Featured Authors - Holly A Harvey & Sam Grosser

This month is a little different, as we have two authors sharing the month. They are both active members of the forum, and have both recently had their first book published.

Holly A Harvey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Michelle!

Thank you for having me as a 'Featured Author' - I'm honoured. :D And I'll warn you that I'm a bit of a waffler! :D

The way that my book was published was far from the norm. Basically, I wrote a chapter of Karma in 2000, and didn't look at it again until 2005, when my mum mentioned that there was a national writing competition advertised in the local press. Even then, I didn't do anything with the story until about half an hour before the competition deadline on the 31st December 2005. I quickly cobbled together a synopsis and sent it off along with my only chapter.

I didn't give it another thought until I got a call in February 2006 to say I'd won the North East fiction round of the competition...and when could they have the complete manuscript. Oops! :D This is honestly the first time I have ever simultaneously laughed and cried. It was all very surreal (and still is) as things like this don't usually happen to me.

I was given the beginning of May as a deadline and completed the 100,000 word manuscript 3 minutes before the 5pm deadline. Even then, I didn't know if it was going to be published - if the manuscript wasn't up to scratch, I wouldn't even have received my prize. I had an anxious few weeks' wait before I got the news that it would be published. I was SO happy, but was still waiting for someone to pinch me and I'd wake up.

I was just very lucky, and still feel my success was somewhat of a fluke - maybe that's why I haven't completed anything else yet!

As I'm among friends, I'll sign off with my real name:

Kerri

Hi - and thanks!

I have always wondered if the things that you do on a day to day basis really do have an impact on your life as a whole. I try to be a good person, but I've had a fair bit of bad luck, and live in hope that things will turn out ok in the end. I suppose I just imagined a scenario where things did work like that and that sometimes situations which appear bad initially, can actually be for the best.

I have always been a keen reader of women's fiction, but am constantly disappointed that the characters don't reflect those that I know. I don't know anyone that lives in the capital, works in PR/marketing and aspires to owning several pairs of Jimmy Choos, as many 'chick lit' characters seem to! I wanted to read about normal people with mundane lives, just trying to get from one day to the next - like most of us do (while keeping a sense of humour). I couldn't find that book, so tried to write it!

Essentially, I wanted to write a book that would pick someone up if they were feeling down, and take them away from their own problems for a while. I hope it gave you a smile or two!

Kerri

Hello to both of you! *waves*

Kerri - I've read Karma and loved it

Samantha - I've not yet read Another Time, Another Place, but I definitely plan on doing so!

A quick question to both of you, as your books are on very different subjects, how did you go about researching (if you did any - I'm sure you did, though!), and what did you enjoy most/least about the research side of things?

Hi and sorry not to have appeared till late this evening - my husband's working nights at the moment (he's a nurse) and as it's school holidays me and the little one are staying out of the flat during the day to give him a bit of peace and quiet!

But I'm delighted to be featured author this month along with Kerri. Wow, your story about getting published Kerri sounds like an author's dream!

My story's very different and I think a far more common tale. I spent about 2 years writing Another Time and Place during which time I sent it to a manuscript assessor (I was living in Australia at the time and manuscript assessment seems to be much bigger there). She made some very valid and useful suggestions and after rewriting it yet again, I started sending it out to agents and publishers in England. Australian publishing tends to be quite aggressively Australian and as my book has nothing to do with Australia at all, I felt I had a better chance in England.

I had a fair bit of interest. Most agents ask for the first three chapters in the first instance (which gets a bit expensive from overseas) and several then asked for the complete manuscript. One publisher passed it on to a senior fiction editor for a second reading. But ultimately no one wanted it.

This went on for 3 years or so until it got to the point where I was more or less ready to give up on it. Then I gave it to a friend to read (Jo Riccione, who's had some success with her short stories and who is a very critical and insightful reader) and when she'd read it we sat down over a bottle of wine and brainstormed about what I could do to make it better.

The changes weren't huge. Basically one of the main characters (Mrs Pilgrim) needed more development to make her more complex, and as I rewrote with this in mind I tightened and refined everything else as well.

Then I arrived in England without my printer which was still on a ship and started sending the manuscript out by email to the places I could find that would accept it in that format.

Macmillan New Writing picked it up a couple of months later and I was bouncing off the walls for weeks.

Sam

Now to your question, Kell.

Research. My book's set in the Second World War and I did loads and loads and loads and loads of research, which I absoutely loved every minute of.

My problem was that I hadn't planned to write a WWII book - it was going to be the story of a child born to an ill-fated couple during the war but when I started writing (completely on an impulse - I was working as a receptionist with very little to do and writing filled the day and made me look busy), I realised that actually what interested me was the parents' story. So that was what the novel became.

