Your Book Activity - September 2014

Athena

Going to review it?  :readingtwo:

Probably at some point but don't expect much, my reviewing mojo's been gone for ages and I probably won't find anything interesting to say on it :D 

On page 62 of The Library of Unrequited Love, didn't quite manage to read it in one sitting. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Library of Unrequited Love and started reading The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen, a Finnish author I've never even heard of. I only know about the book because poppyshake asked me about it. When I picked it up, I found the first few paragraphs odd and annoying, but when I picked it up later yesterday, I got straight into it and read 66 pages. I'm really enjoying it :o Thanks poppyshake, and yes, I would recommend it! :D (Although there are a few book spoilers :( The first one is about Crime and Punishment. If you don't want to know what doesn't happen in that novel, don't read TRBLS!)

Edited by frankie

I started to read Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 1: The Magician's Guild. I'm only a few pages in so far but I'm liking it. It's good to be reading fantasy again (of the high epic magic kind), it's been quite some time since I read much fantasy.

I finished The Library of Unrequited Love and started reading The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen, a Finnish author I've never even heard of. I only know about the book because poppyshake asked me about it. When I picked it up, I found the first few paragraphs odd and annoying, but when I picked it up later yesterday, I got straight into it and read 66 pages. I'm really enjoying it :o Thanks poppyshake, and yes, I would recommend it! :D (Although there are a few book spoilers :( The first one is about Crime and Punishment. If you don't want to know what doesn't happen in that novel, don't read TRBLS!)

How was The Library of Unrequited Love? The RBLS sounds interesting. Off to look it up...

Ive just read a good book called A Brief Guide To Stephen King, basically it just goes through everything hes ever wrote & explains the inspiration behind them, all the links between his different books & all the little facts you need to know, a must read for any Stephen King fan!!

Aw. That's too bad. :(

The problem is, and it's really stupid: I seem to remember the part which I didn't like more than the parts that I did like! :rolleyes: So it's my own fault :rolleyes::D

Looking forward to reading more of The Rabbit Back Literature Society today, after I've done some domestic chores. It's getting good! Well, it's been good right from the start, but more and more is happening... :exc: It's not that often that I come across such a great Finnish novel, and author in particular  :o Especially one who does magical realism. So freaking cool :cool:

Edited by frankie

Have finished two books in the last couple of days. 

Sparrow Migrations by Cari Noga and Tunnel Vision by Aric Davis.  The latter is a YA detective story, the first a fictional story of the people involved in that airplane landing in the Hudson River a while back.  Intersecting lives.  Well done.

Reading BBC History magazine right now, an very interesting article about the world before and after the Agricultural Revolution and how Sapiens have changed the world.  Very interesting.  When Sapiens first inhabited Australia 50,000 years ago, 95% of the large animals living there became extinct.  The article also includes how Empires transformed society. 

Also in this issue,  Were the Wars of the Roses a Tudor invention?, Stalin's secret massacre in Poland and myths of Joan of Arc.  They also always have a great book review section where I get some recommendations- like I need more of those :P

I read Moon Bear by Gill Lewis yesterday. Although a children's book, it explains how and why moon bears are "farmed". It's an engrossing read, and heartbreaking to know how these poor animals are treated and the appalling conditions they live in.

This morning I started Toute Allure: Falling in Love in Rural France by Karen Wheeler, which is her second book about her life in France after having moved from London.

Hello!!! Look who's back?! Never really gone away, I've read the posts every few days but I didn't have time to write, sorry about that!!

I had time to read though :D  Now I'm reading some books on japanese culture (for the magazine in which I write) and a Jane Austen collection of novels.. Mansfield Park is the one I'm reading at the moment.

I really miss you all!!!  :kiss:

Hello!!! Look who's back?! Never really gone away, I've read the posts every few days but I didn't have time to write, sorry about that!!

I had time to read though :D  Now I'm reading some books on japanese culture (for the magazine in which I write) and a Jane Austen collection of novels.. Mansfield Park is the one I'm reading at the moment.

Welcome back Ele!!  :hug:  I have missed you! :smile2: 

How are you liking Mansfield Park

I'm half way through The Rabbit Back Literature Society. I'm loving it, but there have been a lot of things happening and I've not been able to give the book my full attention :( I should really sit down tonight and read the rest in one sitting if possible, the book deserves it! 

Welcome back Ele!!! :friends0: Good to see you again. I'm glad you've been enjoying your reading :).

Hi Eleonora! Nice to see you again. :)

I finished Toute Allure: Falling in Love in Rural France by Karen Wheeler this morning - brilliant and has one of the most enchanting dogs I've read about it ages!

​Being good and sticking to the TBR and have now started A la Mod: My So-Called Tranquil Family Life in Rural France by Ian Moore … I think I see a theme emerging … ;)

I finished Timebomb last night. It was alright.

I've just bought two Kindle books from Amazon's Daily Deal: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. I've had them both on my wishlist for quite a while, so I was very happy to see them there!

Last night I started The Emergence of Judy Taylor by Angela Jackson. I wouldn't have thought it was my kind of book but I did have to force myself to put it down and go to bed. Anyone else read it?

Next up im revisiting a place called Derry, Maine to meet a certain clown called Pennywise stephen_king_it_cover_zps4504b1c1.jpg

I've just finished 'Belonging' by Sameem Ali and once my Kindle has finished charging, I'm going to start 'It' by Stephen King too! I have tried to read this before, but could get into it, but I've decided to give this another go.

I've just finished 'Belonging' by Sameem Ali and once my Kindle has finished charging, I'm going to start 'It' by Stephen King too! I have tried to read this before, but could get into it, but I've decided to give this another go.

Its worth it if you can get into it, i think its a brilliant book.