Domestic Violence

muggle not

Hooray for Commissioner Roger Goodell. He is clamping down on domestic violence by athletes in the National Football League.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/08/28/nfl-increases-penalties-for-domestic-violence/20954110/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D522082

It's about time they're getting around to clamping down on those guys..  I started hearing about this sort of behavior at least 20 years ago.  It's taken this long for someone to acknowledge the problem. 

I am so glad to read that.

Often I think people like to separate the 'job' of a person from the 'life' of a person, and suggest that what they do in their private life should have no bearing on their professional life. How can you really separate the two? It's the same person with the same values and morals, be they at home or at work.

Well done NFL!

• 2 weeks later...

They only reason Rice got the boot was because the video was made public. It wasn't Goodell, it wasn't Harbaugh,  it was the angry internet mob demanding Rice be kicked. I'm not saying it's the wrong move, I am one hundred percent in favorite of Rice never returning to the NFL, but still, an angry mob deciding a man's fate is a spooky thing.

As regards athletes and DV .. I cannot believe that Oscar Pistorius has got away with murder. How on earth will the Steenkamp's deal with this!!??!! 

I haven't followed the back story closely.  Was there a history of domestic violence between them?  Some articles said that either a woman or a high-pitched male was screaming just prior to the shooting. 

I haven't followed the back story closely.  Was there a history of domestic violence between them?  Some articles said that either a woman or a high-pitched male was screaming just prior to the shooting. 

It was a fairly new relationship but certainly Pistorius is known for his temper. There were neighbours that testified to having heard a woman screaming but the defence claimed it was Oscar screaming high pitch. He says he thought it was an intruder shut in the en-suite toilet but seemingly overlooked the fact that his girlfriend wasn't in bed!! It's a crock of sh*t imo and I hope we never have to see him on a race track again.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a fairly new relationship but certainly Pistorius is known for his temper. There were neighbours that testified to having heard a woman screaming but the defence claimed it was Oscar screaming high pitch. He says he thought it was an intruder shut in the en-suite toilet but seemingly overlooked the fact that his girlfriend wasn't in bed!! It's a crock of sh*t imo and I hope we never have to see him on a race track again.

I agree. The judge should be ashamed of herself.

I agree. The judge should be ashamed of herself.

I'm quite sure that the female judge knows a lot more about the entire case and all its evidence than we outside of both the courtroom and the country know.

And frankly I would neither second guess her, or judge her.

Edited by pontalba

As regards athletes and DV .. I cannot believe that Oscar Pistorius has got away with murder. How on earth will the Steenkamp's deal with this!!??!! 

Maybe they will get Pistorius on a charge of shooting and killing a person behind a closed door without knowing who was there. What idiot shoots a gun through a door (4 times) without knowing who is on the other side. On the other hand, of course he knew who was there. :)

Maybe they will get Pistorius on a charge of shooting and killing a person behind a closed door without knowing who was there. What idiot shoots a gun through a door (4 times) without knowing who is on the other side. On the other hand, of course he knew who was there. :)

And to not even check where your girlfriend was first ????? No experienced gun handler would ever not do that :icon_eek: 

• 1 year later...

I'm quite sure that the female judge knows a lot more about the entire case and all its evidence than we outside of both the courtroom and the country know.

It appears like an Appeals Court and the prosecutor have second quessed the original judge.

Perhaps he hasn't got away with murder after all. At least, hopefully not. An appeals court has found him guilty.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/blade-runner-pistorius-found-guilty-of-murder-on-appeal/ar-AAfYaxl?ocid=spartandhp

It appears like an Appeals Court and the prosecutor have second quessed the original judge.

Perhaps he hasn't got away with murder after all. At least, hopefully not. An appeals court has found him guilty.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/blade-runner-pistorius-found-guilty-of-murder-on-appeal/ar-AAfYaxl?ocid=spartandhp

Interestingly enough the Appeals Court Judge has interpreted a South African legal concept,

""dolus eventualis" : “a form of intent (in South African Law) where the accused foresees the possibility of an unlawful result due to his conduct, but nonetheless persists in such conduct, reconciling himself or herself to the result in question,” as the South African TV network ENCA explained.https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/12/03/oscar-pistorius-found-guilty-of-murder-faces-at-least-15-years-in-prison/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_headlines

Granted the gun and defense of self laws differ from both state to state and country to country, but in many U.S. states there is the concept that the person must believe (not the courts or judge) that their life is in imminent danger before they are allowed to use deadly force.

Not being a lawyer myself and not South African, I wouldn't second guess their judicial system.  I do wonder though if that would be akin to the American Double Jeopardy.  OTOH, I believe double jeopardy only applies to persons that have been acquitted of a crime. 

Any American lawyers out there? :)

Edited by pontalba

In their appeal, prosecutors argued that Pistorius should have been convicted of murder for firing four shots through a locked toilet door. They said he intended to kill Steenkamp and that she had fled to the toilet during a row.

Judge Leach added that "as a matter of common sense, at the time the fatal shots were fired the possibility of the death of a person behind the door was clearly an obvious result."

The Appeals Panel stated that the original Judge's ruling was "fundamentally flawed".

Edited by muggle not