Anna's story was quite easy in terms of research - I knew enough about wartime Britain to be able to write her narrative and then just check up on small details (working hours, women's conscription, types of restaurants etc). Tom's story on the other hand was a bit of a nightmare at first, and it took ages before I felt I knew enough to even begin to attempt to write a bombing raid over Germany, or the experiences of an Allied airman on the run in France. His story consequently developed very slowly as I gradually became more confident with the material.

But I found the research fascinating - the bravery of a whole generation was just astonishing in a world we can barely imagine. I'm just finishing another WWII novel, and have a play set then in the pipeline as well. It's definitely an era that I'm drawn to.

Sam

Hi

It's interesting to have two such contrasting stories with regard to the road to publication. I feel as though I was very lucky indeed, after reading Sam's account.

Kell - thanks. I'm so glad you liked Karma. To answer your question: due to my two-month time constraint, I was fortunate in that Karma didn't require too much research. There are several situations that Paige found herself in within the book that I have not experienced. So, basically, I asked anyone and everyone I knew who had been through similar things (I don't want to say what, as it will give some of the storyline away) to give me as much information as they could. I was lucky that people felt they could be very candid with me, and I felt able to put myself in their shoes. Hopefully, it was convincing.

The only other research I needed to do, could be done using the vast resources of the internet (things like statistics, and the correct names for certain phobias). However, when you do use the internet as a reseach tool, you have to check and recheck the information as it can be notoriously unreliable and often contradictory!

I have a question for Sam: how frustrating is it for you, having researched your book extensively, for some people to point out what they see as flaws in your research? I was looking for your book on Amazon, and noted that someone had a bee in their bonnet about your use of the word 'pregnant'!

Kerri

Hi

I have a question for Sam: how frustrating is it for you, having researched your book extensively, for some people to point out what they see as flaws in your research? I was looking for your book on Amazon, and noted that someone had a bee in their bonnet about your use of the word 'pregnant'!

Kerri

That's an interesting point. I was absolutely fuming when I read that review. While there might be a few minor historical inaccuracies in the book (no-one's perfect) that isn't one of them.

I was so beside myself that I googled the woman who wrote that review and discovered that she had also written a book written during World War 2, parts of which were available online. I read a couple of pages and have to say that not only was her work littered with historical inaccuracy (a 1940's child describing a woman as looking like a sumo-wrestler is the one that sticks in my mind) but she also had one of her characters using the word pregnant!

For hours afterwards I was mentally composing rebuttals until I eventually calmed down and got a grip. So I guess the answer to the question, Kerri, is infuriatingly frustrating. I think I'll have to develop a thicker skin if I'm going to keep writing historical stuff :D

I'm not surprised you were annoyed and agree that writers do need to develop a thick skin to get by in the often harsh world of publishing. I could do with a little armour-plating myself! :D

Kerri

Is that partly why you decided to use a nom de plume? I thought really hard about it, and then when I decided I would use my real name I had to decide whether to use Sam or Samantha. I'm still wondering whether or not I made the right decision :D

My decision not to use my real name came about because I decided to write Karma in the first person style. I thought that people would wrongly assume it was a biography if I used my own name - the pen name allowed me to write more freely than I would have done had I been plain ol' Kerri!

The main thing I have found so hard to deal with, is the way that many people seem to think 'chick lit' authors are lesser authors. Someone on another forum suggested that discussions on my book in some way lowered the tone of the board - I was equally upset and furious.

I was also completely unprepared for how difficult it would be to get stocked by 'brick and mortar' bookshops, and how difficult it would be to even get one review in print. It's a vicious circle: if you're unknown/not famous, they won't review/stock you - so how do you sell books and become known?! I was so ignorant of how things work, as I'd never really expected having a book in print! My eyes have been opened, though...

Kerri

The main thing I have found so hard to deal with, is the way that many people seem to think 'chick lit' authors are lesser authors. Someone on another forum suggested that discussions on my book in some way lowered the tone of the board - I was equally upset and furious.

Some forums are like that with a whole range of books though.. they put down anyone who reads chick lit, horror, Dan Brown etc etc. And that's what I wanted to do differently on this forum.. it's all about a love of 'books', no matter what genre, who the author is etc.

I can understand how you felt though.

My decision not to use my real name came about because I decided to write Karma in the first person style. I thought that people would wrongly assume it was a biography if I used my own name - the pen name allowed me to write more freely than I would have done had I been plain ol' Kerri!

What made you decide to go for first person Kerri?

That's what I love about this forum - its friendly and encompasses every genre!

Michelle: many authors avoid writing this way, as they feel it restricts the story. However, I wanted to find a way to make an immediate connection with the reader, and felt that this was the best way to do so. I wanted people to feel as though they knew the main character, so I felt she needed to 'talk' directly to the reader.

