Help Raju the elephant!

frankie

I know some of you have heard of Raju the elephant, who was recently released from the 'care' of his drug addict, abusive owners. You can read more about him over here, for example. 

This is what I just read: 

"

An Indian elephant who cried after being set free from 50 years in captivity may be put back in irons due to legal action by his former owners, according to reports from the Daily Mail

Raju the elephant's plight caught the heart of millions when videos of him weeping after he was freed from the chains he'd worn for five decades went viral.

But his former captors have launched legal action against Wildlife SOS Elephant Conservation and Care centre in India, who freed him.

They say that Raju is their property and it is their right to return to have him returned.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/09/01/06/36/elephant-who-wept-when-freed-could-go-back-in-chains#q5IjBKJrO0ofIWqC.99

"

If you want to help Raju, please sign the petition below! 

https://www.change.org/p/shri-akhilesh-yadav-the-honourable-chief-minister-government-of-uttar-pradesh-keep-raju-free#share

Edited by frankie

Thank you for signing the petition! It would be absolutely horrible if he had to go back. The poor elephant! I hope justice will be done and he'll have a nice comfy rest of his life, with people taking care of him and having fun with fellow elephants and a few cuddles and all sort of pleasantness :) Let's wait and see what happens! 

(If you wish, you can also pass on the link to your friends to get more names!)

• 3 weeks later...

I got this update on Raju's situation on an e-mail:

Raju the elephant remains free despite more court delays

LhmKFmutsjVlyRB-44x44-noPad.jpg
Wildlife SOS

Sep 22, 2014 — Raju's court date was supposed to be today, but it has been delayed again.

The new date is now October 13.

We know you are frustrated with the many delays and so are we.

Thankfully, while the delays continue Raju continues to grow healthier and happier everyday at our sanctuary, and he is unaware that any of this is going on.

We will let you know if there anything else you can do to help and can suggest liking our Facebook page to see photos of Raju's new life and additional updates on our work to help wildlife.

Keep them court delays coming! :exc:

Edited by frankie