works with these folks and we can definitely feel the hit!

We had pretty bad thunderstorms and widespread flash flooding around here last night, which is uncommon for the Twin Cities.  One suburb away from me had streets flooded with water up to the tops of tires on cars.  Crazy!

We had pretty bad thunderstorms and widespread flash flooding around here last night, which is uncommon for the Twin Cities.  One suburb away from me had streets flooded with water up to the tops of tires on cars.  Crazy!

The Twin Cities is the Minneapolis–Saint Paul region? That's what Google tells me. Sorry to hear about the flooding :(. I hope things get better soon.

Wow, that's a pretty big difference. It does make some sense though, since you're living in an oil country and I'm living quite some distance away.

I remember living in Europe and being totally blown away by how expensive petrol was compared to Canada (where I'm from originally). But the countries are much smaller and it's infinitely easier to set up an efficient public transportation system. People are therefore far less physically and psychologically dependent on their cars, which I find to be the healthier option. UAE doesn't have much of a train or tram system either, despite being a small country, but it's also a very young country, with an almost entirely brand new infrastructure, and I know that there are some transit projects in the works. 

I remember living in Europe and being totally blown away by how expensive petrol was compared to Canada (where I'm from originally). But the countries are much smaller and it's infinitely easier to set up an efficient public transportation system. People are therefore far less physically and psychologically dependent on their cars, which I find to be the healthier option. UAE doesn't have much of a train or tram system either, despite being a small country, but it's also a very young country, with an almost entirely brand new infrastructure, and I know that there are some transit projects in the works.

Wow, you've lived in several different places! Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

The Twin Cities is the Minneapolis–Saint Paul region? That's what Google tells me. Sorry to hear about the flooding :(. I hope things get better soon.

Yes, Minneapolis-St. Paul is right, Athena.  I live in a suburb, probably about 15 minutes from downtown Mpls :).

Can I ask what brought you to live in the UAE, Kolinahr?

Three African American men have been shot and killed by police over the course of a week, on the East coast, Midwest and West coast.

Really terrible what is happening between with the police and the black community. Like many people across the world, I have been watching the story develop with hopes of some profound change coming out of the horrors. We shall see. 

Three African American men have been shot and killed by police over the course of a week, on the East coast, Midwest and West coast.

That's terrible :(.

Front page news in the newspaper today was the news of more evidence and research done regarding flight MH17, which was shot down by a rocket 2 years ago and killed many people.

Edited by Athena

• 2 months later...

Wow Virginia, that's terrible. I can't believe some of the comments the article showed!

Today it's Sinterklaas and predictions are tonight will be the coldest night since 20 years. It's freezing in most places now and after 16:30 this afternoon they predicted it will be freezing everywhere in the country. Traditionally Sinterklaas delivers gifts in the early evening or late afternoon for children and their families.

Today's news are mostly about the 23yo. man who shot three women to death in front of a bar Saturday night :(  Completely out of nowhere. And apparently he chose his targets in random. :no: 

The other bit of news that is dominating the press is Saara Aalto visiting Finland, on her final week of the Talent UK competition. 

Today's news are mostly about the 23yo. man who shot three women to death in front of a bar Saturday night :(  Completely out of nowhere. And apparently he chose his targets in random. :no: 

The other bit of news that is dominating the press is Saara Aalto visiting Finland, on her final week of the Talent UK competition.

I was really shocked to hear this news, such a tragic thing :(

Here, in Oakland, California, 36 artists were killed when a massive fire broke out in the warehouse they lived in. Expensive housing and overcrowding in the city have caused lower income residents to find cheaper housing.