It was quite difficult trying to put myself in her shoes, as she often did the opposite of what I would've done in certain situations! :D

Kerri

I was also completely unprepared for how difficult it would be to get stocked by 'brick and mortar' bookshops, and how difficult it would be to even get one review in print. It's a vicious circle: if you're unknown/not famous, they won't review/stock you - so how do you sell books and become known?! I was so ignorant of how things work, as I'd never really expected having a book in print! My eyes have been opened, though...

Kerri

I'm not surprised you were upset and I know how you feel - I've had a few people kind of turn up their nose when I've described the book as a love story. But this is definitely the friendliest forum I've come across and is the only one I've stuck with.

As for getting reviews and into bookshops as an unknown author ... I know how you feel about that too :D

In my case, the publishers sent out press releases and these said that review copies would be available, on request. I also had a few contacts of my own, and sent some from my own allocation of books. I think I spent more on postage than the book's likely to make! :)

I was quite encouraged to find that a number of publications did ask for review copies, but I assume they get hundreds of these every year, and can't read them all. I imagine that newspapers/magazines review books by well-known/celebrity authors first, or by well-respected publishers that readers will identify with.

Personally, I suspect that I was always going to struggle, both being unknown myself and having a new publisher - I still hope that just one women's magazine, perhaps, will take a look at the book and enjoy it enough to review it. It's probably unlikely, but you just never know...

I always compare my own experience with that of a lady called Claire Allan, whom I 'met' on a writers' forum. She was published by a big Irish publisher called Poolbeg - they have invested heavily in her, and her experience is far removed from my own. I enjoy reading her blog (though admit to feeling mightily jealous that she's sold 10000+ copies of her novel!)

Kerri

Next time encourage your publisher to offer review copies to places like here.. you've seen for yourself as a member how people listen to other people's opinions. I'm sure we find plenty of members willing to read and review. :)

My publisher sent out over 50 review copies but only a (small) handful actually reviewed them. It was also very hard work to get copies into local bookstores, with the exception of my local independent and Waterstones in the Galleries in Bristol, who have a big "local authors" display.

I think luck has an awful lot to do with becoming successful - it really probably only takes one or two rave reviews in a national paper or magazine to get the ball rolling. But they do say that word of mouth is some of the best publicity, so Kerri, you never know - we might make it big yet!

I'm hoping that the fact there seem to be a lot of copies of my book in libraries might help spread the word, and I've found my local libraries have been very supportive and helpful.

(But yes, I get mightily jealous of the more successful ones too) :)

Sam

Well, it's official - I have spent more on postage than I got in royalties! :) Good job I'm not doing this for the money!

Michelle: it is disheartening to send out review copies, knowing they'll probably not get a second glance. Maybe we should start a campaign to have the press take an interest in newcomers - after all, the large book chains do a lot for established authors, so us newbies should have a route to readers too! That's the great thing about sites like this: it gives authors who are new, or different, a voice.

And Sam, I'm glad you get jealous too - I don't feel as guilty about it now!

Kerri

Just before I go on holiday, I have one more question for you both, and that is what are you hoping to do next. Do you have another book planned, or other projects? (Kerri, we all know yo're busy counting all those royalties, so what comes after that? :))

Well, it's official - I have spent more on postage than I got in royalties! :) Good job I'm not doing this for the money!

Kerri

Oh gosh thats terrible!! I hope that's not the long term outcome of all your hard work! Would it be cheeky of me to ask what percentage of a book sale goes to the author? And is that what you mean by royalties?

Just before I go on holiday, I have one more question for you both, and that is what are you hoping to do next. Do you have another book planned, or other projects? (Kerri, we all know yo're busy counting all those royalties, so what comes after that? :lol:)

I'm at an interesting stage in my "career" as a writer. Macmillan New Writing turned down my second novel, After the Twelfth, but offered some sound constructive feedback and did say that they would reconsider it if I made the changes that they suggested. I've now made those changes but have decided that I'm going to try other routes to getting it published first. So the manuscript is with an agent at the moment, and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that she'll like it.

I've also got another book almost finished - it's another World War 2 story called Thin Ice. I've been working on this one for a while now on and off and I recently gave it to a well-read friend for her comments. So I'm going through a somewhat anxious few weeks at the moment!

While I wait I'm researching for a play I've been asked to write, set in Burma in the Second World War, and that's my next writing project, hopefully to be produced sometime late next year. I plan to get down to the actual writing once the school holidays are over. Drama is a completely new departure for me and very exciting.

Having so many things on the go is a very nice position to be in as it means I don't have all my hopes pinned on one thing.

And your question isn't cheeky at all, fishandchips: my contract gives me 20% of the publisher's net receipts, which averages out at about £1-£2 a book. Other contracts are probably different.

But like Kerri, I'm definitely not in it for the money :)

Sam