Best Horror Authors?

Michelle

I'm wondering how many names would crop up if you were asked to come up with the best horror writer. If there aren't a massive amount, I'll run a poll during October, and announce the winner on Halloween.

I briefly considered doing the same with best horror books, but decided the list would be too loooooooong!

Definitely Stephen King but another favourite of mine, perhaps more ghostly and chilling than out and out horror (depends how you define it I suppose), is John Harwood. I also like Dean Koontz. Again I'm not sure how well he fits into the horror category but some of his books, The Taking for example, is definitely horror genre.

Edited by ~Andrea~

I've had Horns on my wish list for ages. Would this be the best one to start with?

It's my favorite of his big three- Heart Shaped Box, Horns and NOS4A2.  The movie will be out on Halloween here!

Without question, for me Stephen King is the best.

"IT" is one heck of a book. I don't believe I have read a book by him that I didn't enjoy. The "Gunslinger" series was also just outstanding especially the book with the "Train" demanding riddles. Doesn't get much better.

Surprising you say that!  I was just thinking I never hear of him on here.  I haven't had the pleasure of reading anything by him yet.

My favourite by Koontz isn't really a horror - Lightning is pretty awesome and is actually one of my all time favourite books by ANY author - so well thought out and well written. :)

My favourite by Koontz isn't really a horror - Lightning is pretty awesome and is actually one of my all time favourite books by ANY author - so well thought out and well written. :)

Oh yeah, Lightning is fantastic :smile:

I will download the kindle sample and check it out- I've always wondered what would be a good one of his to start with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all I'm new to the site so let's see 

Erm aside from Stephen King (my favourite) he's one of the best in the business I've got loads of his books and I love them all when I'm out if I see any I buy them for a modern author King is the best 

But dead

Edgar Allen Poe 

He was fantastic I love each work my brother is a writer same as me and he wrote 2 bits called Cold Ravens and he dictated them both to Poe not a attack thing but a love and thanks for the raven thing

Not sure if anyone has said anything about Poe if so please let me know and if not Poe is cool

On 21/07/2018 at 3:43 PM, Titus Groan said:

Stephen King

Ramsey Campbell 

Clive Barker

Shirley Jackson 

Robert Aickman 

H.P. Lovecraft

M.R. James

Paul Tremblay 

John Langan 

Hmm Interesting list but Clive barker can I ask why?? I read Hellbound heart and the scarlet gospels but that took too much out of me I read it about 4 times I read some got bored read some got bored then decided ill finish it by hook or crook (yes that's an saying I know hellriser used hooks) 

Would love to know why you chose him 

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...