What's your current news about?

Anna Begins

Sharks have always been fascinating to me, Muggle.  I wonder why the attacks are happening so frequently right now in NC?  It must just be a perfect storm of big beach-going numbers and temps, maybe?  

A lot of news here is about how 2 Canadian wild fires are causing such poor air quality around my state.  Today is the exception, but it's been very hazy here ever since they started.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The state of South Carolina voted to take down that accursed Confederate flag from atop our State House. After the Civil War, Robert E. Lee said it was time to take the flag down and put it away. During the Civil Rights movement, some yahoo thought it was a good idea to put it back up because they were against desegregation. Many Southerners claim the rebel flag is about "heritage" and "pride in our history." Well here's the question, WHY would you want to honor something that represents oppression, terror, despair and death to over half the state's population? I honestly don't care about it being in someones yard or even their business, it makes it easier for me to know where NOT to enter as a visitor or customer. But where it does NOT belong is atop a STATE building. I don't want my tax dollars paying for its upkeep. Its a slap in the face. What many don't realize is that the Confederate flag to African Americans is what the swastika is to Jews. If you wouldn't fly the swastika because of its history, why fly that rebel flag?

I'm so glad my state has decided to reenter the Union, so to speak. This is a step in the right direction to healing and hopefully some steps towards unity. I do expect a fallout from this abrupt change in our state's history but nothing comes without some kind of pain. The Klu Klux Klan plan a rally next week. I don't know that this is a good thing but they have the right to protest. Many members of the house of representatives were actually threatened by these kinds of groups to not vote to take it down. That should have been a wake up call.

Virginia, I was so happy to hear about this today! I was listening to NPR in my car and they had a recording of the people cheering as the flag came down, and I couldn't help but get teary-eyed! :blush2:

Me too Echo! There are some butthurt people but its to be expected. The Klan and Black Panthers are holding a rally on Saturday at the State House. I plan to be far away.

In other news an act of domestic terrorism occurred at two military installations in Chattanooga Tennessee. It left four Marines and one officer dead. I wish it would end.

Bobbi Kristina, daughter of the late great Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown, died today. She was 22.

I hadn't heard! That's so sad! :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, scary! I'm not a fan of thunderstorms :hide:, ever since we had one hit really close, so bad it shattered a vase off the window ledge in the kitchen. I was taking care of my brother and sister, I was a teenager, and we were all really scared. We did unplug everything we could unplug, just to be safe. I do like looking at pictures of lighting though :).

• 4 weeks later...

We had a mass shooting about 8-9 hours from here.  14 people are dead, 17 are wounded.  It was a center that helped the disabled and mentally ill find shelter and homes, but we just recently had a mass shooting on Friday at a Planned Parenthood (which provides contraception and abortion).  This is the deadliest shooting in 3 years in California.   There were multiple shooters, one still might still be on the run.  It is 1700 and this has been live on TV since 1100.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Donald Trump may be banned from entering the UK. I can't express how funny that is to me! I mean, he wants to be the president but he'll be banned from most of the world because he's so offense. Imagine him hovering above each country in the Air Force One, conducting telecom meetings because he can't land!