Laura Ingalls Wilder Memoir

Chrissy

I know that there are quite a few fans of the 'Little House On The Prairie' series of books on the forum, and I thought this Guardian (UK newspaper) article was interesting.

Entitled Laura Ingalls Wilder memoir reveals truth behind Little House on the Prairie , it looks at the soon to be published memoir from which Laura Ingalls Wilder made her LHOTP series.  

Interesting article on what I think is bound to be an interesting read. :smile:

Thanks so much for sharing that Chrissy! I'd love to read that.  I loved her books and have read them all several times. Isn't it strange that they haven't published her memoirs until now? My sister is also a big fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder and was hoping to visit the places she'd lived on a recent cross country trip of the USA. But many of the places were just too far off their route. (They drove from Los Angeles to New York ....very brave I thought, considering it's all on the wrong side ....I mean, other side :giggle2: of the road to us.)

Interesting link Chrissy. I may take a look at her memoirs, sounds like something I would like.

Speaking of a cross-country trip. My son and his daughter just completed a trip (drove it) from Orlando, Florida to the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. It was about 5000 miles one way. His daughter flew back on Saturday and my son is going to make the drive back by himself (I told them they were crazy for driving that far a distance but of course they paid no attention to me :)). They were in Alaska 2 weeks visiting his other daughter who was there working on an internship. They filmed a short documentary on that part of Alaska while there but probably nothing will come of it.

I had them all- I think there were 7 and I read them constantly.  I'd be awesome as an adult to read her Memoirs.  Alas, we couldn't visit any of her homes on our cross country trip either, they were just too far away.

Sounds interesting - I loved her books growing up and also loved the TV show. I was always aware that they were idealised stories of her childhood, but I always loved the idea of the pioneer lifestyle, difficult as it must have been at times.

I liked the TV show, but as a kid, it always irked me that the TV show was so much different from the books.  But I loved Michael Landon :wub: especially in Bonanza.

Ah, Bonanza!!! One of the great TV Westerns. How could you not love "Hoss".

Sorry Chrissy for taking this off--topic.

Little House On The Prairie was a pretty darn good show.

Edited by muggle not

I was always aware that they were idealised stories of her childhood,

Another programme on a similar vein was The Waltons, again idealised but I don't know as a child, if I was aware of that or not. And I'm not sure if it hurts to have an idealised view of the world when you're young anyway. It was a lovely secure place to be and probably a welcome escapism for plenty of adults as well.

Another programme on a similar vein was The Waltons, again idealised but I don't know as a child, if I was aware of that or not. And I'm not sure if it hurts to have an idealised view of the world when you're young anyway. It was a lovely secure place to be and probably a welcome escapism for plenty of adults as well.

Idealized, yes I am sure. It was however based on the family that lived on the mountain in Schuyler, Virginia. Schuyler wasn't too far from where I lived in Charlottesville, Virginia. I went through the museum house that is constructed to be identical to the house in the TV series. It seemed strange to be in the house. :)

It was an excellent TV series.

Idealized, yes I am sure. It was however based on the family that lived on the mountain in Schuyler, Virginia. Schuyler wasn't too far from where I lived in Charlottesville, Virginia. I went through the museum house that is constructed to be identical to the house in the TV series. It seemed strange to be in the house. :)

It was an excellent TV series.

My dream home was always one just like the Waltons and the one we've owned for 25 years odd is quite like it. Weatherboards, two stories, three gables and surrounded by a veranda. (Still in need of a lot of renovation as it's over 130 years old, but I love it :) ) I would love to see the Walton's museum house.

Please stay off the roof of the veranda.

We have a niece who, when she was a child, was absolutely in love with the Waltons TV series. About 10 or more years ago she came to visit us when we lived in Charlottesville, VA and we took her to the Walton Museum and she was thrilled.

Sorry Chrissy - blame it on poppy. :)

Please stay off the roof of the veranda.

Good way to get a helicopter ride though ;)

Sorry Chrissy - blame it on poppy. :)

Sowee Chrissy for sidetracking your thread :flowers2: 

I can't find a definite date of when this is being published, but it says 'this fall' so I guess that's pretty soon. I hope it comes out on Kindle.

No need to apologise, I have always put The Waltons and The Little House On The Prairie in the same basket.

I wanted the Waltons house. Living on Walton Mountain was a dream to me. :smile: The museum would be a must o visit tif I were ever to travel that way.