Horror Reads for October

Michelle

I've just announced that October will be Horror Month on here, so I was wondering if anyone would like to do a group read or two. To start with, let's look for suggestions.. does anyone already have any plans, or a book they'd think about reading during the run up to Halloween?

We can leave this thread running for a while, to see if there are any books which seem popular.

I'd love to read a few horrors. Just trawling through my TBR pile, I've got:

Carrion Comfort - Dan Simmons

Misery - Stephen King (a re-read for me)

Ash - James Herbert (heard it's pretty dire though)

But I'd be happy to try any others.

The day hasn't come yet when I won't read a Joe Hill, Clive Barker or Stephen King, and I haven't gotten to do a circle yet, so I'd be in for this.  Sounds fun!  Good idea!  I have Mr. B Gone on my shelf, but haven't read it yet (didn't realize it was so short) so that might be good...

Edited by Anna Begins

Never heard of Mr. B Gone but happy to give it a go. Happy to go with Carrie as well. I wouldn't mind trying Joe Hill. I didn't get on with his first one (Heart-Shaped Box) but he's still on my wishlist as a few of his others sound good.

There is an Audiobook through Amazon for Carrie, narrated by Sissy Spacek, I can totally recommend, it was GREAT.  I'd also be up for a re-reading of Horns.

Edited by Anna Begins

I read Carrie a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. I'm not interested in reading it again so soon (it's too soon), but I'd be happy to join in on the discussion :).

I might be interested in a Joe Hill or Stephen King book, depending on which one and its length, so have to see how what you all think. It'd be nice to read something horror-ish for October. I believe the next Stephen King book on my list to read would be The Shining but I can understand that a lot of people here have already read it. I think I would be interested in reading Horns (after I buy it).

I've read all of Joe Hill's books and can recommend Heart-Shaped Box or NOS4R2, although the film of Horns is also out in October so it might be worth giving that ago. I've read quite a lot of King but something like Pet Sematary or The Dark Half would be good.

• 3 weeks later...

How will we decide which novel to read? Maybe we can narrow it down to a couple of choices, then make a poll or such (multiple votes allowed)? From what I can gather, choices are: a novel by Stephen King (which one?), a novel by Joe Hill (which one), Mister B Gone by Clive Barker.

These ones have been mentioned:

Stephen King:

Carrie

The Shining (previous RC book)

Pet Sematary

The Dark Half

Joe Hill:

Horns

Heart-Shaped Box

NOS4ATU

And Clive Barker - Mister B Gone.

Are we going to read one or two books? We could make a poll that allows for multiple votes, however I'm not sure how many choices in total you can put in (right now there's 8 possible books in this list).

I'd be inclined to make a poll with all 8 choices, with multiple choice, and see how it goes. We could also ask people to respond with an order of preference if they have one, which could help us if there's a tie.

Sounds good. Shall I set up the poll?